Phoenix 22 , good deal or not?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Pjj342, Nov 26, 2010.

1. Pjj342

Pjj342 New Member

I was thinking about getting my wife a pheonix 22 for christmas. Their only like 130 dollars. Any first hand info that would help me out? Ive never fired one and dont know anyone who owns one.

2. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

I will admit that I have no personal experience with this gun. I found this review: Phoenix Arms HP22A .22 LR Pistol Review

It seems to be more of a project right out of the box than I would prefer.
    What is it's intended purpose?

If it's for self defense I think I would look further. If it's just for training & familiarization, then go for it. If you are looking for a super inexpensive handgun there are other choices. I would look at Bersa for small inexpensive carry guns. They seem popular and seem to have a decent reputation. If small and concealable isn't a concern, then look at Hi-Point. Kinda ugly but functional and a they reputedly have very good customer support. I bought my wife a Taurus .38 last year. It was reasonably priced and works well. However, Taurus has a bit of a mixed reputation, so due diligence is necessary.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

my opinion. let your wife pick out a gun she is comfy with. a big mistake people often make when buying guns for women is it to go small thinking she is a girl girls need small guns. the smaller the gun the more unpleasent and difficult they are to shoot. im of the opinion that firearms should never be a surprise gift. the recipient should always be part of the decision process.

if you want her to be more involved in shooting let her pick something that fits her. not much worse than having a gun that sucks to shoot.

my wife surprised me out of all the guns i have she likes shooting the desert eagle 50AE the best. she wont touch any of the others besides her bersa thunder 380.

technically it is illegal for one person to buy a gun for another even as a gift.

4. Alchemist

Alchemist New Member

I bought one NIB. According to prevailing opinion on the net, they're the best of the worst. Mine needed some light filing/sanding on all the internal slide friction surfaces because it was seizing up after about 150 rds... Racking the slide a few hundred times while lubing when you first get it is important. Mine's been performing OK since getting past the above problems. It's an extremely mild shooter. A .22 for self defense isn't wise IMHO... Need .380 or bigger. Besides being too low-power, .22 ammo isn't highly reliable. I don't shoot it much... a cheap hidden last resort house gun for me.

5. canebrake

canebrake New Member

[​IMG]

If you want her to enjoy the shooting hobby, let her tell you what she likes. Trust us on this one.

If you are buying her the Phoenix for personal defense, make sure you up her life insurance. It will ease your conscience for making a terrible mistake.

Never use cost as the sole criterion for the purchase of a firearm, regardless of use!

6. billdeserthills

billdeserthills New Member

It is a very accurate gun, believe it or not. I sell them & a friend loves his. Of course he has removed all the extra safety devices from the gun. I would never carry it for self defense other than putting a CCI Shotshell down the pipe and used for snakes...

7. billdeserthills

Jon, I wish you would not say things like this. A Straw Purchase is very different from a boyfriend or husband purchasing a gun for their significant other. I am a gun dealer & even the ATF will agree with me on this. Also a father or step-father purchasing a gun for his son? Be reasonable.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2010
  8. bgeddes

bgeddes New Member

If you are in the market for a cheap .22lr pistol, look at a S&W 22A. I know quite a few folks with them (including myself) and they are great. Once you figure out what ammo it likes (basically anything that isn't Remington), it shoots great. Quite accurate and far far easier to break down and clean than the Rugers .

9. wb_carpenter

wb_carpenter New Member

I have both the hp22a and the Sw22a and the Sw22a is a better pistol but your wife will most likely not like the heavy/larger sw22a. The hp22a is not a bad gun and is reasonably accurate and reliable with the 3inch barrel. It is also a project if you want to eliminate the extra safeties.

I had a slide crack but phoenix arms sent me a new gun. This is the biggest issue with the hp22a cracked slides seem to happen to any and everyone who has owned one for a few years. I would sell mine but its not really worth anything.

10. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Do you buy her shoes without her being there?

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

maybe i shoulda been more detailed on that.

you can give them as gifts but it is a big risk since your leaving interpretation of bona fide gift up to the district attorney where you are buying. in the middle part of the country its generally not an issue but on the coasts in liberal havens DAs slobber at the chance to put law abiders in jail.

consider what would occur to you if an accident occurs or the recipient uses it to defend themselves and the prosecuter happens to be a liberal asshat, digs into the chain of ownership. its just another piece of info they can twist around to use against you and your loved one so a lawyer can put another notch in the belt.

anytime "intent" comes up it can be twisted however the DA chooses.

the two guns ive bought for my wife ive given her the money and let her fill out the papers for her ar15 and her bersa.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2010
  12. billdeserthills

Big gun show Dec 3-5 I will have 3 wall tables and trust me, Plenty of pretty pink guns for sale. You can bet I will be selling pink guns to Dad for Mom & the Kids.
    The biggest part of The Straw Purchase is a "gray area". As a BS law hater I am happy to explore places where the politically correct seller fears to tread.

13. Badshot320

Badshot320 New Member

Not that ive had alot of women in my life but ones ive had I tried to teach how to shoot a handgun(not forcably) and one of my all time favorites seems to fight everyone Ruger Mk1 .22lr. Its so forgiving and fun to shoot that if they dont like it I dont think they would like anything. Just my 2 cents worth if your trying to attract anyone to gunsports.

On a second note: all the women ive taught to shoot thankfully left on good terms and never tried to test out their new found skills on me

14. Pjj342

Pjj342 New Member

clarification:

A 22 is no self defense gun. You are better off with a baseball bat in some situations. My wife already carries a ruger p95 in her purse.(...i know a little big,but she handles it superbly.) We are only lookin for a plinker and thats why im thinkin cheaply. We are savin money to get her an SR9c, she should have it in a month or two. No phoenix for sd, chipmunks maybe.

15. group17

group17 New Member

Phoenix 22A is great little plinker that eats any 22 bulk ammo and fits in your pocket. My friends and I that have them have never had any cracks and I bought mine used.

Mine has been totally reliable for 2 years.

The mag safety which bothers most people can be removed in 5 min via the left grip panel. No big deal.

Since it comes with a life time warranty if it ever does crack send it back to Phoenix for a free replacement.
    The 3 inch barrel is plenty accurate even more so with the 5 inch.

[​IMG]