Personal Quirks & Little Habits

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Dillinger, May 8, 2011.

1. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

So, I am not talking about how you always carry (3) knives, always carry a lightweight piece, always sit with your back to the wall, yada, yada, yada.

I am talking about little tidbits of information that you can share that perhaps some of us don't ever think about, but might want to.

Examples:

I don't ever take the top plastic lid from a 7-11 or any place where I fill my own soda. Why? Because that one was definitely touched by the last person who filled up their cup. I always grab a handful of the lids and pick a random one out of the middle.

I have always done this since I worked in fast food as my first job. :eek:

I never enter any actual address into my GPS, or those under care. I pick an address close by, but never the actual one. If they were to ever be stolen, any favorites or recent addresses will not lead to anywhere I have actually been. Granted I am sure some FBI tech could figure it out in about 7 minutes, but for the average street thief, they won't show up on my doorstep when they know I am at work.

Whenever possible I always back in, or park where I can pull out forward without backing. It has nothing to do with needing to make a quick get away. I learned early on in my career that most accidents under 5 miles per hour happen when backing a vehicle. If you come out of someplace like a store or a movie, things behind the vehicle might have changed, but right in front of you is where you are focused when you get behind the wheel.

So, what you got?

JD

2. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

I grab from the back of the shelf on most things at the grocery store, as old stock is pushed up front.

3. russ

russ New Member

I always put my left sock on first.

4. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

I remove labels from any med bottle once I discard it. Junkies will go through your trash, and if you had the one time Vicodin script when you got that tooth pulled, they will take it as a sign that you might have more.

First job was stockboy at a drugstore, I'd sweep the sidewalk. Somebody stashed a big bag of weed in Dad's old heart med bottle, so the local cop who stood on the corner just laughed when I handed it off to him.

5. 2hot2handle

2hot2handle New Member

Not too many odd quirks for me

I, like you, always back in when possible. I feel I'm better at backing IN then backing OUT. The reasons you stated for why you do it make sense to me, perhaps I have reasoned it out in my subconscious? :p

I know I have others, I just can't think of them at the moment... fear not I'll be back with them

6. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I always eat cnady in twos and chew them with one on each side of my mouth.

7. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

That's a good point. We shred everything that leaves the house that is paperwork related. I intentionally shred all sorts of just random junk mail to make it harder to read or piece together. That includes the labels off medical bottles. Soak them in dishwater and they come off after a day.

I also will occassionally pour acidic based juice on the shredded paper if there are a lot of financial documents or something, just to help the ink run and make it harder to piece together.

8. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I always sample-read the first communal gun rag on the news stand.

If it piques my interest, I replace it and take an unfondled one further back in the rack.

9. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I wash my hands before I take a piss.

10. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

You know that avatar gets you a horrible fate in the story, right?

11. cuate

cuate New Member

Concealed Carry

When I'm on my own place I carry for snakes & etc. generally stuck in the belt on l/h side, butt forward. Due to the possibility of rust caused by sweating I wipe the weapon down with Kroil and then wipe clean. Have had no rust.

When in the vehicle the pistol is either in the console or the glove compart-ment for quick and easy reach. I live in a rural area and the small towns don't have the dangers of zombies & gangstas often.

When in large cities, always carry on the bod, concealed, Jeff Cooper style
    hammer back and on safety. I do observe the few places that don't allow firearms and seldom shop there but if I do, leave it in the locked vehicle.

Seen a gunfight or two, will avoid if possible by avoidance of "bad" areas and where the baddies shop and hang out...But won't run....

12. doctherock

doctherock New Member

I wash my hands before pissing, mainly because my wife dont like the taste of diesel fuel. LOL. Just kidding. But I do wash before because I assure you, a piece of metal shaving on the head in charge hurts like hell.

I always have mentos and juicy fruit gum with me.

13. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

Everytime I get a shipment (Midway, Cabela's, Amazon, whatever) I peal off the address labels and shred them before throwing the box out.

I have to eat one item on a plate before moving on to the next. For example, I have to finish the steak before I even start the sides and then one side at a time.

Don't worry I have more.... Just give me time to think....

14. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

[​IMG]

15. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

I have all the blue M&Ms removed from the peanut M&M bowl. But someone else must do it before I'm prepared to eat them.

16. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

I get a TV, X-Box, ammo shipment, I burn the boxes. Neighbors put that stuff out with the trash, two days in advance, it screams "Look what's in the house."

17. Yunus

Yunus New Member

I intentionally spell my name wrong when signing up for websites or other things that I don't think need my real info. This way when I get spam email or snail mail with the incorrectly spelled name I know who sold my info after they "promised" they wouldn't.

I rarely buy my wife flowers or gifts on Hallmark holidays. I instead make it seem random and buy them "just because" a few weeks before or after and get way more bonus points for being randomly sweet. Also if I happen to forget a hallmark holiday, it's not a big deal she already knows I don't buy into that S***.

Last edited: May 8, 2011
  18. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I do something similar and I use a two default e-mail where any website gets an old, old e-mail that is forwarded through another account and then on to my real account.

That way when I start to see SPAM coming in, I can go back to account one and set up controls there to keep it to a minimum.

Also keeps "old friends" from finding me out of the blue. Any old contacts that are no longer relevant are placed on the do not forward list. :D

Good stuff so far.

JD

19. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I use a yahoo email to sign up for anything on the web. Never give my "real" email out..

20. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I always back into parking places, too. It's from years of driving beater cars and when they won't start, it's easier to see what's wrong with it or jump it if the engine side is readily available.

Like Benning, I also never leave boxes of newly bought items at the curb. I drive them down to a community recycle area and recycle them there.

And like Mesinge, I eat my food one item at a time, too. :D