Philadelphia burning.

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Ghost1958, Oct 29, 2020.

1. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Well-Known Member

Officers like trained civilians are trained to stop the threat. A close incoming individual with a knife, club ,etc is stopped when they go down , or turn and run.
    What usually happens , is multiple officers , using high cap handguns, all firing at once until the threat goes down or turns and runs as trained , equals more rounds fired than actually needed.

Alot of subjects are shot several times as they are falling just due to the rate of fire from multiple weapons.

That's not the same as firing 30 or 40 rds blindly as also happens.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
  2. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

General public has no clue as to the effects of gunshot wounds. They've only seen and perhaps will never see anything other than actors or video games portraying a human being shot. Every incident is dependent on many variables. TV/Movie/Game presentations are the result of professional visual artists/engineers' expertise. Body cams and CCTV are not, nor are I-phone videos. Those who hunt know that each kill is different and critters don't all die right away unless certain organs are short-circuited. Photographic evidence is valuable but unless there are multiple cameras in use at the same time, only one account of the incident can be captured and often the whole "Story" isn't. Media crops & chops what it wants the public to see, setting the tone for the public's response. Same clip shown again and again 24/7 world-wide with different "spins" depending on the media outlet and which talking head expert is available.

3. G66enigma

G66enigma Well-Known Member Supporter

The alternative would be, then: fire once, then check to see what the effect was (if any); possibly fire again, then check again. With someone wielding a knife who's 10ft distant and coming quickly?

Um, that has no practical utility and might well get a person knifed to death.

There's very good reason the "21 foot" adage came out of the study years ago.

Now, had the suspect been 40ft distant and continuing to refuse commands to halt ... that's something else entirely. No need, at that point, to fire upon the guy. No need for 15+ rounds. Just keep backing up, keep issuing lawful commands, keep ensuring nearby folks aren't in any danger.

But, at 10ft and closing ...

Choices get really simple at such times.

Can't be going "for the knee" and expecting to survive it. Can't be hoping go to hands-on with a knife-wielding perp and expecting to remain uncut. Can't be stopping a charging knifer who's already at 10ft with just a round or two and hope beyond hope you've struck the CNS for an instantaneous stop. Doesn't work that way.

locutus and Ghost1958 like this.
  4. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

I look at it this way, the guy's mental illness is now cured. We don't have to worry about him being a threat to himself or anyone else from now on. End of story!

Oldoutlaw, locutus and Pasquanel like this.
  5. Notrighty

Notrighty Well-Known Member

All good points I just thought no less than 14 rounds was a lot. The more shots on center mass the more chance you hit vitals. The more you hit vitals the less chance of survival. I probably wouldn’t question it at all if there was only one cop present.

6. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Survival isn't the issue, stopping the threat is. Yes, it does sound like a lot of rounds fired. If they didn't hit his spine, shutting off his CNS to his legs, he is still physically capable of running right at them. Add meth or whatever in the mix he might not feel anything. (No, I'm not accusing him of being on something, just using it as a talking point).

7. gambler

gambler Member

I absolutely agree with you on these and it should be identified as such and dealt with as such. I think any form of looting, arson, malicious destruction of property should be identified as domestic terrorism and any one trying to stop this should be a lawful action. Including the shooting of those involved.

I also think that any form of demonstration at people's homes or in residential neighborhoods should also be labelled as terrorism and anyone involved should be arrested and convicted of a lessor offense of some sort of domestic terrorism with a sentence of 10 years. Same with anyone guilty of destroying public property, monuments or statues.

Sooner or later we are going to have to get much tougher on this if we ever hope to put a stop to it. I would guess after a couple of domestic terrorists caught breaking windows and looting private property and stores are shot, that should slow this crap down quite a bit !

locutus likes this.
  8. manta

manta Well-Known Member Supporter

The officer in this video tried his best not to shoot, and when he had to shoot not finishing it nearly cost him his life. I don't think there should be a shoot every time or do not shoot, each incident has to be looked at individually. I do think if people had confidence that there were fair and impartial investigations after such incidents, there would be less trouble and mistrust. Not police investigating police.

Bodycam video shows first-person view of Georgia ... - YouTube

9. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Well-Known Member

Loosen SD laws across the nation.
    Allow lethal force to protect ones property, across the nation.
    Allow lethal force in the case of criminal tresspass.
    Allow a lethal force response to ANY physical attack.
    Put the burden of proof on the state to prove a shooting wasnt defense of self or property instead of the defender to prove it was.

Do that and this mess goes away in a month. And a much more polite society replaces it.

G66enigma, boatme98 and woodlander like this.
  10. Notrighty

Manta the police in your video showed too much restraint. Allowing the perp to get the cop on the ground was a mistake. That isn’t the same as Philadelphia shooting at all.

Ghost1958 and G66enigma like this.
  11. manta

manta Well-Known Member Supporter

I never said it was, its just a example of what can happen. As i said each incident has to looked at and judged indivually.

12. G66enigma

Yup.

It's on the individual states to do, however. A very difficult task, in many states.

But if the citizens can see their way clear of the fear-mongering of the elitists and rationally consider the choice, it might be possible. Even if it were, in all the states that don't already have stiff SYG and "Castle" statutes, it'd likely take years.

We can only hope.

May all the gods help those stuck behind "enemy lines" (in those heavy-handed "nanny" states that criminalize self-defense and effectively deny people the ability to be presumed innocent until proven guilty).

My prediction: It won't change until the citizens have a mental "enema" (awakening). Perhaps the rise of the fascist (forcible) groups ANTIFA and BLM will help them see reality for what it is.

The mindless, knee-jerk rioting in Philly has shown that. Though I suspect few have actually appreciated that's what they were seeing.

Ghost1958 likes this.
  13. Notrighty

We all see what is going on but some people don’t get it. This is once again a point whether you want your rights or not.

G66enigma and Ghost1958 like this.
  14. Les Moore

Les Moore Well-Known Member

My only question is what are they going to burn, now, when the Eagles and Sixers win/lose?

15. Notrighty

If they burn something every time a Philly sports team loses there won’t be nothing left to burn.

Rifling82 likes this.
  16. G66enigma

Always wondered what Bob's Bar, Sally's Bakery, and the local XYZ Credit Union had to do with thumbing "the man" or "the system," and why torching and looting their shops could assuage anyone's anger.

What a bunch of folks, "good boys and girls" all, no doubt, who think sending their own neighbors into penury achieves anything. I'll bet their parents are proud.

Of course, looting the local stores of televisions, iPhones and spendy clothing isn't about "thumbing" anybody. It's about gettin' while the gettin's good, same as always.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
    Rifling82 and Ped2000 like this.
  17. BK3220

BK3220 Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I wonder if those idiots in Minneapolis realize the MN national guard they will face will be made up of troops from the land of "Mostly rocks and cows" who will be missing opening weekend of deer season.

Ped2000 likes this.
  18. schnuffleupagus

schnuffleupagus Well-Known Member

I heard it was just a peaceful protest, no big deal.

19. schnuffleupagus

schnuffleupagus Well-Known Member

Yea, but they 'thought' he had been shot by a cop.

The basis of my warning, " Don't believe everything you think"