persimmons

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by freefall, Nov 14, 2010.

1. freefall

freefall New Member

Somebody gave us a persimmon. I assume you're supposed to eat them, but how? Just peel and eat it, cook it, never seen one before.

2. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

You have already had your first frost? If that is not completely ripe be ready for your lips to pucker.

3. freefall

freefall New Member

I live in Alaska. We've had snow for 2 weeks.:p We don't have persimmons tho. Do you cook them? Or just eat them raw?

4. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Eeeewwwwwwwwwww........those things are nasty no matter what you do to them, but the deer love em!

5. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

You haven't had a frost yet? We've had frost for the past couple weeks.

6. Shihan

I'm on the coast. Been lovely here.

7. spittinfire

It's been great here too. 60-65 during the day but at night it's been getting cool. Had a few nights just above freezing but tonight the low is to be 40 so tomorrow morning's hunt should be warm.

8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Back to the original post- they are talking about WILD persimmons- when unripe (first frost) they are incredibly astringent- like sucking on a styptic pencil. About size of a golfball. Yours is probably a cultivated, non-astringent. You can use them in cookies or cakes, but they can be eaten like any fruit. Try this for a salad:

Persimmon and Apple Salad
    Makes 6 servings
    Each serving equals 1/2 cup of fruit or vegetables

Ingredients

1 Tbsp walnut pieces, toasted
    2 Tbsp orange juice
    1 Tbsp sherry vinegar
    1 Tbsp olive oil
    3 sweet variety apples, rinsed, cored, and thinly sliced lengthwise
    3 firm-ripe Fuyu persimmons, rinsed, stemmed, and thinly sliced lengthwise

In a bowl, combine orange juice, vinegar, and olive oil. Add apples, persimmons, and toasted walnuts and mix to coat.

Nutritional analysis per serving: Calories 90, Protein 0g, Fat 3g, Calories From Fat 29%, Cholesterol 0mg, Carbohydrates 16g, Fiber 3g, Sodium 15mg.

9. Shihan

I am convinced that there is nothing that c3 does not know. The man is a vast information bank of knowledge.

10. spittinfire

Or maybe he's so full of BS that any answer he gives makes sense on some level. :rolleyes:

11. Shihan

Either way, works for me. :D

12. buckhuntr

buckhuntr Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I love persimmons, wild or cultivated. I must be part deer... :p
    A cultivated persimmon doesn't have to be peeled, and some varieties are seedless, which means there's absolutely no waste.

13. freefall

freefall New Member

Thanks C3. The Lovely Mrs says we're having it tomorrow night.

14. M14sRock

M14sRock Active Member

I have not had one since I was a kid, but did not care for them. I think we had them in fresh pie?

But frost? It is 9pm and I have the A/C kicking. I'd love some frost.

15. Cory2

Cory2 New Member

I'm starting to get my suspicions that c3 is a master of google.

16. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I think I remember C3 eluding to being an older gentleman, correct? With age comes knowledge.

17. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

While I will admit to Google to pull up the salad recipe, I grew up with the wild, HIGHLY astringent variety. Until they are REALLY ripe, they are so bitter they will suck all the moisture out of your mouth- so the "wait until they have been thru a frost" country logic was born. They used to use persimmon wood to make the shafts for golf clubs. Having grown up around the wild, golf ball sized version, I was stunned one day to walk into a grocery, and see this persimmon on steroids- about the size of a softball. And did some research.

And after civilization collapses, you whippersnappers should remember- I know how to make persimmon BEER! :p

Over the years I have developed the ability to bull**** my way thru a 3 hr firewall, but try to reserve that for posts where we are fooling around, jokes, or the OP is a total blithering idiot. But not where someone is asking (in a very nice way, too) for some actual information.

Of course, down South, where it is warm enough in the early Spring, we mainly plant cotton candy for the kids. Hard to grow up North without a greenhouse, and takes a long season.....:p

18. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Do you grow the pink or the blue variety of cotton candy?

19. suprdave

suprdave New Member

I love persimmons, and garden fresh cotton candy!

20. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member