personal firearms ffl in texas?

Discussion in 'NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion' started by kiabe1, Nov 19, 2013.

1. kiabe1

kiabe1 New Member

Hi i'll be getting my ffl license through my business in texas soon and was trying to figure out if i have to register all the firearms in my personal collection. Thanks for your help.

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

No, since there is no "registration" of ordinary firearms under Federal law. However....

If you are an 01 or 02 FFL, if you have personal firearms that are not for sale, and they are stored with your stock that IS for sale, they need to be tagged- personal firearm, not for sale. As in, in the same rack, or same safe, or within your designated premises.

You should discuss this with the ATF Industry Inspector who will be coming by to talk with you.

If your FFL is an 03 Collector's license, you would list any C&R Firearm you acquire after you are licensed in your "bound book". If you sell a C&R that you owned before being licensed, you list in in your bound book when you sell it, acquired from self.

3. kiabe1

kiabe1 New Member

Cool thx for the info thats really helpful

4. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

As a reminder, if you purchase a firearm for your personal use with your FFL, you need to transfer the firearm to yourself as if you are a customer.

You then cannot sell that same firearm until it has been in your possession for a minimum of one year.

This gets around the idea that you are abusing your FFL to purchase and sell weapons without back ground checks.

5. FFL01user

FFL01user Member

I had asked the IOI who did my initial pre license interview about this and was told there was no requirement. Since then I haven't found anything specific from the ATF about separating personal and business held firearms in the same safe as a requirement. They did strongly suggest that a personal firearms inventory be kept (I do so as any non licensee should as well). Post license inspections by the ATF have yielded no problems whatsoever with personal firearms being in the same safe as business held firearms and not being tagged or labeled as personal firearms.

6. FFL01user

FFL01user Member

OP - This was addressed in the most recent FFL Newsletter (see the top 8 Q's asked by FFL's).

https://www.atf.gov/sites/default/files/assets/pdf-files/0913-ffl-newsletter-volume-2.pdf

Good luck on your venture...

7. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

As stated in that newsletter:
    Please note that if you wish to dispose of the firearm prior to it being held as part of your personal collection for one year, you are required to re-enter the firearm into the A&D record, complete an ATF Form 4473, and conduct a background check on the transferee.

8. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Every gun that comes in and out of your "shop" has to be logged in. If your shop is your kitchen table then every gun in the house has to be logged. It would be wise to get a shed for your shop so you can't have the ATF rolling in your home without a warrant or any warning.