Photos of Texas Drought

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by JTJ, Sep 16, 2011.

1. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

2. CourtJester

CourtJester Well-Known Member

WOW!!!!

That's crazy.

3. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

4. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

I knew it was bad but not that bad! We got lucky and it rained for about 20-30 minutes yesterday (first significant rain in more than 3 months) . Fires were breaking out everywhere (luckily they were put out before they could do any significant damage) The ground around here was getting so dry, one corner of our house was cracking pretty bad. Hopefullt the rain will help.

5. WDbeej

WDbeej New Member

i understand that it is bad. but, looking on the bright side, would it not be a bad idea/opportunity to clean the stuff up that has been dumped into those lakes?

6. Vincine

Vincine New Member

I’m sorry for your agony.

This year we had flooding that washed away our roads & buildings.
    I wish we could send you our spring rain, snow melt, and Irene’s downpour.

7. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

That looks very familiar. We had a big green blob on the radar screen headed our way yesterday. We were very excited. Then it fell apart and disappeared.

8. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

You would think so. I cannot understand why the authorities have not started dredging out the dry lake beds, while they are dry. Take it down a few feet and it will hold more water. The silt they would dredge out would be rich soil and could be marketed to cover the cost of the dredging. This material has washed in over the last 30-50 years, take it back out!

I wonder about the intelligence of bureacracies like the LCRA (Lower Colorado River Authority) in Texas. They have an opportunity to improve the lakes and are dragging their feet.

9. JTJ

Clean up costs money and the budget is probably at the breaking point with the fires they are fighting. This is a case where some volunteers could do a lot of good helping to clean up those lakes.

10. ViNoM

ViNoM New Member

Here's something that you probably didn't think about, there are thereatened and endangered fishes in some of those waters. (please don't make this about the source, but keeping with the drought issue. ;) ) We are facing similar fates out in western OK too. We are considering taking similar measures for T & E fish in OK.

Texas Drought: Fish To Be Rescued From River

11. ViNoM

ViNoM New Member

This is an good idea to do where it would be possible. So there you go, put some people to work...contact your local representatives and let them know you have a plan to put some good people to work! They actually do listen if you write to them.;)

This would make a good community project, why don't you contact a local NGO to see if you could help out with this endeavor. :D

12. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The LCRA does not fund the firefighting efforts. They make millions of dollars selling water and electricity. After 20 years of prodding them, they are finally in the beginning stages of making another lake down stream from Austin. Freaking buracracies! If they moved any slower, they would be in reverse.

13. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Still looks greener and wetter than AZ.... :(

14. ViNoM

ViNoM New Member

testify brother! I can for sure, I have been on the side of trying to get funding for projects and let me tell you it is no easy task to get funding on the ground for opportunistic projects. :cool:

15. tqu9047

tqu9047 New Member

We finally got a pretty good rain storm last night. Will it refill the resevoirs, no, but it's a start. Hopefully more will follow.
    I know my lawn and gardens enjoyed it. Today is my day to water so we are skipping today.
    We picked the wrong year to tear up the front yard and put in new grass:( Also picked the wrong year to plant our first vegatable garden.

Tim

16. JTJ

Here is a picture of my wife on the dry Arizona desert.

Attached Files:

• 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      81.7 KB
      Views:
  17. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

We have been seeing these low reservoir levels here in California for years. Out here it doesn't rain from May through September, nary a drop. I just looked at my rain gauge and it shows .02 inches since July 1. I think .02 inches is one Texas raindrop!:D I have found a lot of good fishing gear, etc. in those lakebeds. Not fun though and I don't envy y'all.

18. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR New Member

Looks like Texas is getting a little rain today....A little ....

19. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

We got a little bit of a teaser yesterday, probably not enough to measure.

It was one of those days where it looked all day like it was going to rain any minute. It was like the sky was constipated, but only let go of one tiny shart in the afternoon. :(

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  20. ViNoM

ViNoM New Member

it was sure nice to get some rain today. it rained a couple of times.not a whole lot, but one small burst had a little run off