Pet peeves!

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Pasquanel, Sep 20, 2018.

1. G66enigma

G66enigma Well-Known Member

Drove a '70 MGB for a time. I know what you mean. A swaying chassis in corners, certainly by comparison to the Carrera, but the shifting was great.

dango, schnuffleupagus and boatme98 like this.
  2. boatme98

boatme98 Well-Known Member

Add wire wheels and you never knew if you'd make around a sharp turn!:D

dango and ellis36 like this.

3. ellis36

ellis36 Well-Known Member Supporter

I owned a MG-TD for a couple of years back in the early '60's. Rear chassis lift in corners was controlled by a strap from the frame under and around the rear axle.

The result was to lift the outside rear wheel off the pavement in sharp turns. "Losing the rear end" was not just a metaphor. :eek:

ellis

dango and boatme98 like this.
  4. microadventure

microadventure Well-Known Member

I read a road test of a Ferrari 308, in which the author said it shifted almost as well as an MGB. I wish I had his range of automotive experience.

the MGB transmission was also used in the British Leyland Sherpa:

[​IMG]

I had a sharp steep turn on the route to the airport back when I flew. I had Riken tires, imitations of Michelin tread; different rubber. I could take that turn at 42, tires squealing like the cast of The View at the sight of a gun. I upgraded to Michelin. One day I got distracted and entered the turn at 48. It howled like cheetah with its tail in a wringer, but it held

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
    alsaqr, dango, Mercator and 2 others like this.
  5. donthav1

donthav1 Well-Known Member

Back when i was in elementary school, a kid a few years older than me cut off 2 of his fingertips trying to unclog a push mower, he spun the blade just right & it fired off. Lucky for him, docs were able to reattach them.

In high school, i mowed an old guys yard for him using his death-machine pushmower. It didn't have a kill switch, it was designed so in order to shut it off you had to push a metal strap against the exposed spark plug lead with your foot, & hold it there until the plug grounded out & the engine stopped spinning.

What genius thought that was a better design than just a simple on/off switch?

dango, boatme98 and winds-of-change like this.
  6. Cinderocka1989

Cinderocka1989 Well-Known Member Supporter

The clutch switch for starting it?

Easy, find the switch, disconnect it and stick a paper clip in the connector. Our drivers do it with their seat belt lights all the time. It makes me mad because I have to fix it, but I don't have to fix yours.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
    dango likes this.
  7. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Commercials on TV where you can drastically reduce the amount you owe the IRS. Also commercials that offer to help you greatly reduce your credit card debt.
    Are Balota and I stupid for paying all our taxes and debts????

8. schnuffleupagus

schnuffleupagus Well-Known Member

We all are

dango and OLD Ron like this.
  9. G66enigma

Another ridiculous thing: your "credit score" is probably 600 because of it.

The infuriating thing being that anyone has any such authority to dictate one's financial worthiness by virtue of how solidly into debt they get with the banking industry. Everyone relies upon it, as though it's indicative.

Ah well. We're a long way to vouching for Cousin Jim Bob and that being good enough. I almost remember those days. Before fax machines, almost before airline flights were commonplace. Back when people actually went into their local bank offices and knew everybody there.

dango, winds-of-change and OLD Ron like this.
  10. OLD Ron

OLD Ron Well-Known Member

You are a bigger risk if you don't owe money than if you owe a bunch !:confused:

dango likes this.
  11. G66enigma

Yeah. If fewer nuggets to mine from a person (from a bank's perspective) = unworthy. And everyone equates that to trustworthiness.

What a world, eh?

dango and OLD Ron like this.
  12. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Balota and I are debt free. Our credit score is >800. We have one credit card which we never use. It’s kept in a drawer, not even in our wallets. It’s for emergencies only. This is a far cry from where I was 15 years ago. Credit score was 411 at one point.

13. Mercator

Mercator Well-Known Member

Gun display hogs. Just standing there waiting for background check, or chatting, or because you gotta be somewhere, right. Don’t park yourself covering the case. You come in, you look, you step aside. I honestly do.

14. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

That's everywhere. People standing in the middle of aisles, doorways, etc., completely oblivious to other people's need to get stuff done. They are so unaware that there is even another person close to them. Get off your dam phone, cut back on the meds or pot, and get the hell out of the way.

These definitely are not concealed weapons people, or at least haven't read our situational awareness thread.

dango, OLD Ron, ellis36 and 3 others like this.
  15. microadventure

microadventure Well-Known Member

the three worst double dumbclucks:

• the guy who buys a bunch of scratchers and scratches them at the counter.
    • the clerk who lets them do that.
    • every day I worked for a living: bozo gets a cup of coffee. stands in front of coffee cups. pour in bogus creamer. pour in a packet of sugar. stir three times clockwise and two times counterclockwise. tap stirring stick on cup, twice. sip. smack lips. WTFingF does that do? does it alter the taste of the coffee you already swallowed? pour in two more packets of sugar. stir three times clockwise and two times counterclockwise. tap stirring stick on cup, twice. sip. smack lips... different bozo every day. how many people that stupid, selfish and clueless can there be, at 5 AM in a town of 9000?

16. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

^^^ maybe the people who are lost without Starbucks

dango likes this.
  17. Cinderocka1989

Cinderocka1989 Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm lost without coffee but I drink it black and can, have actually, made it over a camp fire many times.

dango likes this.
  18. PANDEMIC

PANDEMIC Well-Known Member

Man, I see that kind of thing happening when I'm shopping at Walmart so many times. Its super annoying. I have to go around 1 or 2 aisles just to come back to the first one because there's either 2 people or a group who decide to start having an hour discussion right in the middle of an aisle or at the entrance of an isle. And they park themselves strategically in a specific spot like its a truck stop blocking everyone's route. Sometimes I have to go around several isles just to come back to the first one because there's so many people that have nothing else better to do but roadblock every aisle they can find while chit chatting.

primer1, dango and ellis36 like this.
  19. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Sometimes I hate being the guy with all the tools . I will no longer lend any tools out to anybody !
    There are very , very few exceptions to that rule like Carl , he's good for returning things .

Throughout all these years , if I needed a tool , I'd buy it or rent it if that was more practical .
    I do have a heck of a collection of all kinds of tools . Between owning a home and powered gasoline tools , vehicles , you know you need all kinds of things .

No more loaning , I'd rather be there and help the guy to make sure I get everything back !

RKB, PeeJay1313, alsaqr and 3 others like this.
  20. donthav1

donthav1 Well-Known Member

That reminds me, my brother has had my clay pigeon thrower since November.

I'm the same way with my tools: i show up with them to help, & they go with me when i leave.