Personal Protection from a 40 s&w round

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by KennyB, Oct 9, 2012.

1. KennyB

KennyB New Member

Hey guys,

I do a lot of backpacking, camping, and some hunting. My sidearm of choice for protection is the XD 40 Service. I know a shotgun is the answer, and I do have a Mosseburg 500. But sometimes I don't want to hike it in. I am trying to find a round that would be good for protection against wolves and or bears, (up close and personal of course) if I would have to defend myself. My question to you guys would be, if all you had was the 40, what round would you use.

2. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Surprised nobody has chimed in but all i can say is fill it with good hollow points:cool:

3. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

If its up close and personal you had better get in a head shot or the bear is gonna close the gap and open you up. I would recommend a mix of jhp and fmj.

4. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

Your alive?! o_O

5. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Lol. Just been extremely busy and working a ton of hours. Building up and running a gun shop with 2 people isn't easy.

6. Polygon

Polygon New Member

You're only going to piss off a bear with a .40 S&W. You need a different gun. I wouldn't carry anything smaller than a .357 Magnum if you're concerned about running into bears. If I'm hiking I leave my 9mm and strap my M29 to my side.

7. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

He did state-----

8. Garadex

Garadex New Member

probably Buffalo Bore or a really hot handload.

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

do NOT!!! use hollow points if your main concern is bear or wolf or lion!! they will not get through the thick hide and muscle. hollowpoints expand to prevent over penetration and penetration is what is desperately needed in the 40 short and weak.

use the hottest hardcast solid you can get that functions safely in your gun. prime source is buffalo bore

using hollowpoints on a dangerous animal may kill the critter in a month or so from infection but you will be bear/cat/wolf poop long before that occurs

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  10. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Here we go-----:rolleyes:

11. trip286

trip286 New Member

Where the freaking hell have you been? Don't leave us like that!

12. firedawg60

firedawg60 New Member

If .40 is all you have, then it will have to work. But agree, probably heavy ball ammo would be best. I've had some that went through a 3/8" piece of angle iron at about 20 yards. I was pretty impressed with what it did. But, I impress easily.

13. Polygon

Polygon New Member

:eek:

Oh, my bad.

14. smithkowitz

smithkowitz New Member

I suggest doing a lot of reading about handgun hunting of bear to get a reliable answer. Most places I've read recommend nothing less than a 45 LC, 44Mag but the sure thing is more like a 454Casull, 460 or 500Mag. Many places still suggest that shooting is the dangerous choice when dealing with bears, unless you have no other options. Bear Mace supposedly provides the human a better survival rate than shooting does. Reading about how to avoid them, knowing where they are and how to react is very important and you cannot read enough of stories as far as I am concerned. As for the ammo, Hollow Points definitely out, Flex Tip might do a good job if you are packing the 45LC, 44 or 460 Magnum size. When I go backcountry hiking, I sleep with a 44 or 460 next to me in addition to my pistol grip 20 gauge with 3" shells. If I was overnight hiking, I'd be packing the 460 and probably a 45acp too. Around town for the typical two legged creatures, a 40S&W with Flex Tips is my choice.

15. JigSawer40

JigSawer40 New Member

I'd get a 30.30 saddle or a trapper rifle. Short enough to lug around but packs a punch when needed.

16. slog

slog New Member

I have a friend that lives in Alaska. He swears by the .44 magnum for bear protection. I'm not so sure myself. I've never come across a bear or shot any large animals. However, he claims that many people there carry a 44mag revolver for such purposes.

17. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

What part of the country are you in? If you are in grizzly country, I'd say you are definitely under-gunned. If you are in the southwest or out east in black bear country, then you're probably ok.

18. USEBOTHHANDS

USEBOTHHANDS New Member

the biggest thing is to know how the bear "should" react.

black bears are VERY confrontational, BUT by not backin down, makin yourself as BIG as possible, and BEIN LOUD, LOUD, you stand a GREAT chance of walkin away without firin a shot.

brown/kodiak bears, however, aren't as intimidated. for them, either curl up into a fetal position with your fingers interlaced around the back of your neck, or find a VERY climbable tree......AND QUICKLY.

you MIGHT kill either one with the .40, but most likely you are just gonna piss'em off even more.

the only way to really damage either (with time for you to LIVE and WALK AWAY), is to shoot them in the eyeball(s), or in the nose/mouth so the shot goes to the back of the throat. but try shootin a baseball-sized target that has surprised you @ 20 yds (60ft) and is bearin down on you @ a 30mph sprint!!! :eek:

best to get some Pepper Spray.

19. jcooley6960

jcooley6960 New Member

If your comfortable with your 40 then use it people can suggest whatever they want but that's what they are comfortable with.

20. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Ummm... did you read that part about bears?