Picking My Ammo

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by Olympus, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Well I decided to experiment with my CZ 455 Varmint to see what ammo it likes the best. I went to Midway and browsed through their .22LR ammo and picked 6 different brands of match/target ammo. I bought 100 rounds of each brand so hopefully that will be enough to tell which one shoots the best.

I've got approximately 1000 rounds through my 455 and I figure that the barrel has been broken in sufficiently and things have settled in as far as they'll go. I ordered the ammo from Midway yesterday and it was sitting on my front door when I got home from work today. Hopefully I'll have to some good weather this weekend and I can start putting some groups on paper to and measuring.

Anyone have any guesses on what will shoot best?
    Wolf Match
    Aguila Match Rifle
    Aguila Target Rifle
    SK Target
    Eley Target (Yellow Box)
    RWS Match Target

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  2. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

A lot can have to do with the rum thickness your gun likes. I have a 10/22 that does great with Wolf match, RWS, and Eley match pistol. I did a similar process of trying different loads.

3. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

when testing different 22 ammo I always include CCi green tag as I have found most 22's shoot it well.

4. pranc2

pranc2 New Member

awesome.. i would love to hear how well it all does. i just got the same rifle and waiting on the scope from midway now. It will be a few weeks before i can go out and start testing as well. i called CZusa and they told me that their testing has been best with two eley,s the black and the purple box as well as wolf match grade. i even asked about RWS but they hadnt shot any.
    as well i have more input and your choice in ammo is very close to what my will be.. My buddy whose kimber cv .22 started my love for .22 bolt actions and bull barrels told me that he would sell that gun to me and me only because he knew how much i love shooting it. he didnt really want to sell it for the same reason but when i came across the cz 455 varmint i called to get his stamp of approval. he told me that was one beautiful rifle and i should get it and put the same scope as is one the kimber for a few hundred less. so thats what i did. :D he has had the kimber for almost 10 years and has done much ammo checking in the matter. he would use black eley if he was shooting a match but most of the time just jacking around he would shoot auguila rifle match and match blue and black boxs because they are eley primed and alot cheaper. the auguila will have a few more flingers. Wolf shot as tight as groups as eley but still more flingers than eley. hope it helps and cant wait to hear what you come up with.

5. Olympus

Olympus New Member

I might get to shoot this weekend if the wind lies and I get done cleaning out woods. I will provide updates.

6. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

Since each rifle is slightly different, even if you had two or three of the same side-by-side, you would likely get slightly different results from each rifle.

I've got ten .22 rifles, each does well with certain brands, but dang near every one likes something different.
    Use a LOG BOOK...log your groups, wind conditions, distance, ammo...clean between ammo types,
    at least run a boresnake/patchworm down the barrel...in this way you won't color the results from box to box...
    and I fire at least 50 shots when testing varieties of ammo...groups tend to tighten up as you foul...
    but you want all the same fouling from THAT particular brand of ammo,
    NOT a mix of fouling, as it will skew your results.

7. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Scratch the SK ammo off the list. It wouldn't even group as tight as the Eley Sport ammo I was using for practice.

8. pranc2

pranc2 New Member

what about everything else? really curious about the rws. everything i have shot from them was awesome but never 22lr. I am just looking for one that shoots really well and pretty good so i can do lots of shooting.:D

9. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

Rem subsonic holds very tight groups in my Marlin.

10. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'd be interested in hearing your results as well with each of the brands you tried. I haven't figured out who makes Wolf match .22 ammo yet but figured it would either be SK or RWS since it is a German manufactured round.

11. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Well so far I've been unimpressed with everything I've tried. The SK was the worst, but nothing else has been anything to brag about. I've tried the Eley Target yellow box, the Aguila Match, and the Aguila Target. Neither of those were any more accurate than the Eley Sport I was using for fun. I've still got the RWS to try though.

I mean most of these different brands were about twice as expensive and so far none of them have been any better than the Eley Sport. I have even been using my Caldwell Lead Sled just to take as much of the human element out of the equation.

12. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

Hrm...out of curiousity, did you micrometer the bullets before firing??

There can be interesting variations in bullet width that quite often show unusual results...

13. pranc2

pranc2 New Member

its RWS for sure

my old man has a RWS pellet gun that is awesome as well. that was the first i had heard of them but then got some .45 from them and was impressed,

that is good and bad to hear about all the ammo. i will be getting some eley sport though its pretty cheap compared to everything else.:D

i probably got two weeks before i can go.

14. Olympus

Olympus New Member

No micrometer needed. They weren't even close in terms of group size.

15. Blueguns

Blueguns New Member

I hear the Fiocchi (not sure how to spell that) match grade stuff is pretty good.

16. cbibb

cbibb New Member

You have tried some good ammo.How many rounds through the gun when starting most 22s like a little lead but it sounds like that is not your problem. I know rimfires are picky but with the ammo you are using one of those should work may have a crown or barrel floating problem I've got some CZ and allot of my friends have them and the shoot lights out with Eley target SK standard plus and wolf match which wolf and SK are same they are made in the Lapua factory Eley sport is Aguila ammo. good luck in your quest 22lr is the hardest to get to shoot accurately.

17. pranc2

pranc2 New Member

finially got to shoot my cz yesterday and....

i love the gun.. it is so much fun and soon it will be giving my buddies kimber a run for its money. :D

but ammo is the topic and that is where i will report.

eley sport and augulia rifle match shoot about the same groups and consistency.

fed target shoot well but seemed to have more flingers. it was on or not..

wolf match shot the best with eley match (yellow box) holding the tighest average groups.

wasnt the best day for shooting with a choppy head and cross wind. i was shooting from 50 yards and rested on sand bags sitting. i know i pulled a few and took those into consideration. As for barrel swabbing in between ammo.. i didnt do all that. i was really looking for the cheaper ammo first and i will soon be getting some better stuff to check it out as well. the weapon is also brand new and did start shooting better towards the end.

18. Jeff56

Jeff56 New Member

FWIW SK ammo is the same ammo as Wolf. It just has a different name on the box. There are different levels of each but even there it's just about sorting out the stuff that is out of spec (weight a little off or thickness of the rim off, etc.). Most of us have had really good luck with SK and Wolf over the past few years but lately the Wolf I have bought has been terrible. CCI SV does better and costs half as much. For really tight groups I've been shooting either Eley Black Match EPS or Federal Gold Medal Ultra Match. Expect to go into shock when you see the price of those rounds.

A lot of people have been having good luck with Aquilla ammo. I can't remember exactly which type though. I believe it's rifle match or something like that.

FWIW the worst ammo I've ever shot has been Remington. Yet once in a while I see people who love it. Go figure. Every rifle is different but the Remington I bought would have a hypersonic round then one that barely cleared the barrel. I actually checked a few times to make sure the bullet did leave the barrel. There was no consistency at all between rounds and it was by far the most dirty ammo I've ever picked up.

At times Federal bulk ammo has been good but not lately. For bulk I have been using CCI Blazer. It's been working well for me. Winchester bulk works well too. But it seems things change every other day in the ammo world. Blame Obama because quality control went down when people stocked up after the first election.

19. johnr43

johnr43 New Member

Aquila

I can reccommend Aquila than runs flawlessly in an M&P 15-22, Ruger MIII and a Walther P22. Decently priced as well. :)

20. Olympus

Olympus New Member

I'm shooting a bolt gun so all ammo will run flawlessly for me. :)