Personal Ammo Stores

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by partdeux, Sep 23, 2020.

1. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member Supporter

We're in the process of moving to our new and much smaller residence. We got a a fairly large storage unit near the new place. Wife and kids loaded a heavy duty storage rack and most of the ammo in the truck while I was working. Tonight I set up the rack and started pulling the ammo cans out of the truck.

Damn, for someone that had this silly idea of limiting myself to 3 calibers...
    22 LR
    32 win spl
    38 spl
    9mm
    10mm
    12g
    16g
    20g

50 cal cans filled to the top with mostly loose ammo gets really heavy

I need to start thinking about replacing plastic cans with good steel cans

I need to get back to shooting again. I determined back in 2012, I would never get caught short on ammo again. 2 full cans of 22LR, and haven't shot the 22 in a couple of years.

I need to find all the shotgun shells. I think they missed most of those, need to figure out where I put them.

I'm only planning to add one more caliber to the mix (300 BO), and looking to reload 3 more calibers... Best laid plans :)

Once we get settled, we'll join a club or two and get back to shooting. Not finding much in terms of competition away from the city :( But, the clubs also don't have silly rules like rate of fire no faster than 1 shot every 3 seconds or magazines limited to 6 rounds.

2. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim Well-Known Member

For the amount of ammo you have I'd look into the 20mm military ammo cans. I have 4 so far and only have 3 calibers that I reload for. I've stored a lot of brass in mine, 5k 9mm (for sale purposes), 4k 40S&W and 3k 223/556. I am going to get busy this winter and will probably fill at least 2, one in 40S&W and the other in .223/5.56.
    Good luck with your quest.

PANDEMIC, W.T. Sherman and OLD Ron like this.

3. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

Even though ammo is pretty resilient the conditions in a storage shed can never be accurately predicted.

I once had a cache in a commercial storage unit.. should be all safe right?
    aircondtioning failed and humidity got so high some of my clothes also stored there rotted and got moldy.

Good thing though... I had all the ammo in milspec cans (with the seal) with a dessicant packet thrown inside.
    No damage of any kind

4. W.T. Sherman

W.T. Sherman Well-Known Member

yep, ammo cans would be the way to go to, and if you put your rifle ammo on stripper clips, you can fit a whole lot more ammo into a smaller can then you couldn't do if they were still in boxes.

not only does it make for a small foot print, having them on clips makes loading ammo fast and easy on the range, where you don't have to take a lot of mags just 3 or 4 maybe 5

that is "how I roll" [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sniper03 likes this.
  5. Oldoutlaw

Oldoutlaw Well-Known Member Supporter

You guys need to get serious about long term storage of ammo. Or, space savings for large quantities of ammo.
    I got tired of so many Fat 50 ammo cans sitting around. So, I started using these a few years back. 120mm Mortar ammo cans. Lid is double latched at the top with seals just like any ammo can. I have these and the 50 Fat's on pallets in the garage. Desiccant in every can. Works great.
    The 120 mm dimensions are - 32" tall x12"wide x5 1/2" deep. Each one holds a bit more than 4 of the 50 Fat cans.
    s-l1000.jpg
    5264107_05_huge_ammo_cans_for_120mm_morta_640.jpg

These are just pics off the net for reference. I think prices are pretty cheap for as much as they hold. Here is what Amazon has today.
    But a search shows lots of suppliers.

My 120mm cans are each one full of 5.56 or 9mm ammo. I use my 50's cans for 9x18 Makarov, 7.62x39, and quite a bit of 5.56 and 9mm for the range. The the rest of my calibers also.

But, I need to order a few more of these 120mm cans.

6. Oldoutlaw

7. oO_Rogue_Oo

oO_Rogue_Oo Well-Known Member

YES they do. I load mine on average to 2K rounds (hangun calibers) and that is about all I can carry "comfortably" ; if you can call that comfortable.

You must either spend more time in the gym than I do OR you don't carry those suckers very far. 50s are heavy enough for me.

Caveman Jim and PeeJay1313 like this.
  8. Oldoutlaw

The bigger cans are for storage only actually. I mean, no you don't just carry them around.

9. oO_Rogue_Oo

Not sure I get why you'd want to store your ammo in something that isn't portable? Especially when a portable solution is so readily available.

10. W.T. Sherman

W.T. Sherman Well-Known Member

really? you don't see why.....it's to store the ammo where it wouldn't be subject to humidity etc....

and although you like to take and carry a ammo can that has 2K rounds of ammo to the range, to shoot maybe 50 or 60 rounds. most of us take only the amount of ammo we intend to shoot at the range and leave the rest behind.

I mean really, what is the point of hauling 2K rounds of ammo to the range? unless you like to strain carrying that. or do you normally shoot 2K rounds of ammo in one range trip?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
    PANDEMIC and Oldoutlaw like this.
  11. oO_Rogue_Oo

First off a 50 can is every bit as secure and dry s a 20 can so no I don't see why you would use a 20 unless it is portable for you. Secondly, yes it is not unheard of for a range day to consume a couple of thousand rounds. Especially if it is a group kind of day. I rarely go to the range with less than a half dozen guns; usually twice that. So even if I'm only going to shoot 50 rounds per gun it is usually several hundred rounds. I don't do it any more (getting old) but for years I averaged over a thousand rounds a week just in 45 ACP. These days probably about half that (combined calibers). Our monthly meet N greets around here we probably go through 50K rounds; especially when the full auto guys bring their toys. Thats for 8 - 12 guys on average. Half the guys I know have a range in their back yard LOL (wish I did, it's my dream)

12. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim Well-Known Member

They stay where they are, I’m not gonna throw my back out picking them up, I just slide them from under the bench.;)

13. Oldoutlaw

I pack those BIG 120mm cans with all the ammo I can stuff into them. Apply dielectric grease on the seals, add a desiccant plate and close the can. Four or five years down the road, I may have to open one or two. Easily could be ten years before I crack one open. Good cheap ammo in my favorite calibers. Figure I need it protected for the years to come.

I found an unused one in the garage this morning. Gotta get at it and put a few cases of 5.56 into it. But it looks like I need to order 4 more of these babies.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    PANDEMIC, Rifling82 and W.T. Sherman like this.
  14. PANDEMIC

PANDEMIC Well-Known Member

I have 6 ammo boxes. 3 plastic and 3 metal. And there all getting really heavy especially the metal ones since I been stockpiling over the past few months, I bought more ammo then I normally need. And Its killing my back playing with them and moving them constantly or taking one to the range that has hundreds of rounds in it. And I end up only shooting 20 - 50 rounds. So last month, I found an old rack that we used to use for oil and auto stuff in the garage. Cleaned it up nicely and now use it to hold all my ammo boxes, gun cleaning kit and accessory box all organized and neat. :)

And now I just keep 1 ammo box of just the general amount of ammo I normally shoot. This includes mags as well and ear plugs. And I have it ready to go whenever I have a chance to go shooting. That way I just grab the guns, the ammo box, possibly 2 extra muffs if I'm shooting with friends. And sometimes I'll grab the skeet thrower and a box of skeets if we're gonna do some skeet shooting. I also bought a tannerite container from my local academy yesterday and so I'll bring that when I go shooting hopefully here soon.

15. partdeux

I've thought about vacuum sealing ammo.

I found 12g plastic container were really good at holding (17?) stripper clips with 9 rounds each. I don't recall how many fit into the 50cal plastic "can".

16. oO_Rogue_Oo

I've thought about vacuum sealing; desiccant bags etc but just don't see the need. A sealed ammo can full of lose ammo with EASILY last 50 or 60 years and still be fine. That means the ammo I have loaded will still be viable when my grand children are old. I think that is probably sufficient.

PANDEMIC likes this.
  17. PANDEMIC

PANDEMIC Well-Known Member

I agree, I keep all my ammo in their original cardboard boxes they came in when I bought them. And put them like that in the ammo boxes, and then I organize and stack them neatly. All my ammo boxes have rubber seals in them and I keep 2 desiccant bags (aka silica gel bags) in each ammo box and everything else gun related. I have stored my guns and ammo like this in both extreme cold and hot conditions and never had a problem. I can even take my guns out or pop open an ammo box as many times as I'd like while at home when I'm tinkering around with them and still never had a problem with humidity, rust or things like that.

Oldoutlaw, PeeJay1313 and oO_Rogue_Oo like this.
  18. Viking

Viking Well-Known Member

I've read about tests being done on plastic and GI ammo cans where they dropped them into a pond and the plastic cans failed regularly and the metal GI cans held up good. The biggest thing that I have found over the years concerning ammo storage, primers and powder as well, is to keep them stored in a dry, cool area that doesn't make huge temperature and moisture swings, where I store my stuff stays at an average of 65 degrees.

Rifling82 likes this.
  19. partdeux

How many of the male members here, their wives have no idea how many firearms they have?

Emptying the safe out today, honey, where did this gun come from... I asked that a few times.

Her brother did want two of their dad's firearms back, including his hunting rifle. I hated seeing that one leave our possession. NICE Win 94 in 32 win spl

PeeJay1313, G66enigma and Rifling82 like this.