Firearms Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Pistol and rifle calibers
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My father in law doesnt reload anymore and I am grabbing his press and everything i can to reload .223.

It goes without saying, i have a lot to study before i reload my first round…but in this day of shortages, i will grab a box of primers, .223 brass, bullets manuals and so on.

i will hopefully by winter i would have finished abc’s of reloading.

I do not know what powder should I grab for later.

any ideas?

Fluid Liquid Flooring Wood stain Gas Font Drink Wood stain Packaging and labeling Advertising Product Drink Automotive tire Drinkware Font Bottle Product Liquid Fluid Plastic bottle

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
My father in law doesnt reload anymore and I am grabbing his press and everything i can to reload .223.

It goes without saying, i have a lot to study before i reload my first round…but in this day of shortages, i will grab a box of primers, .223 brass, bullets manuals and so on.

any ideas?

View attachment 245868 View attachment 245869 View attachment 245870 View attachment 245871
Buy it all & you will be set up as your needs grow .

·
Registered
280 Posts
I love the pictures and the prices you can pay him list price he paid and be OK , and don't throw them cans out they are collectable today . The press and everything he has you will need and it never goes bad .

·
Premium Member
2,320 Posts
I use IMR 4198 for .223. Small charge compared to other powders. 21 grains. I get 3000 fps out of a 16 inch barrel with 55grain jsp bullets. They group very well. That is my standard bulk load.
Do study up, use resources like your father. Don't accept any advice like what i just gave you unless from a reputable source. 😁

·
Premium Member
2,162 Posts

any ideas?

View attachment 245868 View attachment 245869 View attachment 245870 View attachment 245871
Read the manual. That's what it's for. Pick a powder that gives you the velocity and other characteristics you want from your loads and bullets you want to shoot, try it, and go from there. That's one of the parts of reloading makes it fun and worthwhile. You work up a load carefully that works well in YOUR guns. Loading to other peoples advice can be dangerous. Pay attention to a good manual.

·
Premium Member
14,711 Posts
I like H335 for 223. It has been very accurate. Varget is also accurate but it is a compressed load.

Reactions: AgedWarrior

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
I appreciate any advice I get cause powder is still a little hard to find and if someone has great results with something I want to know. I still always crossreference any load with a manual or 2 before I try it. Varget is what I used on my first 556 reloads and it seems to work well. Still looking for 4198 and Benchmark. If you don’t like the Varget loads don’t worry cause you can load a lot of different rifle cartridges with it.

·
Supporting Member
13,066 Posts
BeeBad

Any one of these Powders are good for loading the 223 Ammunition.
Hodgdon H335, BL-C2, CFE 223, IMR 4198, Winchester 748.
The main issue at this time, is which one will be available to you! With a lot of reloading products pretty scarce on the Shelfs now! But any of the above is good. I prefer one of these snice I have used all of them at one time or another. H335- IMR 4198 and BL-C2. If you plan in the future to load other calibers you might choose a powder you buy that also could be versatile and can be used for the others. The other issue is it costs too much to ship it to you since it is considered a Hazardous product! BUT FOLLOW YOUR RELOADING MANUAL! (y)
Good Luck and we will look forward to helping you! There are a lot of knowledgeable Reloaders here on the FTF!:)

·
Registered
280 Posts
I've never seen powder go bad but some say it will smell rancid with the prices it must date back to the 70s .

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
I’d be more worried about the formula changing over the years. Someone gave me old powder and reloading info that didn’t jive with any of the newer manuals. 2400 comes to mind.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I believe the BL-c powder is the old formula as it's marked lot #2 which I believe has different load data . Each to his own on this I would load it at starting load levels but that's me not you , use your own judgement .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am absconding with about 8 pastic boxes of .223 that he loaded , who knows when. In each box he has all the current load specs, for every parameter for that round of reloading., bullet, wt. power, grains and so on. I cannot wait to get home and order some reloading manuals…there is probably a reloading for idiots….

i didnt mention that it is an RCBS 9366. I am rummaging around on his bench looking for anything that looks RCBS green in color so I can walk off with more free stuff!!!

Can you guys recommend a couple reading titles …..ABC of reloading? Reloading for idiots! If there is such a thing.

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
Almost all my manuals start with the basics about how to start out. Always check everything you do very carefully especially case OAL and powder charges . There’s many mistakes to make and things to learn but keep the safety at the top.

·
Premium Member
4,936 Posts
Can you guys recommend a couple reading titles …..ABC of reloading? Reloading for idiots! If there is such a thing.
I'd suggest considering these titles:

1. Modern Reloading, 2nd Ed, by Richard Lee

2. Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading, 11th Ed

3. Lyman 50th Edition Reloading Handbook

Each of these titles have several chapters devoted to explaining the various steps, the right sequence, optional detail-oriented steps you might consider adding, etc. Perhaps not strictly "reloading for dummies" I suppose, but I find them fairly good. Haven't reloaded in nearly 30yrs, so I'm just getting back into it. The descriptions and coverage are pretty good, and I find them fairly easy to understand and follow.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Nice score, sir - my current fave for 223 is Win 748, but in todays world I load what I can find that will work. X-Terminator is another favorite, especially since there are actual 5.56mm pressure loads in the Accurate Arms downloadable manual.
Lyman books are generally the best.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Why don't you spend sometime with your father inlaw and learn as much as possible , he is giving you alot at least have him over for dinner and make the most of his generous offer to set you up in reloading .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Why don't you spend sometime with your father inlaw and learn as much as possible , he is giving you alot at least have him over for dinner and make the most of his generous offer to set you up in reloading .
We come up to NH and hang out a couple times a year to climb, fish or ski and climb…He hasnt reloaded in a long time and he barely remembers. He has thousands if rounds of calibers I do not shoot. 7mm, 30-06, 25-something, big big cartridges. I loaded everything i could find but couldn't find the case holder for .223…I boxed everything up, and happy to have lotsa of powder, primers and .224 bullets and stuff.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts