Perfect Pistols

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by da_fame, Apr 26, 2013.

1. da_fame

da_fame New Member

My dad and I will be getting our FOID's soon and i'm really excited but we dont really know what firearms we will be purchasing. Can you guys help us out and give me a list of some handguns that you think we should purchase? Thanks :)

2. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

3. da_fame

da_fame New Member

thank you, i will definetely check it out

4. txpossum

txpossum New Member

Well . . . what do you like to shoot? If you don't know, spend a few weeks going to a shooting range where you can rent handguns in various makes, models, and calibers. Otherwise you will be wasting your money.

5. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

Keep in mind the use of the firearm, range, home protection, possible concealed carry? That will help determine size or caliber. Would you rather have something like a glock, or a 1911? It would also be nice to know your shooting experience. Have you shot s 9mm, 45-acp, 357? This will just help give us details to help you find the right gun.

6. da_fame

da_fame New Member

well we're looking to purchase a few handguns, so maybe something like a glock, 1911 (kimber), or sig sauer. and my uncle took me to a shooting range when i was in florida and we shot glocks and a taurus pt840. oh and one last thing, we live in illinois so for the next couple months until illinois passes the concealed carry law, we wont be carrying anything

7. towboater

towboater Active Member

Consider what kind of safety you like on your gun. Are you left handed?

8. da_fame

da_fame New Member

no, we're both right handed

9. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

Where are you in Illinois? I might have a few guns to let you try to help you make a decision.

10. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Everyone should own at least one 22LR. Either a pistol or a rifle is fine. But it should be a law if you ask me.

11. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

The law should be at least one pistol and one rifle. ;)

12. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

The over/under till someone posted trying to sell "Glock" was seven -- I took the over like an idiot.

13. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Who tried "selling" them? I saw them mentioned along with 1911s. So, you may still be in the running.

I agree with the early posts, suggesting that you try several if you can. Then pick what fits and that you like best. I do tend to recommend staying with brands with good reputations first. Smith&Wesson, Colt, Springfield, Glock, Berretta, Ruger.

14. thefarmboy21

thefarmboy21 New Member

A revolver is about as reliable as they come. I really like my Taurus 85.

That being said I've looked into about every pistol to be had for a CCW gun and now own a Kahr CM9 (also available in .40) Hou really should check out the whole Kahr lineup. I love mine. Next will probably be a Glock 27 because its small but it will handle up to the 30+ rd magazines AND you can swap barrels (and mags) out and shoot 9mm and .357 sig! All the flocks are like this tho....the bigger you buy (.45 or 10mm) the more choices of barrel swaps you have. After that I'm going to buy a .22 1911 of some sort. My wife has a Ruger LCP that we both love.....not as fun to shoot as some other tho. I had a KelTec PF-9 but I had a lemon, it's at the factory now and headed to a friend upon return. It broke the barrel :/

15. da_fame

da_fame New Member

im in cook county

16. da_fame

da_fame New Member

how much is a glock 27?

17. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

I'm sorry.

18. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

First decide on the proposed use: range CC, home protection. Then decide on a price range. Get out to a range that rents pistols and try out whatever you like looking at that's in your price range. From there whatever feels best In your hands and whatever you are most proficient with....done!
    Brands? It's quite personal IMO, but I have found Glock, Beretta, SIG, S&W, Kahr, SPringfield, HK and Browning are all quite reliable. From there personal preference and price kicks in.

19. da_fame

da_fame New Member

thanks man

20. kiabe1

kiabe1 New Member

Check out the cz75 and its variants, especially for instance the jericho 941. Fun reliable guns