Picked up my first Colt

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by red1027, Jan 7, 2010.

1. red1027

red1027 New Member

here she is...I picked her up yesterday. It is a Colt MK IV/Series 70. Government Model .38 super. Went to the range today and it felt awesome.:D At this moment all I have is this one pic. But i will add a few more later... hope you all like :cool:

[​IMG]

2. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

I like!! :D

Them series 70 Colts sure are purty. Congrats on your new/old baby, and good shooting. :cool:

Jack

3. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Sweeeeeet.........love them Md 70s.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I sure like me some Colts!

4. red1027

red1027 New Member

well guys seems like i ran into some very bad luck...As I was cleaning the gun right now I noticed that the slide and barrel are from a Colt MK IV/Series 70. Government Model .38 super, but the receiver isnt. The reciever is a Caspian Arms LTD and the grips are Hogue.

Luckly, I gave the guy a 200 dollar deposit while I tested out the gun to make sure it was in good working order. Here is my thing, do you guys think I should just pay the remaining balance which would make it a total of 500 for the gun or get back my money?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  5. red1027

red1027 New Member

6. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I can't tell you what to do under those circumstances. Personally, I wouldn't do the deal.

7. red1027

red1027 New Member

Yea, i am definitely not going to complete the deal.

I feel embarrassed that I didn't noticed when I first saw the gun, but yet I am glad that I still haven't completed the deal.

8. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I like it!! I'm convinced my next 1911 is going to be in 38 super(just don't tell Mrs. Spittinfire), yes that's right, I said next 1911.

And I just saw the additional information...I too would walk away, unless he wants to let you have it for the $200.

9. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Just an FYI - Caspian makes a great frame. If the gun was put together by someone with some skills - it was probably worth the $500...

10. Hobo Bob

Hobo Bob New Member

I totally agree. Caspian makes some good stuff. You may have lucked into a deal of a custom gun the sellers not aware of. You could always point out to him that it's not the 'stock' gun you thought you were getting, and possibly get a discount, but overall, I think you got a nice buy. If it shoots great, and "feels awsome", why not keep it?

11. jimbobpissypants

jimbobpissypants New Member

I agree. It's not like you are paying a ton of money for it. You shot it and like everything about it, so personally, I'd try for the discount and buy the gun.

12. red1027

red1027 New Member

Thanks!!!

After much debate...and literately a sleepless night..I think I am going go ahead a keep it. Thanks for the advice guys. I am going to point it out to the seller maybe I can get for less.

I have a baby on the way and after a lot of persuading and begging..I convinced my fiance to let me purchase a real colt. I will be buying it from Bud's Gun Shop. I will be another .38 super but this one will be an 80 series all in stainless steel.

In the end this sad little tragedy, turns out pretty good:D

13. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

M'kay......wanna think about a Colt in a different caliber, since you already have one in .38 Super.....like maybe a .45?
    [​IMG]