Picatinny Rails

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by easterner123, Apr 10, 2011.

1. easterner123

easterner123 New Member

Can you use a standard scope mount to mount a scope on a picatinny rail system or are there special mounts? I'm thinking about getting an M16A3 kit soon, so I'd like to know if I need to also get different scope rings for my optics.

2. FirstSergeant

FirstSergeant New Member

Weaver and Picitinny mounts are interchangeable. The slot size and spacing are slightly different. Use Weaver or Picitinny.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

just about any rings work on picatinny rails. its pretty universal. the only issue you may have is a return to zero after removing your device high quality rail and high quality rings will generallly return to zero. mileage varies and its pretty much luck of the draw how well it does. but just mounting them and leaving pretty much any ring works.

4. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Picatinny are close to Weaver, but they are not the same. Same general style, but not the same specifications.

The Picatinny is wider than the Weaver and the claw angle is different. And the depth and width of the cross slots are different, too.

It is best to use Picatinny rings with Picatinny rails, and Weaver rings with Weaver raisl, though you can get away with mixing them up fairly well.

For any type of precision use, mixing the two will not give optimum results, especially is using a quick release style of ring.