Physical combat?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by GunsGodAndCountry, Oct 24, 2013.

1. GunsGodAndCountry

GunsGodAndCountry New Member

Im curious how many of you actually train for a physical altercation? Personally, I have trained in karate and taekwondo and I know that even after 9 years, I wouldn't feel adequately trained, especially with a larger male attacker who would likely take me to the ground quickly where I would be less than useless without my firearm. So for those of you who do train, what do you do? For those if you who choose not to train physically, what is your justification for not doing so?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  2. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

Before I got injured I ran and worked out every day plus I practiced various martial arts. If you want something that will help you against a larger opponent, you should look into shodokan, judo and possibly Krav Maga if you can find a real instructor. If you're worried about getting taken to the ground, MMA is really popular right now and a good place to learn some down and dirty ground fighting techniques, plus the basics of wrestling, bridging and mounting etc.

3. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

I've trained a bit in ju jitsu and Muay Thai a few years ago thinking I was gonna be the next UFC fighter but quit after about a year. I also thought of getting into Krav Maga when I moved out but life and bills got in the way. I would like to get into it at some point as, I'm a smaller guy at 5'9" and 152 pounds (I've gained about 20 pounds this year) and can't always have a firearm with me

4. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

You would fare better than someone with no training. Too many are too quick to surrender and accept fate.

5. JW357

JW357 New Member

The Corps taught me how to fight a man off with an MRE spoon. No, but really. Weapons of opportunity is something anyone can learn. There is no cheating when you're fighting for your life. It's all a matter of aggression, with a modicum of technique, if you ask me. :p

I once killed a bear with my bare hands.

HA. See what I did there?

6. GunsGodAndCountry

So we are juuuust about the same size, Im sure you get where Im coming from.

7. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

The thing I found myself falling back on in my altercations with larger guys in my short stint at the county jail where we had no intermediate weapons allowed (dumb ain't it?) was judo and MMA. Big guys (especially ones with no training) usually wig out when they get tossed or thrown. It's a huge psychological blow to them. A lot of times just a simple leg reap would end everything before it even started. (And no paperwork cuz "he just tripped LT! No worries!")

And I'm 165 and 5'7. So definitely not a gorilla by any means. Everybody's gotta pick on the short guy. I'd always tell them "hey when your flat on your back lookin up at the world, everybody's taller."

8. JW357

JW357 New Member

I agree with that. Even the smallest amount of training in a martial art will probably give a slight edge in most hand-to-hand situations.

9. GunsGodAndCountry

I think that has little to do with the type of training and more to do with being level headed and understanding that to fight is to play a game of chess.

10. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

BJJ since 2000, some MMA under Marcus Davis, Krav Maga off and on, wrestled in HS, some other stuff as time permits...
    I avoid physical altercations, and situations that lead to them. I won't run from defending myself if needed, but I'd rather avoid it to begin with.
    Normally I carry a palm sized Fenix PD35 flashlight, 850 lumens. I'd just shine that in someones eyes and beat them with it if I had to...and use that to fall back to the pistol..and use that to fall back to the Colt AR-15....and then use that to fall back to the FN-FAL.

11. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

Oh completely. That's why I try and workout as much as I can, 1) to get ready for boot camp and 2) so I can do whatever I can to help myself if I find myself in a situation like that strength wise.

And JW, my dad always did say, the guy who fights fair, looses ;)

12. GunsGodAndCountry

I think I could definitely land some solid knee and elbow strikes, but Im curious about a man's perspective. If Im attacked, its not likely that they just wanna eff something up, with you all it may be a different story.

13. JW357

JW357 New Member

Absolutely. I think the only proper mindset going into a fight is to think you are inherently at a disadvantage, and therefore you need to do literally everything possible to survive. If you think you have the edge, you might slack off. I believe it would be a natural tendency. Once you slack off, and you allow yourself to go on the defensive, I believe it would be over.

Total aggression in an overwhelming, explosively short amount of time.

Get them out of the fight before they can gain any sort of advantage.

14. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I put in for years on a Navy Destroyer. We'd fight constantly, because we

were bored $#!+less. Eye gouging, crotch kicking, arm twisting, ambush

butt-kicking. Black Belt my @$$. We used to feel sorry for the Marines, in a

bar fight.

15. JonM

JonM Moderator

my experience with one on one fight it out is no one really wins to continue. thats only in movies. if your fighting to survive your going to get hurt no two ways about it. fighting with rules in mma karate tai kwon do krav maga etc is not the same thing. you dont have someone biting and clawing grabbing and squeezing your junk and other nasty stuff. biting spitting clawing is super common in a true struggle for life or death.

the benefit of training in martial arts is experience with getting hit, it doesnt mean your going to steven segal anyone. that crap doesnt happen in real life unless your damn lucky with a first strike. what it does is condition you to taking blows and being able to stay in the fight. its very handy if the other person has little experience with down and dirty. mma is probably the most directly relatable to a struggle like that

16. JW357

JW357 New Member

I'm curious when you were in the Navy? Maybe most Marines today haven't accepted a true "combat" mindset, but I feel like that wasn't true prior to the beginning of the 2000's.

MCMAP nowadays is more geared towards fighting in a full combat load. That is completely different than a bar fight. However, using weapons of opportunity has been instilled in me, despite me being a MCMAP Marine. If I were in a bar fight, and it were a legitimate "fight for your life" situation, you better watch out.

17. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi, Jack. :)

Most of the Navy guys I have known had many pounds over any other branch member. Not sayin' it was muscle. Just more weight.

18. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

You should take a womans self defense class by a good BJJ instructor. Lots of nasty tricks, good escapes and defensive positions for a female. It's all ground centered anyway.
    Some goat ****er tried to rape my friend in Dubai (she's dark skinned, latin looking), she's a big BJJ chick, she broke his arm and choked him out, he bit up the inside of her thigh while she was breaking his arm, and she has a bunch of scars from it still. Poor guy thought he was raping some migrant worker, uh oh...Dubai aint too fond of people raping American girls in their country. I feel so sorry for him. :rolleyes:

The point is, it can work. Is it always going to work?... probably not, but you do what you can, and that means doing something before hand...

19. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

I agree. The "pretty" martial arts as I like to call them, help you to develop good striking and blocking techniques, and if you're lucky may give you the opportunity to end the fight with a twisted joint or broken bone. But the Chuck Norris stuff is for the movies.

MMA during and Judo at the beginning if there were an opening were definitely a big plus. I think in all the fights I've been in I have landed a grand total of ***1*** spectacular Chuck Norris moment.

I was lucky enough to land a solid kick in the guys solar plexus about half a second in. And that was the end of the fight.

20. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Spent some time on a destroyer or frigate, have you?