Picked up a tactical

Discussion in 'Mini-14 Forum' started by danolator, Jan 13, 2013.

1. danolator

danolator New Member

Picked up a brand new, never been fired mini this morning from a private seller. Came with Ruger 20 rd mag, scope rings, some off-brand 30 rd mag, & 100 rounds of ammo. Not proud of the price, but I got me one. Now for a fore grip. Thank God those are cheap.

2. tri70

tri70 New Member

I saw a mini 30 with a 20 rd mag at an lgs selling for $1085. The 223 55 gr ammo fmj was selling for $1/shot! You can buy 7.62x39 for $7/box.

3. nosaj

nosaj New Member

Saw 2 at a gunshow this weekend. One wasnt even the ranch model.....$1000 and $1200

4. danolator

danolator New Member

That's making me feel a whole lot better about my deal. Ordered a fore grip and bipod today. It is going to be very hard to track down ammo.

5. danolator

danolator New Member

Here's a couple pics:

Attached Files:

6. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

So What makes it tactical??

7. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

because its tacti.

and cool.

:D

8. hawkguy

nice! you should look up images of mini tacticals in wood stocks. suh-weet! :D

i always thought if i could justify another mini (i really can't :(), that i would get a stainless tactical and dress that beast up in wood. seen a few done this way, and they are a beauties!

i'm trying to brainwash the tactical crowd over to the "wood side," one by one.

congrats on the mini. is it your first?

9. danolator

danolator New Member

I think it's tactical because of all the functional options like the folding stock and the picatinny rails give it all kinds of versatility. And it is pretty cool.

10. danolator

danolator New Member

Yea it's my first rifle like this. I am like a kid thinking of all the options.

11. hawkguy

and i think the mini is very underrated when it comes to options.

want tactical nightmare? slap a pistol grip railed stock on it.

want "friendly" looking hunting style rifle? wood stock & 5 round mag.

want scout set up? add an appropriate stock & rail & optics.

want a "m-14" or "M1carbine" copy in modern 5.56? seen that too!

folder? synthetic? wood? folder in wood or synthetic! :D

with one mini and a few stocks, you can have many different guns!

just open that wallet up wide! :D

12. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

OK, It is black and has rails. Besides being based off the M14(M1a) operating system, what else does it offer?? What options does it offer? It is not light, so close quarters is out and the folder is useless. It has rails that you can hang stuff on, but that adds more weight. It is not accurate enough for anything over 150 yards, ok 200 yards. You have irons, so back to 100 yards. W/ the right scope, 200. Don't get me wrong, I think it is a fine design, but Ruger never took the platform and made it awesome. They could have. Just as they did w/ the 10/22 they were more interested inselling aftermarket parts.
    Practical beats Tactifool every day. This 1st carbine had 17 years of use before it's 1st failure, no cleaning except external lube and bore. Just a cleaning and it was back in action. Feel and sights are like the MP5
    [​IMG]
    Second is awesome, Cugir built semi AK74.
    [​IMG]

Hunting mode.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  13. danolator

danolator New Member

I'll give you all that and I don't give a $hit anyway. Ruger makes great guns and this Ranch Model with the tactical kit is cool. With the foregrip attached & the 16" barrel, the folding stock does provide a close quarter option. The weight? I guess if your workout doesn't exceed 12 ounce curls, then yea, it's heavy.

14. tri70

tri70 New Member

It's very light and quick handling, shoots without fail.

15. danolator

danolator New Member

That's a really great rifle BTW. Even if I didn't like it, I wouldn't rag on it because it's yours and you really like it.

16. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

I have to say Man that was cold! Not everyone is at your level you might consider that when you feel the need to flex your muscle;)

17. hawkguy

j
    huh? the mini offers plenty. i'll explain.

huh? a synthetic stock mini weights about 6.75 vs about 6.5 for your standard AR. and of course anything you add, adds weight, but that applies to any rifles. and normally you are talking ounces.

uh-oh. you opened a can of worms here! ;) i don't know how someone could post pics of an AK (notoriously bad accuracy) and then try to crap on a mini for its accuracy. i'd be willing to see if that AK of yours can hang with my mini. the only AK i shot couldn't hold a candle to my mini's accuracy. but maybe yours is better....

ok, good point and i agree. :)

come on now, buddy. :rolleyes: no need to diss someone else's choices. i'm not a big tactical style guy, but many people like the tactical looks and functions. gotta respect that, even if ya don't agree.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  18. danolator

danolator New Member

Made a couple mods. Put 1st rounds down range today. Shoots pretty good.

Attached Files: