Pets to Vets - A canebrake worthy endeavor!

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by canebrake, Jul 25, 2011.

1. canebrake

canebrake New Member

There are 18 veterans in the United States that commit suicide everyday and one (1) shelter animal is put down every eight seconds.......

You read that right.....and I said WTH????

How can we let this happen in this country?

I have way too much respect and love of my brother veterans, and defenseless animals.

I had no idea this was such a grave issue. We would NEVER let 18 soldiers die on the battlefield a day with out a single word spoken in protest!

This MUST be fixed and I'm all for making this an FTF project with the goal being to raise the attention of this disgrace that is happening all around us!

This is what one U.S. Air Force Security Forces veteran, David Sharpe started when he was saved from eating himself up from within (PTSD) by a Pitbull named Cheyenne. (The Pitbull saved David, not eat him!)

Read more here: P2V

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Thanks for posting this Cane.

3. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

A very worthy program. They get my support.

4. Ploofy

Ploofy New Member

5. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

I saw this on the evening news tonight and thought this would be a worthy donation effort and cause to support in the future on the forum as well. :cool:

Cool Beans! :D

[​IMG]

6. Gordo323

Gordo323 New Member

A great man, with a great dog, is truly a force of one!
    Very sad to see them thrown under the bus, as so often happens!

7. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I like the idea, but being homeless and jobless is bad enough without the addition of a pet.

8. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

I think the homeless mention was the pets themselves, before matched and adopted by the veteran. From what I have seen and read, the dogs go to returning wounded and handicapped veterans, including TBI and PTSD veterans, who may be living at times, alone and dealing with their inflictions and the intervention of the dogs helps immensely. I don't think the vets were homeless, though, no doubt some may be jobless.

Pets, they unconditionally, do a body good. :cool:

9. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

In the Pensacola News Journal today, there is an article about the large number of homeless vets.
    I like the pet idea, but there should be more that can be done for the vets, also.

10. Phrenzy

Phrenzy New Member

Hopefully its not an either / or problem...

The way people talk about their "rescue" dog like that's something special on American tv makes me wonder how common shelter adoption is in the states? Is it really not that common?

Unless someone wants something special from a breeder the standard way to get dogs and cats here in oz are either through a shelter or from a private often accidental litter that would otherwise end up at that shelter, pet shops don't do a great trade in dogs here...