Permission Denied

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by BelRockRebel, Jan 11, 2012.

1. BelRockRebel

BelRockRebel New Member

Sometimes when I go to a thread it comes up "permission denied" wondering if everyone gets that? Seems to happen on political themed threads

Sent by BelRockRebel on the DROID RAZR using FirearmsTalk

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Thas bekause yer a gurl :p

Sorry- off my meds again. :)

Some time ago, we had a spate of folks that came by, joined as basic members, and proceeded to post on nothing BUT political side of the forum. They were not well mannered folks. Matter of fact, if you disagreed with them in any manner at all, I would have to class them as flaming screaming loonies.

After we finished spraying Lysol around the forum, Admin decided there would be a waiting period for new members over on political threads. Seems to have worked well so far, reduced the screaming and tantrums quite a bit (Oh, sometimes we DO throw a hissy fit, but it is someone that has been around a while, and does not consider it a mortal threat if the other members tell them they are being a jerk.

Drop a note to Admin (notkdu). You have been a well spoken, well mannered member here.

3. BelRockRebel

BelRockRebel New Member

4. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

Those thread titles do peak my intersests too,I was under the impression that you had to be a supporting member to see them. I do plan to become one once work picks up more,this is an awesome site. Do you have to have a certain amount of posts? Or is it a time since you joined type thing?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  5. Magnum27

Magnum27 New Member

That is correct - it is $15 annual to get access to the Politics forum.

6. trip286

trip286 New Member

I was one of those that got into pissing contests with some of those that c3 is talking about.

I don't miss having access to those threads. They were a headache and seemed to be a place for personal attacks and threats to me.

I take c3's word that it's been cleaned up, but I'd still just as soon stay away from it myself.

And I get my political fill in the clubhouse.

7. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I find the conversations there to be quite stimulating. I was on the receiving end of a few veiled threats but nothing I took seriously. Become a paying member, don't be an A$$hole and you will enjoy it. I look forward to seeing you there.

Truth be told, I probably spend too much of my time on that side of this forum. Unfortunately I can't afford to spend more time on the build threads and that sort. Building stuff costs $$$$$!

8. trip286

trip286 New Member

Don't know if it was directed at me or not, and I'm not taking offense if it was, but I want to say I've very rarely gone out of my way to be an ass hole. This situation c3 points out is what I've run into talking politics with almost everyone, in the street, on the forum, on the phone, facebook, it doesn't matter.

People get extremely aggressive when talking politics and religion, but as long as the conversation remains amicable I'm fine. I have been known to totally lose my shtuff, here and elsewhere, usually after someone has attacked me personally because of my views.

9. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Trip,
    I don't think I was directing my comment at you. That is unless you have made threats to me. Even if you did I do not take them seriously. If you were one of the A-holes you would know it via PM's sent by the mods. (So far I have not received one of those warnings myself. Maybe I am under the mod's radar. Shhhhh!:cool:)

10. trip286

trip286 New Member

I don't think I've threatened anyone. I have gotten one of those very kindly worded (not sarcastic, it really was very polite) pm's from a mod.

Anyways, I've taken no offense, I thought your post looked like it was directed to me so I responded, and I hope you took no offense in return.

11. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I am very rarely offended or insulted. And I never make threats. Never. Just not polite and it never serves any good to prepare your adversary.

It was not directed at you personally. You shouldn't be so quick on the trigger my friend!

Now see how nice we all are?

12. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I have to ask you BelRockrebel, is your avatar a self portrait? Nice guns.

13. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

That is why I try to avoid most political subjects. I usually talk about guns laws, illigal immigration, and a little about the economy, but thats about it. You will probably never see me reply to a thread debating religion or something like abortion. Thats just not a good idea. People aren't going to change their religious views because of a forum, and everybody gets emotional and defensive (or should I say offensive) over abortion.

I will say that the politics here (even the ones that go a little out of control) are pretty civil compared to the politics discussed at the woodworking forum I go to occasionally.
    Never discuss politics when there are thousands of hard core conservatives and liberals in the same place. A simple joke causes hundreds of post either supporting the post, or bashing him.
    Everything is debated, many act like their in the 1st grade. (ie. you liked that joke so you are no longer my friend. Yes, this happened a lot). Then you have hundreds of people protesting to get the non shop talk (aka the club house/politics forum) deleted while you have hundreds more protesting to keep it. Finally, everyone that leaves feels the need to announce it and blame it on the non shop talk section.

Pain in the butt. I still go there for the woodworking talk and projects, but I avoid that section like the black death. :eek:

Sorry about the rant, but be thankful this forum is not like that.

Thank you to the mods and notkdu for keeping the flaming screaming loonies to a minimum. :D

14. texaswoodworker

Good thing I wasn't drinking anything.:D

15. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I have to agree. The politics forum is a bit spicy at times but you have to be an adult about it. I bet I have butted heads with you Texaswoodworker over immigration (that is where I get the most heat) but I respect your opinion. I hope you respect mine. Dadgum. Now can we all sit down for some tea together? I'm not singin' Kumbayah or nuthin'. And I'm not going to drink any F'in Kool Aid!

16. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I was just wonderin'!

17. texaswoodworker

We may have, but I don't remember. If we did, it probably wasn't a major argument.:D

Whats wrong with Kool Aid? Its the favorite drink of kids and cults.:rolleyes:

18. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Gents (and ladies)- trust me on this- If your conduct had exceeded the bounds of good taste, good manners, or good sense, you WOULD know it. :p

Spirited discussion and sharing of viewpoints is one thing- being a jerk is another.

marvin-the-martian.jpg

19. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Ya cuz then c3 will be singing hammer time.....ooops to new for him to know the words;) all joking aside he will squash you off here like a bug

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

20. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

Noooo, C3 WROTE the song, and the book.