Picked up a used Model 915

Discussion in 'Smith & Wesson Forum' started by chloeshooter, Jan 17, 2014.

1. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

Saw this at the LGS today while looking for a 9mm carry that I don't care if it takes a beating. Decided it needed to go home with me. After taking her down, I was able to see this has not been shot much at all. Next to no wear and tear on this....think I got lucky!

I have seen reviews that say the Model 915's are anywhere from great to good. Dependable and durable is what I was after so glad to have found this piece

Anybody else have experience with these?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  2. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Just a no frills 5904. Lacks the ambi safety and the sights were plastic. Solid performers none the less.

3. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

Think you have this confused with the 910. Sights are metal

4. JW357

JW357 New Member

Interesting piece. Congrats.

5. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

First range trip today. Operates flawlessly and has a great trigger reset a well.

There are no markings on the rear sights and I am not quite used to that, but grouping seems to be decent for what this gun is for (carry). Target is 7 yards not timed

Attached Files:

6. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

Rear sights

Attached Files:

7. robocop10mm

The early ones had metal sights. Most of the later ones were plastic. People frequently changed them out. I installed night sights on many a 5906 and used the take off sights to upgrade several 910s and 915s

8. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

It seems like a great platform. The 915s were only made in 1993 and 1994 then they went to the 910 using a lot of plastic and a 10 rd magazine due to the AWB.

I am either going to change out the rear sight or more than likely paint it. Its a carry gun so as it is plenty accurate for that purpose

I'd like to get a nickel plated 53xx model at some point

9. robocop10mm

I'll have to do some digging. I may have a few sets of 5900 series fixed 3 dot factory sights if you are interested

10. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

It has the old original design used in the S&W Mdl. 39. S&W simply up dated the Walther P-38 9MM DA pistol. Both were honorable parents.;)

11. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

yes I am interested, please message me if you are able to find them I'd like to hear more

12. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

Here she is with Hogue rubber grips installed. Very nice feel, but would not recommend if you have small hands as these grips add approx. 1/8" to the width on each side. These definitely give the gun a much more solid feel

Attached Files: