Person from my past trying to contact me

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by steadyshot, May 11, 2013.

1. steadyshot

steadyshot New Member

OK, this morning in the office at work there is a voice message for me on the recorder. It is from a guy a know and was somewhat friends with more than a decade ago. In fact, it has been 12 years since I have heard from this guy. I stopped hanging around with this guy and his crowd a long time ago because of his questionable character and troublesome ways. Well anyway the message at work said "Hi XXXX this is XXXX, I haven't heard from you in a while, give me a call". He leaves his number and contact information. Now one of the reasons this guy hasn't heard from me or anyone else in a while is because he has been in prison for the last 5 years for stabbing a guy in a bar fight.

I want NOTHING to do with this guy.

Any suggestions on how to go about keeping this guy away from my family and me?

2. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Honestly, you will probably be best served by making contact and explaining your feelings. Tap dancing around the issue will only make it take longer.
    The fact that he sought you out after 12 years, might also mean that he has had some sort of life change. Longshot? Probably. Either way, you will be better off getting things out in the open.

3. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

Don't call him at all. No matter if he tries to call you again.

4. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

If you happen to answer his call, tell him it has been a long time and you have moved on. If he persists, put your big balls on and tell him to lose your number. How did he get your work number anyway?

5. Steel_Talon

Steel_Talon New Member

Good Advice

6. steadyshot

steadyshot New Member

I've worked at the same place for the last 18 years. My office number is published in the phone book. Thankfully he doesn't have my current cell or home phone number.

7. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

This is what I would do. Any interaction, even if it's negative, might encourage him. I would not call back at all and hope he hunts someone else down to bother.

8. steadyshot

steadyshot New Member

This is what I plan to do at the present time. Hope It works....

9. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Good advice. Leave the bad from the past in the past.

10. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Good move not wanting to see the guy at all. Many times police go with the assumption of guilty by association. Felons are constantly being targeted by police. They will handcuff everybody until they figure things out. Not a good experience. My biological father was in law enforcement, and I learned a lot from him, to include firearms. I hope he gets the idea. Good luck my friend!!!!

11. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Let him guess why you aren't returning a call. He may not really even care. If you respond you'll encourage him though. The less said the better. You'll have nothing positive to say so say nothing.

12. racer_x

racer_x New Member

My .02
    Been there its not the first time ive told a friend to jump in the creek.
    Deal with your old friend just tell him straight, he might be a friend from now on an a good one. Dont let what he did define the rest of his life,
    Did he pay for his crime? He did his time

13. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

Plenty of people have paid for their mistakes. Too often we as humans tend to forget the good and only remember the bad, and we are living with that daily in the news.
    If my friend called me and asked me for advice on the same situation I would say to reach out and make him aware of your concerns and see why he's reaching out. If anything at least you have him the courtesy of allowing him to explain himself. You'd want that for yourself if you were in his buster browns.

14. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

Ignore this first call.
    If you do get another call then you may need to deal with him.

Another thought is tell him that you would love to meet him in Las Vegas. Give him some weird meeting place and time.... then go back to work.

15. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Great advice. Maybe you guys could take in a movie?
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwdvVfy9fo4[/ame]

16. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

Ignore the call, he wants something. Even if he doesn't, ignore the call.

17. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

Dude it's been 12 years, you have your life to live and he has his, keep move in on.

18. racer_x

racer_x New Member

Mayb we just might
    You wana hide dont return his call let him guess

19. shadamai

shadamai New Member

I personally would not call him back, either.

20. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Another vote for no contact.

Hopefully he'll have better things to do

than pester you constantly. With any luck,

he'll move on, and forget about you.