percussion BlackPowder rifle

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by drboompa, Aug 30, 2012.

1. drboompa

drboompa New Member

I recently purchased a used CVA Mountain BP rifle. It appears to have been built from a kit due to some sloppy installing of very small screws. One small screw is on the side-lock and has been peened so that the screw slot is no longer visible. Guess I will have to drill it out?????

As well, the double set triggers appear not to be working. Now, I have never had a rifle with double set triggers so I am not sure if I am doing it correctly. I pull back on the hammer to full cock and the rear trigger does nothing. Pulling the forward trigger shoots the gun.

pictures are below

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
  2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

There should be a difference in pull weight if you just pull the front trigger it should be longer and harder than if you use the set trigger. If not then you have an issue.

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

With a "set" trigger, you can just pull one trigger (hard) -OR- pull the "setting" triiger, which drops the pull of the OTHER trigger to just a pound or two. When not properly adjusted, does not work.

Depending in size of buggered screw, you can drill, and use an Easy Out (coarse threaded left hand screw)

Be careul- buggered screw slots are a sign that Bubba has been there. Look for indications of other problems as well.

4. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Attached Files:

5. drboompa

drboompa New Member

6. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Everything looks fine from what I can see.

7. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

Stealing this....

8. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

No its mine. I stole it fair and square damn you.

9. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

Roshambo you for it, but I go first.

10. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Doc- some of your questions would indicate that your rifle did not come with an owner's manual- right?

Here it is. Print it and read thru it, keep it for reference.

http://www.cva.com/pdf/Side.pdf

11. drboompa

drboompa New Member

Got my cleaning rod today and swabbed the barrel. Clean! I fihnally discovered that te double wet trigger works. The first one is very hard and has a heavy pull but it makes the seond one very light to the touch,

12. drboompa

drboompa New Member

C3Shooter

Thanks for the URL for the manual. That manual says that the percussion nipple should be a #11.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012