Firearms Talk banner

961 - 980 of 1142 Posts

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
Yep, that stuff drives me crazy. When I first started on the Pacemaker and had to change all the oil I found 5 different connectors on the 6 units. 2 main engines, gearboxes, and generators.
Had to do this every 100 hours.
There was a cheapo 12v pump that was only uni-directional. You had to pump oil out, disconnect the pump, and turn it around to refill.
Before the second oil change I went to a hydraulic hose outfit and bought all matching quick connects and two way pump.
I knocked about 2 hours off the total time. I could change all the oil, oil filters, and fuel filters in 6 hours.
8 oil filters and 6 fuel filters.

·
Premium Member
3,531 Posts
If indeed aliens landed on present day earth , they would say "no intelligent life here , they've got weapons of mass destruction pointed at each other" and leave" ..!
Somebody would smoke them with the weapons of mass destruction shortly before shutdown.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Another direction for pet peeves.
I am a fan of home improvement shows.
But when they do a demo, so many shows just destroy everything and let it lay in the middle of the floor so they have to walk over it, cabinets, broken glass, drywall, etc.
Anyone who has done construction knows that when you tear it down you need to take it out to the dumpster not walk and trip over it during demo.
More Hollywood stupidity I guess.

·
Premium Member
6,452 Posts
But when they do a demo, so many shows just destroy everything and let it lay in the middle of the floor so they have to walk over it, cabinets, broken glass, drywall, etc.
Anyone who has done construction knows that when you tear it down you need to take it out to the dumpster not walk and trip over it during demo.
I am a fan also.

How about when they hand a 10 pound sledgehammer to a 120 pound woman whose obviously never picked up anything heavier than 5 pounds of sugar for her to knock the first hole in the wall. Or knock the first door off the kitchen cabinets. Or even have her use, for her first time ever, the cut-off saw to cut a 2X4!

ellis

·
Premium Member
3,451 Posts
I am a fan also.

How about when they hand a 10 pound sledgehammer to a 120 pound woman whose obviously never picked up anything heavier than 5 pounds of sugar for her to knock the first hole in the wall. Or knock the first door off the kitchen cabinets. Or even have her use, for her first time ever, the cut-off saw to cut a 2X4!

ellis

In my mind even worse is that 120lb woman with the sledge trashes usable kitchen cabinets that would be very useful storage in the basement or garage if taken out properly! Drives me nuts, old kitchen cabinets with a properly heavy duty countertop make a very serviceable work bench. Repurposed solid core doors make a great workbench top. Heavy duty enough to mount a fair sized vise on it.

I have 2 sets of them, one in the attached garage which doubles as my reloading bench, or will when I get everything set back up, and one in the detached garage/ workshop.

Those shows cost me a lot of money and even more work when I was building my house, and my now ex asked "can we do that?" and of course I said "sure, no problem".

WHAT A WASTE IN HINDSIGHT, 2 years of working on it every night after work and every weekend only to have her decide a tiny apartment behind the local Wal-mart was actually where she wanted to live 10 years later. Lost my half of grandmas farm in that process.

BUT I AM NOT BITTER!!!

·
Premium Member
22,653 Posts
I get annoyed with all of the queer stuff. Especially the two black guys
"swappin' spit."

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
'Wheeler Dealers', anyone? One of the things my dad taught me, when fixing things, unless you needed to see where a leak was coming from, was to clean up EVERYTHING as you go, and never put things back together without having thoroughly cleaned them up first. The amount if crap and crud around pipes and nuts and bolts, let alone components, makes me a. cringe, and b. see red.

Edd China, 'though we loved him well, Horatio', never seemed to clean around the suspension when renewing most every component thereof. WHY????

Ant Whatsit, also now gone, was a mite cleaner, but not by much.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

·
Premium Member
5,238 Posts
A commercial for Dovato, an HIV drug is on right now. The blonde Alfalfa look alike touting the stuff is bragging about being a teacher. Judging from his special friend I think he's the center and the friend is the quarterback.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Especially in winter, the ASPCA commercials.
First of all, anyone who abuses an animal needs severe punishment.
Abusive behavior is criminal no matter if it is directed at a human or animal.
But the commercials show dogs and cats freezing, limping and often covered in mud clearly in a state of distress. How can they just go ahead and film these creatures? With the money they spend to create these commercial I would think thousands of them could be rescued and saved from the torture. I understand the commercial is supposed to tug at your heart strings. Mission accomplished.
But I know that any money these commercials may bring in goes to more commercials and the euthanization factories these animals wind up in.
Just something about it that doesn't sit right with me.
I do not need to see tortured animals in order for me to take care of mine.

·
Banned
5,552 Posts
But the commercials show dogs and cats freezing, limping and often covered in mud clearly in a state of distress. How can they just go ahead and film these creatures? With the money they spend to create these commercial I would think thousands of them could be rescued and saved from the torture. I understand the commercial is supposed to tug at your heart strings. Mission accomplished.
But I know that any money these commercials may bring in goes to more commercials and the euthanization factories these animals wind up in.
Playing devils advocate here.

The line of thinking that a abusive treatment of animals is criminal , the same as with humans, taken to its logical conclusion , means the killing of animals equates to criminal murder the same as with humans .

I despise a person who keeps an animal an will not care for it.
But animals and humans are two totally different things.

·
Administrator
34,278 Posts
I absolutely agree with you. When those (very long) commercials come in, I have to turn the tv off or change the channel for a few minutes. Sometimes those commercials can make me cry. And the images stick in my mind for way to long. I can’t deal with it. I care for my animals very well. I care for strays, too, taking them to the vet when needed. I can’t imagine mistreating anything or anybody who can’t defend themselves.

Reactions: locutus

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
I refer to that woman who voices those PSAs as "quavering voice witch". I have no doubt she practices that voice with a tape recorder and a mirror. she was in a commercial for health insurance a few years back. you would be fine with her sitting next to you and conversing. she is sufficiently not unattractive.

the thing about quavering voice witch PSAs and those Shriner hospital PSAs is the blatant emotional manipulation. I have a world class mommynipulater in my life. watching him play her is like watching world class evil. I can't help transferring that perception to other manipulators.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Playing devils advocate here.
means the killing of animals equates to criminal murder the same as with humans
That is your interpretation.
Extrapolating my comments to that conclusion isn't accurate by any means.
Tying your dog to a tree in freezing weather with no shelter, starving your animal or beating it is cruelty, no doubt about it and should be considered negligent if not criminal.
But killing deer, for instance is necessary for the survival of the species.
The hunting season is limited for exactly that reason.
And then there is food processing. Killing animals for human consumption is also a necessity, albeit there are vegans who would disagree.
And how those animals are treated prior to their death is also carefully monitored to prevent cruel conditions. Cruelty is a willful act serving absolutely no purpose at any level.

961 - 980 of 1142 Posts