Pet Snake(s)?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by BigByrd47119, Apr 3, 2013.

1. BigByrd47119

BigByrd47119 New Member

Hey yall,

Anyone here have pet snakes? My family has owned several but we had to get rid of them when we moved. Now that we are back in our own place, we are looking at carpet pythons!

Whatcha got???

2. sdiver35

sdiver35 New Member

Me and snakes are like Gello with bears.

3. BigByrd47119

BigByrd47119 New Member

Ah, haha!

Well, snakes DO eat slightly less!

4. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I had an 8' boa, 3' ball and a 15' Burmese. My neighbor had a 20'+ Burmese.
    My snakes as well as my other various reptiles went to a zoo. My neighbors died.

5. BigByrd47119

BigByrd47119 New Member

Gee I was hoping for a happy ending :p

I dont suppose your neighbor was that crazy guy in Ohio that has lions and stuff was he?

Burms are a bit big for my taste. I like to keep it under 10' and 8' or less is even better.

6. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

No he was strictly a reptile guy. We used to take them in from animal control and local vets. We'd nurse them back to health and find them new homes.
    There is nothing quite like putting silver cream on a sick and pissed off 20' snake. Dealing with any lizard over 3' can be very entertaining too. Lol

7. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

When we were kids, my brothers and I would catch and keep black snakes and garter snakes, that is until a 5' black snake went missing in the house, never to be seen again. After that our mother wouldn't let us keep 'em anymore.

I know it's supposed to be cool, but I see no sense or value in importing and keeping non-native species .IMO

8. davva360

davva360 New Member

I had a garter snake when I was a teenager. It was actually a really cool pet and was very friendly. I would open the top of his tank and put my hand up to it and he would slither up my arm and hang out around my shoulders for hours. Amazingly he won my mom over who was initially very squeamish about snakes.

I am not a fan of keeping snakes that are either venomous or constrictors that get big. I think they should be left to professional zoos or left in the wild where they are indigenous. Too many people are not prepared to keep them as they mature and they let them out into the wild. Its a big problem in certain areas of Florida.

9. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Snakes make for good target practice!:D

10. BigByrd47119

BigByrd47119 New Member

Many states actually have done the import thing to themselves by not allowing the keeping of snakes either native to their state (captive bred even) or native to the country.

Im not a fan of venom, although they do tend to be the most gorgeous of the species. Most species of snakes are constrictors, even the friendly little corn snake! I cannot speak for those with truly large snakes as I never have nor do I ever intend to own one, knowing my own limits. Up north however the snakes your refering to never make it through the winter in the wild.

11. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Very cool. When my ball was a baby I used to bring it everywhere (in the summer). It would wrap around my wrist and just stay there. I had a woman comment on how cool my bracelet was once, until it moved. Lmfao

12. jp_over

jp_over New Member

I received some good information about snakes in Marine Corps boot camp (prior to our Camp Pendleton field training).

Drill Instructor: "How many of you $%%$ like snakes?
    Response: About a dozen recruits raised their hands.
    Drill Instructor: "Well they don't $%%$ like you! You leave them the $%%$ alone!"

This advice has served me well. :D

13. BigByrd47119

BigByrd47119 New Member

Oh man, I'd have never made it through basic!

14. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

:D:D:D God cursed the serpent. When you kill a snake you're doing God's work!:D:D:D

15. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

My brother and I used to catch garter snakes down by the creek. My Mother would never let us bring them in the house. We'd keep them for a day or two then let them go.

It is illegal almost everywhere to keep a venomous snake.

Years ago I had a couple corn snakes.

16. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Genesis-3..................

17. AR10

AR10 New Member

Snakes do make good pets, and millions of people have them. We once had an 8' boa. She was a pretty nice girl, that used to like watching TV with us. She got cold, trapping herself between a safe and a wall, and by the time we realized he had done this, she was too cold to bring back. We tried a warm bath, but she died.

The thing that I most notice about snakes, is the ability of some people to place forth so much hatred towards a single creature. People will go out of their way to shoot them, burn them, drive cars over them, anything to kill one. Truly shows the ignorance and foolishness some people labor under.

18. davva360

davva360 New Member

That is true. A lot of people will shoot any snake they see. I live in Florida and in the last 6 years I have come across 4 snakes. 3 of them were in my yard.

Two were smaller snakes, one of which was already dead, the other was a little black racer that just slithered away from me. The last one was a pretty big snake, at least 7 or 8 feet, and my dog was trying to play with it. I pulled the dog away and just left the snake to slither off.

People are scared by default of them. In reality a wild snake will do anything it can to get away from you. All you have to do is give it a chance and it will leave.

19. BigByrd47119

BigByrd47119 New Member

Sooo...we are going to condemn one of Gods creatures because of what Satan did? That makes sense...

I do here by solemly affirm that if any of my snakes tries to talk me into eating fruit, I will kill it forthwith :rolleyes:

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
  20. monet61

monet61 New Member

Oh HELL no! I don't kill anything just to kill it, hence my habit of avoiding snakes. I'm sure they make dandy pets, no barking and what not, but not for me.