Firearms Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a jar of pickles someone gave me this past Sunday. At first the lids security pop thingymajigger was down very firmly. Now it is out and I don't know enough about pickling to know if the pressure change is bad or what.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Did it get hot? Anything kept in vinegar will last.

·
Registered
598 Posts
linuxuser3890 said:
I have a jar of pickles someone gave me this past Sunday. At first the lids security pop thingymajigger was down very firmly. Now it is out and I don't know enough about pickling to know if the pressure change is bad or what.
It shouldn't pop up until you open it for the first time, then it stays up. If you didn't open it and it's up it has lost its seal. Not knowing when it was pickled etc. it's hard to know if it's safe. If you're not sure I'd toss it.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It shouldn't pop up until you open it for the first time, then it stays up. If you didn't open it and it's up it has lost its seal. Not knowing when it was pickled etc. it's hard to know if it's safe. If you're not sure I'd toss it.
They are home made.

·
Registered
11,483 Posts
It's just cucumbers. If it doesn't taste like a pickle don't eat it. Ain't gonna kill you.

·
Registered
8,175 Posts
Eat it!!! :D

·
Registered
598 Posts
linuxuser3890 said:
I usually find it to be a bad thing when people start chanting that. lol
Sorry for the bad, advice eat , save it if you wish, when I was a kid and we canned everything we had this weird when in doubt throw it out rule.

·
Premium Member
6,224 Posts
I can a lot of products, including pickles.

Somehow the seal got broken. Personally, I wouldn't trust it enough to eat it if I don't know why or how the jar lost it's seal.

Probably safe, but IMO not worth the risk.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts