Picked up my new gun last week..

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Orlandorealtor, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Orlandorealtor

Orlandorealtor New Member

Kimber Ultra Stainless Raptor II. New to shooting so went the range on Friday. I have taken the CC class and the First Steps class. First time I had shot a .45 so the bang the first time was pretty neat. Didn't do so hot(chart below) so don't laugh but it was my first time. Target was at 20' the closest this indoor range allows. Will ask someone at the range to watch me next time and give pointers. Jerry

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  2. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Keep practicing Jerry, it will come in time. I don't know how far you were from that target, but the good news is that you kept your rounds, except for one, on target! :D

It will get better the more you shoot and may I possibly suggest a introduction firearms class with some good one on one instruction. It will help as well, especially if you have never really been exposed to shooting.

Have fun and enjoy. :D

Jack

3. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Jerry, at what distance did you pepper that target?

Let me give you a little secret I use on new shooters (especially with big bore mouse guns) when I train them.

Given:
    1. New to guns
    2. Mucho $ laid out for great gun
    3. I do not want this person to get frustrated
    4. MOUSE gun, they don't shoot like 1911s
    5. MOUSE gun, they are a CQB PD weapon
    6. Must achieve happy happy joy joy

First on the agenda after the basic safety stuff, crank the (large) target out to 3 meters/<10'.

The large target allows the shooter to see shot placement and walk the rounds into the 10 ring. I let them shoot at this distance until the shooter lets me know to move further out. Success builds success and if they are enjoying themselves let them have fun.

At this close range it is easier to make corrections to form and placement with a much higher success rate. Once you embark on a path and experience instant success, the remaining journey is pleasurable. I would probably be playing golf today instead of shooting, if the distance to the flag was adjustable.

Ignore the long ball shooters around you. You have selected a short barrel (sight radius) PD gun for CCW. IMHO, any shot > 15 meters isn't personal defense, it's hunting!

4. Orlandorealtor

Thanks for your reply. I was at 20 feet the closest this indoor range would let me get Will go back out to the range and work on it this coming Friday. Also read a good article on dry shooting practices. Will do some of that too, to try to improve my stance and sighting, Jerry

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  5. Orlandorealtor

Thanks Jack, Was I think 20 feet. That is as close as they let you get in this inside range. Yep, was happy that all but one was on the target but would like to get them in a closer bunch towards the middle Will talk to one of the instructors this week and see if they can be there with me when I go back this Friday.

6. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

The pistol is obviously defective! Send it to me before you get hurt!

Not buyin' it, huh? Oh, well. :p

Nice pistol. Practice really does make perfect. See if you can practice at 7 to 15 yards. Those are realistic distances. :cool:

7. Orlandorealtor

Thanks CA, I was at 20' which is almost 7 yards. Going to dry practice this week before heading back on Friday. May see if I can get one of the attendants to watch me for a few rounds. Will post improvement then. Jerry

8. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Keep us in the loop on how it goes. I guess I misread your post. I thought you were shooting at 20 yards.