Pictures of lower receivers

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Quentin, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Looking at the beautiful picture of a stripped RRA lower VitSports6 posted in another thread I got thinking a thread with good pictures of lowers might be very helpful for anyone starting a new build. Might as well see what's out there before choosing just anything!

Hopefully VitSports6 will add that picture here and I'll start with some I have.

2. Quentin

Quentin New Member

3. Quentin

Quentin New Member

4. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Charles Daly CDD-15

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I'm new to guns and learning. I now see what a lower receiver is. What makes them different? Just looks or do they offer different sorts of shooting? Please be patient, I am very new to guns.

6. VitSports6

VitSports6 New Member

:eek:

Its not my pic, I did a quick google search and viola'

[​IMG]

7. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

WOC

All lower receivers perform four basic functions: accept and hold a magazine, accept the trigger group, provide a pistol grip mounting and secure the stock...5 if you count the pivot and takedown pins...

That being said differences exist in the individual internal components as well as the fit and finish, and manufacturing methods, of the lower itself. JD does an excellent job of recapping the different types of lowers in one of the stickies in the AR thread, bottomline is stay away from the ones Cletus made from old soup cans...:)

So to answer your questions...the type of manufacturing and the quality of the materials used, including the finish, differentiate one lower from the other. Lower quality lowers may suffer from out of alignment issues, poorly drilled holes, machine marks, etc. Not enough to make them inoperable mind you just a little more difficult to work with. Lowers can be, in order of price; cast $, forged $$ or billet $$$$.

For the second part of your question...yes different shooting situations may require a different lower build, especially with the trigger. More precise, longer range shooting would benefit from a two stage trigger...everyday SHTF situations are fine with a standard trigger setup. Triggers are to some like Moby Dick to Ahab...they are on a life quest to find the "one," fortunately there are hundreds available to choose from. Point is, I guess, is that a stripped lower is an open format that the builder can assemble in most any way that suits him/her.

Hope this helps...I would recommend skimming through the stickies in the AR sections...loads of good info there if you're curious. :D

8. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Quentin Defense QD-15

[​IMG]

9. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Thank you very much, Jpyle. I will go searching.

10. MrMilspecer

MrMilspecer New Member

Oh sure, you have a lower with your name on it . How freakin cool :eek:

11. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

How you do that?! Are you secretly a manufacturer? Is that how you have all this great info??

12. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I have one of Quentins' lowers as well lol
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
  13. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heres what happens when your tired, in a hurry and install the trigger guard backwards.
    [​IMG]

Ill have to get pictures of the others.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
  14. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Nope, no relation to Quentin Defense and don't own one. Just found the picture online. :p Used to live in Gilbert, AZ though and last year when I was there was tempted to buy a QD-15.

Nice Chatterbox, mjkeat!

15. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Colt LE 6920

[​IMG]

Colt Match Target

[​IMG]

Colt Sporter

[​IMG]

16. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Colt Armalite AR15 (pre-M16)

[​IMG]

17. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Interesting that none of those Colt's appear to have the proprietary larger size pins ( .171" or .172" something like that ). Must be newer editions, huh?

18. Quentin

Quentin New Member

FN FNX-01 civilian issue lower receiver (rare)

[​IMG]

19. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Tell me more about the Quentin defense. And I see a vague similarity in names...