Picked up a romanian ..

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by MobileMarine, May 23, 2011.

1. MobileMarine

MobileMarine New Member

I picked up a romanian this weekend , fires good and seems to be in good shape . But the side folding stock is missing as are the pins and harware for it . Also what is the hunk of steel riveted on the left side of the receiver ? Would you guys go back with folding or buy a wood fixed ? Is it even legal with out the stock on it right now ? Granted it looks cool as is but very hard to shoot .

2. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Oh, I was going to say where did you meet her and what's her name. :D

Congratulations on the new gun.

3. canebrake

canebrake New Member

It's an optic mount.

[​IMG]

4. Davo45

Davo45 New Member

I'd recommend the Wood

I'd recommend the wood stock if it will fit....I've got a WASR-3 with a wood stock and have been pleased with it. Depending on your state laws, your rifle should be legal without a stock as long as the barrel is still 16" long....otherwise it couldn't be sold legally with a folding stock under federal laws.

Chances are, it is legal in your state if it was originally purchased within your state from a licensed dealer as they have to abide by all local, state and federal laws or risk losing their FFL.

I will never understand why some people remove stocks from a rifle. It basically turns the rifle into a long, heavy pistol making it ineffective past point and shoot distances.....far closer than what it was intended.

5. MobileMarine

MobileMarine New Member

the barrel is 14in . and i knew it was a optic mount .... i just wanted to see if you guys knew what is was:D . And yes I need to find a stock , im not a fan of putting a bare assed ak close to my face to aim . I was thinking of buying one of those ''parts guns '' that have been cut in half to try and rob the furniture off of it . Prob a overcompensating atf agent sell it on gb lmao . I dont want to ruin it by putting all of the stupid black plastic stocks that look like hell , im more of a fan of the purrty wood

6. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Some guy with nothing better to do, posted up a bunch of AK-related sources where you can find good stuff for cheap.

IWDwoodpile

If I were you I'd just match up a whole new furniture set and finish it up sweet. . .

7. orangello

orangello New Member

:confused: I thought it had to be 16" on a "rifle"???

Wait, it isn't one of those "Draco" AK pistols, is it?

Romanian AK Draco Pistol #AKAGUN-PIS

I'm fairly sure that you are NOT supposed to put a stock on them, ATF happiness-wise.

8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

There are PISTOLS with a permanently welded stock- cannot be unfolded. If you have a handgun with a 14 inch barrel, and you add a shoulder stock to it, you have just "manufactured" a Class III firearm- a Short Barreled Rifle. Unless you have the paperwork showing where you paid the BATFE a $200 tax BEFORE making it, you have just committed a Federal felony, punishable by 10 yrs in a Federal prison, and a fine of not more than $250,000. With a VERY few exceptions (orginal Artillery Lugers, original Browning Hi-Powers, orginal Mauser broomhandles) if it has a shoulder stock, OR a forward vertical grip, it had better have a 16 inch barrel, 26 inch overall length- or 18"/ 26" for smoothbores.

Careful, grasshopper- you may be on the verge of a VERY expensive legal education.

9. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Sure you did.

10. MobileMarine

MobileMarine New Member

i will post some pics . its not a draco it has the block where the stock use to be with two vertical holes . bear with me as i will get some pics up soon

11. orangello

orangello New Member

Good sign! Just curious, how did you measure the barrel & did you include any permanently attached muzzle devices?

Regardless, I bet it will end up being a FUN gun; just gotta watch out for the ATeffers rules.

12. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

We are now at the point that. . . Pictures are now needed! This thread is now useless with out.

You might be on to something here. . . At first I was thinking (as it was presented) that the OP stumbled upon a partially built AK in need of a few parts, which would have been cool . . . :(

Regardless of it"s "unofficial" classification either as a Draco pistol or other. . . if it has a barrel less thanb 16"", then it must have a permanently attached muzzle device bringing irt ujp to the proper (16") length. OR a "tax stamp" must be purchased classifying the weapon as a SBR.

P.S. Pictures!!!!!

13. MobileMarine

MobileMarine New Member

gotta love the blanket .....

[​IMG]

14. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Hell Yeah!!! I love getting guns with a little something missing or broken that is easily fixable, but saves some loot for rehabbing the entire piece.

Hopefully this was the case here as it is an expensive part to replace. .. You have several options. . .

To have a SIDE FOLDER: Which is most desirable.

There are countless places that you can order the stock. Most places will also include the hardware, some will not. Its been so long since I've messed w/ a side folder that I forget what you need, but these guys know: :)

Arsenal, Inc. Side Folding AKS-74 Style Busttstock Assmebly AK-47, AK-74 Stamped Receivers Steel Matte - MidwayUSA

or this option:

Surplus Side Folding Buttstock AK-47 Stamped Receivers Steel Black - MidwayUSA

If You Want Fixed:

I can't see the top of the receiver, to tell if there is any sort of "tang" (with screw holes) for attachment of a wooden stock, if there is, then a wooden stock may be fitted w/o any modification.

If there is no tang, then you have a fun little project! ! ! ! Al you need to do is either drill a hole through the recveiver and attach a tang by either riveting, ;) welding or simply using a machine screw with some loctite to hold the tang. You want the tang firm, firm, firm. . . indestructible as the stock is, well, a stock and needs to take abuse. ;) Tang available here :
    AK-47 Parts : AK47 Accessories & Parts

The stock will fit inside the receiver as tightly AS POSSIBLE!!!. Use shims if necessary, so there is NO movement and you can't pull it out by hand. Then you will pre-drill your holes and run about an 1-1/4" to 1-5/8" wood screw or 2 (depending on type of tang) with very aggressive threads into the buttstock. I usually coat my screws with titebond or elmers.

Then you're shooting like normal. SEE TANG!

Attached Files:

15. MobileMarine

MobileMarine New Member

i dont think i like the side fold , it does have a tang up top and on the bottom so i may just throw a chunk of wood on it . it also did not come cheap , it took about 6 beers , 5 hrs of nego , a mossberg .17 w scope and 300.00 bucks to get the damn thing but the victory of getting it from the deal master buddy was worth it as i drove back to my house on my grizzly @ 2am holding a ak47 i just got from the guy notorious for buying cheap and selling high .:D Now if i can just get the pen gun and the sigma from him my destiny will be complete

16. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

It does kinda look like one of those (fixed - into- folding) type stocks

17. orangello

orangello New Member

You were right, not a Draco; the gas tube & sights are a bit different on them. So, how do you measure your barrel? I was told the easiest way was with the cleaning rod; stick the rod down the barrel to get a measure from the bolt to the end of the barrel.

18. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

The guy with the strange bear phobia is right! Stick rod down bore until it hits closed bolt, mark and measure.

19. Ltriker

Ltriker New Member

Better remeasure that bbl...really looks stock and 16.25"...

Did you measure from the front of the receiver?