Picking a 22lr for my first rifle.

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by sleeper, Dec 8, 2012.

1. sleeper

sleeper New Member

Like the title says. I am looking at getting a .22 shortly after Christmas is Santa doesn't bring me one. Criteria are semi auto, mag fed, accurate, and cost effective. Since my only plans for customization include a scope and bipod I have kind of eliminated the ruger 10/22. So we are narrowed down to the Marlin 795, mossberg 702, and savage 64 Gfxp any and all suggestions are appreciated.

2. Hunterdan

Hunterdan New Member

I'm partial to the marlin. I had a model 60 that was extremely accurate out of the box. Same action as the 795 and just as accurate. Plus you can pick one up for as little as $100 sometimes. If you feel like upgrading it, you can buy a laminate stock from boyds that completely changes the look of the gun.

Dan

3. sleeper

sleeper New Member

I had pretty much made up my mind on the Marlin, but then noticed that there is a 3 inch longer barrel on the Savage. Would that help the accuracy?

4. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

The micro groove barrel on the marlin has been proven accurate. The only problem I see with the marlin for you is the scope. The marlin has a built in dovetail mount. I would go with the savage so you can use a weaver type scope mount.

5. sleeper

sleeper New Member

I guess I need to go put these three in my hands before I make up my mind but I thought that the savage has the same dovetail mount as the marlin.

6. Hunterdan

Hunterdan New Member

The longer barrel isn't going to make a noticeable difference ib accuracy. The marlin barrel is also rather thick compared to some so its almost like a heavy barrel. If you don't like the dovetail mounts you can get an adapter to go to a better and stronger mount. I never had an issue with the scope moving or creeping with the dovetail mounts on any of my guns, 22 or airgun.

7. bstickler92

bstickler92 New Member

I've had my Marlin 795 for a year and a half now and she's a tack driver with a Daisy 4x15 airgun scope on the dovetail mount. I have not had problems with the scope, it came loose after a few hundred rounds once because I didn't remember to loctite it. But that's what you get for a $2 flea market scope. Extra 10 round mags can be had on CTD for $12 to $13. Great rifle

8. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

I would put the Ruger back on your list. Even if you don't add more than a scope it is still a good rifle. The only thing I don't like about mine is that there is no last shot hold open.

9. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

My two favorite 22's (sans my S&W 15-22) are the Marlin 60 and then the Ruger 10/22. I'd take a second look at them.

10. sleeper

sleeper New Member

I know everyone loves the ruger 10/22 but unless I'm gonna start dressing it up I can't see a $60 advantage over the marlin or savage. I hear great things about the Marlin 60 so that's why I am interested in the 795, because its mag fed.

11. Jeff56

Jeff56 New Member

The 795 would be my choice of the rifles you mention. Savage isn't known for making a great semi-auto rifle. You probably left off the two best choices which would be the 60 and the 10/22. People can think the 795 is the same as the 60 if they want but I have both. The 60's are better rifles. But I love my 795 and I might shoot it more than any rimfire I own. It's so light and easy to aim I forget how much ammo I'm putting through it at times. It's easy as heck to burn up a brick in an hour. They are super plinking rifles and even better hunting rifles. If I want to sit under a tree and wait for a squirrel I'll take a heavier gun. If I want to walk and hunt I'll take the 795 every time. They are nice. I just like the 60's better.

The differences between the 60 and the 795 are almost all about the feeding mechanism of course. IMO the 60 feeds more reliably and I've own both a long time. I've been shooting 60's since about 1965.

12. mrt8110

mrt8110 New Member

in order,Savage,Marlin..................................................................Mossberg

:)Cliff.

13. mrt8110

mrt8110 New Member

In order Marlin, Savage, ....Mossberg.If you put the ruger in the Mix add almost another 100 bucks.I myself would pick the Marlin 60 about 160 bucks at Dicks.:) Cliff

14. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

My problem with dovetail mounts is removing the scope. With a weaver mount the mounting screw sits in a slot. When you remove the scope to clean or repair the gun the scope goes right back in the same place.

With a dovetail mount you have to mark the gun or guesstimate where the scope was located. Neither method works as well as a plain old weaver mount.

I like being able to remove the scope. So I can clean or repair my gun in a jiffy. When I put the scope back on the gun 99% of the time the scope is still dead on with weaver mounts.