Pictures of A Weapon's Serial Number

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by silverado113, Nov 16, 2011.

1. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

I've seen a lot of pictures of firearms with the serial number showing. Personally I don't like showing any of my serial numbers for a lot of different reasons. What say you?

2. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR New Member

I heard it don't matter ...Some people on YOUTUBE cover them-up with tape...

3. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR New Member

Is there anything anybody can do with the numbers???...Maybe a Murder weapon or something ???.......:confused:....

4. tellmaster207

tellmaster207 New Member

Personally I don't mind the showing the serial #. I don't like posting how many & what kind I own.

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk

Attached Files:

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

the only way it would make any difference far as i know is possibly on nfa items.

6. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

Big brother! The CIA watches FB and other social network sites, who's to say the ATF isn't taking notes.

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

so your saying we shouldnt give obama's flunky eric holder any ideas...

8. shadamai

shadamai New Member

I don't know if it matters or not but I use Photoshop to fix that. Silverado, take your GFFA avatar, for example :)

9. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

About half of mine don't HAVE a serial number (never had them, not required by law for pre-1968 rifles)

As far as showing the serial number- despite paranoia have NEVER encountered a true case of false reporting of theft of that gun, Making a false report is a serious crime.

I always loved the "My gun is serial number 346XXX- when was it made?"

"Why, it was made in 19XX."

10. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Indeed. Just keep that frame of mind. :)

You do understand how Google, Yahoo, MSN, etc use the "archive mode" to save all your information, right?

That includes all internet forums, and Facebook.

Hence, all intel gathered can be accessed if needed...by the Government.

Keep them gun pictures and serial numbers coming y'all! ;)

Go here....

http://www.archive.org/index.php

11. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

you could possibly lose a gun if it had once been stolen and someone ran the serial number. even if you bought it used from a dealer does not mean that it could not have been stolen at some time in its life. it could have been 30 years or more ago.

12. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

Bingo ding ding ding we have a winner. I lost all my guns in a tragic accident in the Mississippi River ;)

13. hydrashok

hydrashok New Member

...I don't know why I don't learn to not drink coffee while reading the forums. :rolleyes:

14. sarge_257

sarge_257 New Member

pictures

I have very few pictures of any of my guns and then it is when one of my family is shooting on the range or standing by a deer with their rifle in hand. I do have a picture of all my guns, every one of them and a list of the serial numbers, make, model, assessories, value, and who the gun belongs to. And an additional note to my family if a gun is of special value such as my Grandfathers shotgun and pistol or my Fathers Colt cap and ball pistol. But that info is not in my computer, but is in the safety deposit box at the bank.
    Sarge