Firearms Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to get back into .45acp. Building a HD gun. Will be using a G21 as a base. Looking for loads using 200 grain bullet.
I'll be loading xtps for defense and plated flat nose for range fodder.
Just wanna see what's out there. Subsonic of course, but open to supersonic loads as well. If you're not comfortable posting in open thread, feel free to DM me.
And yes, for all the wag of the finger fellas, i have several manuals. I know how to read them. I also know how to work up loads.
Just asking if folks have favorite loads.
TIA

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
45 is my oldest hand gun friend .
I had problems with the swc rounds so went to heavy cast round nose .
When times were tough I even used 700 x shotgun powder in the loads & it worked just fine . ( for plinking )
Now that I have a wheel gun to shoot 45 acp in I will go back to the 45s to play around with ...... I hate chaseing brass around & don't like to just leave them on the ground .

·
Premium Member
1,225 Posts
I like my .45’s, but never really used many 200 grain bullets. I can say that Hodgdon Universal works well with most all bullets in .45 ACP for moderate loads and clean burn. I have some Speer 200 grain gold dots, but I have yet to try them…might experiment some this winter.

·
Premium Member
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Took some loads to the range. Most accurate were
6.3 grns w231 @ 940fps and
5.3 grns of Titegroup @ 916fps.
All my loads ran ~ 50fps faster than the published loads, out of a .4" shorter barrel. Weird. Must be the altitude, maybe the crimp. Anyway... pretty happy. 2 to 3 inch groups at 10yards. Will work those two loads from here on out.

One load of HS-6 returned and average of 1056fps... pretty hot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts