Phoenix Arms, Out of Business?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Cutlass327, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Cutlass327

Cutlass327 New Member

Just went to my favorite LGS and they are saying that they are not making any pistols at this time, that they are actually not in business anymore... Has anyone else heard anything about this? Their website is still up, and not saying anything about not producing anymore.

2. Blueguns

Blueguns New Member

I haven't heard anything about that.

3. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Isn't Phoenix Arms one of the "Ring of Fire" Saturday Night Special companies?

4. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Bought one few months ago, haven't heard anything about it. Yes they're ROF SNS maker.

5. Cutlass327

Cutlass327 New Member

What does that mean, Ring Of Fire? I understand the Saturday Night Special thing...

6. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Area of california where these sns manufacturers all reside

7. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

The ring of fire includes Bryco Arms, Jimenez Arms, Jennings Firearms, Raven Arms, and Phoenix Arms. These companies are all connected in some way. Usually, the owners are related, or were related. They all make Saturday Night Specials, and personally, I wouldn't use them.
    There have been stories of guns blowing up, or going full auto without warning. Not all of them are dangerous like this, but some of them are. The safe ones are ok for plinking, or as a tackle box gun, but are not really reliable enough for a SD guns, unless you have no other choice.

8. mdemotte

mdemotte New Member

Website still operational, phones still work, I bought one 2 weeks ago .... So I ll say they are still operating. They make pretty decent little plinkers for the money. I might suspect your LGS might be trying to upsell you to something with a little more margin! Just a thought!

9. eldarbeast

eldarbeast New Member

This is certainly true. I have had a S&W Model 41 go full auto, the sear was worn down that much from being shot at the gunrange.

There we were, shooting 10 round magazines ~ Pop! Pop! Brrrriiiipppp!

The Marines Armory at Quantico replaced the sear with one they manufactured right on the spot. Good folks, those Marines.

eldar

10. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

They should be out if business. But even if they were someone else would buy up their equipment and make the same disposable crap that they do. Or they would relaunch their crap under another name.

Don't worry if they go out if business. Someone else will make a pistol that won't last in their place.

11. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

funny thing is, that's exactly what they have been doing for over 35 years now. most of the first companies, the owners were either related or related by marriage. a few now are owned and operated by former employees of the original companies.

much better choices for pistols than these out there. they always make good trotline weights if nothing else!

12. Cutlass327

Cutlass327 New Member

May have to check another store then. I know the pistol she shot is over 5 years old, has had many rounds thru it, and so far only has had one minor issue which they fixed with no issues. They even replaced the melted grips from when my friend used the original Gun Scrubber on it that wasn't polymer safe yet.

Besides, she is only going to use it as a plinker for when I go to the range, she got her CCW but refuses to carry, only got it to make it easier for me to be legal when she is in the vehicle with me.

13. InDefenseofLiberty

InDefenseofLiberty New Member

Worst firearm ever owned was a Phoenix arms 22lr pistol. From day one factory new it would not cycle a full mag. Changed ammo, sent back to factory. They send it back with some white lithium grease all over it and say it worked for them. Still wouldn't run a full mag through. Threw it in the safe and sold it to a poor friend of mine for cheap who wanted a pistol to carry when hiking.
    Biggest pile of crap i ever shot. 2nd biggest was a Jennings 22lr which i still own unfortunately.

14. KimberFan

KimberFan New Member

I got one of these (new) awhile back in a gun range event raffle and I've used it for the exact reason TEXASWOODWORKER stated..."a tackle box" shooter. The first thing I did was tear it down...laugh at how it was made...then I took to polishing the load ramp and slides with some emery cloth and dremel buffing wheel, oiled it up and I ran five full mags thru it with not a single hitch. It stays in the tackle box. I figure for a free popper, it'll never replace my Kimbers or others but, a rattlesnake pops up now and then while fishing and if nothing else, I'll throw it at him if it misfires. ;)

15. qwiksdraw

qwiksdraw New Member

Really? Comparing a pocket-sized mouse gun to a Kimber?

You do know that HP22 has a better warranty than Kimber?

16. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

What is whacked about the ring of fire guns is if someone made them out of acceptable materials and rebranded they would bring a nice price. They all are striker fired good shooting guns. That is the difference between a hi point and a jennings. The hi point was designed to be made of pot metal. The jennings was designed to be made of alunimun/stainless steel and quality steel machined parts.

17. armed1212

armed1212 New Member

Ive had one for a few yrs, I coupe fte, but I can say it wasnt the ammo (blazer value pack) but my 10yr daught loves it ...

ForumRunner_20130120_160134.jpg

ForumRunner_20130120_160200.jpg
    Jus got some range time in yesterday with her. just u jus keep it clean and well oiled it will run pretty good

18. DpSyChO

DpSyChO New Member

I have a HP22 that my wife got back for me back in the mid-late 90's as a Valentines day present when we were dating. For what it is, I've been happy with it and still have it (both the HP22 and the wife). Greatest thing I done to it was to polish the feed ramp and experiment with ammo till I found what worked in it without any problems. I have a GSG 22lr 1911 and my wife has a Sig Mosquito, the HP22 isnt the quality of either of those but at its price point it isnt meant to be.

19. KimberFan

KimberFan New Member

Yes...and I'll stick with my Kimbers and their one year warranty too. ;)

20. TexasRog

TexasRog New Member

You can think what you want to about the Phoenix HP22, but I have two of them. They are great pistols for what they are. For less than $200 dollars what do you think you will be getting? come on folks, It's a plinker. don't bet your life on it It's not a perfect answer to self defense. I use mine to blow holes in paper and shooting what I catch in my traps. Get over it. I train to hip shoot and as long as it's clean it shoots well. You can get good or bad with any weapon. Some time try a Walther .22. Nice name but a piece of crap. But if you use it for practice, you will learn how to clear a missfire quickly, safely, and continue shooting. That's my story and I'm stickin to it.