Philadelphia burning.

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Ghost1958, Oct 29, 2020.

1. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Well-Known Member

As most know I'm not a locked step back the blue wrong or right.

That said the officers involved in the Philidelphia shooting did exactly what they had to do.

You dont use tazers against a charging suspect armed with a lethal weapon. Period. That is a good way for an officer to die.

2. G66enigma

G66enigma Well-Known Member Supporter

Attempted murderer halted in his tracks, in the act of the attempt.

But because he was a "brother" then the neighborhoods need to be burned down and looted in retaliation. (Screw the fact he was caught in the act and wouldn't stop until stopped cold.)

Makes sense. To a certain sort of mindless criminal/thug type of person.

Gotta love what some people have become, these days. I'll bet their parents are proud.

What was it the 1970s PSA used to say: "A mind is a terrible thing to waste."

You said it ... brother.

Caveman Jim, Rifling82 and Ghost1958 like this.

3. G66enigma

For the nay-sayers who scream at police whenever a violent death-threatening criminal is halted ...

If you, yourself, were faced with someone coming at you who's manifestly intending your murder, and you had but moments to live, would you do nothing?

Gets straightforward, when it gets "real."

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
  4. Notrighty

Notrighty Well-Known Member

He could have been shot by any legal or illegal gun owner for his actions. The fact that he was shot by the police and not an illegal gun owner somehow justifies rioting and looting. Truly a screwed up situation we’re experiencing.

Caveman Jim, locutus and Ghost1958 like this.
  5. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The dude is (was) the father of 9 children. Where the hell is Darwin when you need him.

Most of the people--let's say 97%--who get shot by police had it coming.

Caveman Jim, locutus, TimKS and 2 others like this.
  6. BK3220

BK3220 Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Darwin has had a very heavy work load lately. Just a little too slow getting to that one.

Rifling82 likes this.
  7. G66enigma

Bummer, for the guy and his family. I feel for the ones left who might be grieving over the loss.

But, hey, if you don't want the result of people saying "Uh, no" ... well then, don't go attempting to unjustifiably threaten or kill people.

"Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an uplifted knife."

- Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr., Associate Justice of SCOTUS, from Brown v. United States, 256 U.S. 335, 343.​

8. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

If you read the whole story, there is reason to question whether they needed to kill the guy. There was a day when a cop would go after a kitchen knife with a baton and beat the snot out of the crazy guy if that is what it took to subdue him. It is as if their philosophy is that cop lives matter over all other lives, and that any risk is too much. It is a big change in policing from when I was young.

I don't support burning and looting, but I understand why it is happening. The test is to reverse the situation. It would be an unthinkable tragedy if there was a perception of black cops killing white citizens at a disproportionate rate. It is all about perception.

9. manta

manta Well-Known Member Supporter

The only way that will happen, is with proper police training and accountability. That is easy enough done in countries where there is one police force, more difficult in America where there are numerous different forces states with different training and accountability standards IMO.

10. Notrighty

Having seen the video it looks like the police could have tried a little harder to not kill the guy. Sometimes ending the threat turns into excessive force pretty quickly. As for the the looting if we continue to accept it we will continue to see it. If whites were being shot by black cops on a regular basis I would not have the right to smash a window and steal a TV.

Les Moore and manta like this.
  11. G66enigma

Sometimes a rush upon others with a knife can go from indication to incision in a second. Particularly if the apparent suspect is ~10ft distant and begins moving toward the intended(s).

The proverbial "21ft 'rule'" is a warning for good reason. It's pitifully simple for a relatively fit person to close 21ft of distance in better than a couple seconds. Much faster, at half that distance.

That situation reminds me of the other recent knife-wielding suspect who was rapidly pursuing an officer. (Can't recall the town nor can I find the news/video reports of it, but it was a handful of months ago, at most.) The lone officer was running out into the street, curling around to keep distance, and the suspect kept getting closer. At the last, the officer fired upon the pursuer and halted him.

Hard to say how a person could "try harder" to keep from getting sliced from nuts to noggin, if the knife is 10ft away in the hands of a person of apparently somewhat-athletic build, apparently younger/stronger. Commanded to drop the deadly weapon. Commanded to halt. Flatly refused, for whatever reasons. Could become deadly in a heartbeat.

Perhaps that moment was the perfect time for the parent to actually PARENT the person. Clearly he wasn't listening to "the law" at that moment. Perhaps she could have made a dent.

Sometimes, a person gets what he wants, in this life. The whole "out with a blaze of glory" crap.

12. Notrighty

By try harder not to kill him I simply meant 2 officers firing that amount of rounds seemed excessive to me. Others will decide if they were justified in their response.

13. CMAB2SA

CMAB2SA Well-Known Member

I wish this forum had a dislike choice.
    I love this flag.
    . 20200925_104658.jpg

Rifling82 likes this.
  14. Notrighty

I like law enforcement too. Sometimes they do things that don’t make them look good.

Pasquanel likes this.
  15. schnuffleupagus

schnuffleupagus Well-Known Member

Its funny, the lefties cry and whine that the police use the nightstick too much, or tonfa (remember William Shatner whipping out the tonfa and throwing it like a boomerang).

The lefties cry about the less than lethal weapons and pressure away their use, leaving the police only their firearms (and a shocker).

Then the lefties whine that police use the only weapons that they have left.

TimKS likes this.
  16. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Well-Known Member

I'm 62. It's been at least 20 yrs since I had a badge on.
    What time period might you be referencing that an armed police officer would, given any choice, willingly go hands on with a person charging him with a knife?
    Ever try to actually use a baton, pr24, asp, etc on someone wielding a knife?? Or go hands on with a knife wielding attacker?

Ever answer an EMS call to pick up a UNARMED crazy person and take him to ER?

Sorry. Alot of police shootings these days are questionable to blatantly unnessacary. And I think its plain I'm not a back the blue because I once wore a badge person like some.
    The use of force in this instance is clearly justified.

Perception gets real clear real fast when a crazy person with a knife is bearing down you.

I feel for the crazy guy. I realize in his right mind he likely would never do what he did. Fact remains he did attack officers with a knife . They responded the same way most any armed person would.

17. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Chain, law enforcement took a major turn I believe in 1994. That was when Joe Biden wrote a stop crime at any price law that disproportionately targeted minorities. He also fought desegregating schools.

Oldoutlaw, Rifling82 and locutus like this.
  18. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I was always taught that when attacked with an edged weapon, shoot for center of mass and continue firing until the threat is neutralized.
    (And if you've ever been, even superficially, cut by a perp, as I have, you will agree with that training.)

The idea of using a baton against a knife is total, utter bull-schidt!

Mt first time through the academy was in 1965!

19. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

Can you really blame them? They are being shot sitting in their vehicles! when someone brandishes a deadly weapon and keeps coming forward when ordered to stop! Oh well it sucks to be you!

Caveman Jim likes this.
  20. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

When you start holding the perpetrators to the same standard as the police your argument may make sense!

Caveman Jim likes this.