Pet peeves!

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Pasquanel, Sep 20, 2018.

1. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

TheYankeeMarshal

Pasquanel, dango and SRK97 like this.
  2. Maser

Maser Well-Known Member

Been watching lots of wood and metal working vids as of late. I absolutely HATE when people use their dial calipers to scribe metal! :mad:

3. Double20

Double20 Active Member

Here is a pet peeve of mine. "Safety" features on equipment that make it a pain in the rear to use and is usually not necessary to 98% of all users with a functioning brain. One example is my riding lawn mower. It has 2 features I absolutely hate. First, if I am mowing and see a stick, rock, etc. that I don't want to mow over and I stop and get off to move the obstacle, my mower shuts off when I leave the seat. Then I have to restart the mower to continue. This of course creates additional wear and tear on the starter and the battery effectively shortening the life of those components. I don't need the mower to shut off when I get off of it. But I imagine that somewhere along the way, some idiot tried to mow on an embankment that was too steep for the mower's capability and rolled a mower on top of himself with it still running and got mangled by the still turning blades resulting in this "safety" feature.

The second "safety" feature at least has an override if I remember to engage it. When I start my mower, there are two different positions to leave the key in. The default position will kill the engine if you try and back up. This is super annoying when you are mowing and need to back up a little because you got a little too close to a tree or whatever and the engine turns off when backing up. If you turn the key to the second position, then it will let you mow in reverse without killing the engine. If I am mowing, I want that mower to cut grass as long as I am on it. I definitely don't want the engine to die when I back up. But I imagine on this one that someone probably threw it in reverse and blindly backed up without first looking to see if something or someone was behind them and ran over a child or something and now we all have to have this default position where the engine dies when we back up instead of the default being that it continues to mow when you back up. At least there is an override that I remember to engage each time when the engine starts to die the first time I back up. I never remember to move the key to the correct position when I first get on it. Really annoying.

dango, ellis36 and winds-of-change like this.
  4. boatme98

boatme98 Well-Known Member

Think about this, each year there are about 80,000 lawnmower accidents. 5000 of those are kids.
    800 kids are run over yearly. Lawn mowers are the leading cause of child amputations in the US., some 600 a year.

These are huge numbers, not some occasional random idiot.

A little inconvenience would be tolerable to reduce these numbers I should think.
    Btw, I've owned commercial lawn maintenance businesses and one of the first things I made clear to new hires was NEVER leave any piece of equipment running and if you had to work on it, you'd better disconnect the plug wire! If I caught you not doing either, you were no longer employed.

5. Double20

Double20 Active Member

Yea, I get it. But when I don't have any kids around when I am mowing out in the country with no neighbors and no chance of this happening, it is annoying. And I get what you are saying about never leave a piece of equipment running and I wouldn't do that if I were going to be off of the piece of equipment any length of time. But if I jump off the mower with the brake engaged and blades disengaged to move a rock out of the way and jump right back on, I shouldn't have to restart the mower and add the additional wear and tear on the starter and engine. Like I said, I get it, but it doesn't make it any less annoying.

dango and austin92 like this.
  6. Cinderocka1989

Cinderocka1989 Well-Known Member Supporter

The reverse safety on my car drives me crazy. I've driven more manuals than most people, with reverse in multiple different places and I've never unintentionally put a vehicle in reverse. Now that I'm used to it, it doesn't bother me as much but it still seems unnecessary to me.

dango and winds-of-change like this.
  7. freefall

freefall Well-Known Member

The kill switch when you get off the seat is spectacularly easy to disconnect. Third time I got off it, things happened.

ellis36 and dango like this.
  8. F4U

F4U Well-Known Member Supporter

I mow with a 48 farmall cub with a 5' belly mower, what are these "safety devices" you speak of?

dango, G66enigma, primer1 and 2 others like this.
  9. ellis36

ellis36 Well-Known Member Supporter

I remember those!!!:):)

ellis

dango likes this.
  10. G66enigma

G66enigma Well-Known Member

Gotta love the good old ones.

Farmall Cub w/ belly mower @ FarmallCub.com.

dango and ellis36 like this.
  11. 7.62 Man

7.62 Man Well-Known Member

I keep a cheap dial calipers just for that. No way I would use my good ones like that.

winds-of-change and dango like this.
  12. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

Sounds like a Craftsman? If you kill the mower and set the brake it should keep running. No modern machine is going to let you step off with the blades still spinning.

dango, ellis36 and Rifling82 like this.
  13. F4U

What is the reverse sensor on your car? I have a 2013 VW with a manual trans. Haven't noticed anything different about reverse.

dango likes this.
  14. Cinderocka1989

Cinderocka1989 Well-Known Member Supporter

It's an 03 cavalier and it isn't a sensor it's a mechanical lock out type device, there's a collar on the shifter that has to be pulled up in order to put it in reverse. Still has the detent spring for 5th and reverse, the other safety is additional. I've taken the boot off and I could just cut the tab off and it wouldn't do it anymore but now that I'm used to it, it doesn't bother me enough to mess with it.

There are times when I get done with work and get in my car and try to start it without pushing the clutch pedal in. It never works.

dango, ellis36 and winds-of-change like this.
  15. microadventure

microadventure Well-Known Member

try shifting a VW van. there are four vast overlapping zones that may contain first through fourth gear, and a spring steel shaft and a wobbly coupler in between.

boatme98, dango and ellis36 like this.
  16. boatme98

Ive hsd 2 VW campers. You practically had to adjust your seat to go through the gears. :D
    Luckily I have freakishly long arms.

17. austin92

austin92 Well-Known Member

I don’t mind the reverse safety but if you know how to disable the clutch safety in a 2019 Mustang GT please pm me lol. That’s gotta be hell on the thrust bearings.

18. G66enigma

G66enigma Well-Known Member

Friend had a Porsche Carrera, at one time. Only needed to crack the wrist just a smidge, and that thing would shift. Very smooth, very fast, and hardly any motion needed. You could almost breathe on the shifter and it would shift correctly. Beautiful car. Completely wasted in the U.S., where speed limits on the roads limit playing around where that car loves to drive.

boatme98 and ellis36 like this.
  19. F4U

That makes sense, my VW you just have to push down on the shifter a bit to get it into reverse. My Freightliner just goes into reverse.

20. boatme98

My '69 MGB was like that. Not as smooth as a Porsche but a decent short throw.