People with kids at what age?

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by JD1969, Oct 16, 2011.

1. JD1969

JD1969 New Member

At what age did you start teaching your kids about firearm safety? My wife does not see eye to eye on the whole gun issue, but she has come to accept that they are part of who I am. We have two young kids, a girl age 5 and boy age 3.5. I was raised around guns, hunting, fishing etc. Firearms were just a part of life for us, I got my first shotgun for my 11th birthday. Growing up when and where I did, a gun was not really any different than a fishing rod (except for the safety aspect). Right now all my guns are kept locked up, but I wonder if I should start teaching the kids what they are and that they need to be respected. I fear that if I hide them, don't talk about them, all that will do is create more curiosity and that IMO is a bad thing. I was thinking of maybe teaching my son when he 5 how to shoot a bb gun and move from there to a .22 rifle after a couple years with the bb gun. My daughter is the ultimate girl and has shown no interest, but I will still teach her how to shoot and the basic safety rules. What have you all done.

2. Kabraxis

Kabraxis New Member

My daughter just turned 5 this month, and since i just got a firearm i figure i need to teach her about gun safety. I just bought her one of those BB handguns from walmart to teach her about guns. haven't really taught her anything about it yet. been working so much but hopefully soon.

3. fmj

fmj New Member

Teach 'em young....5-6 is a great age to start. Start slow and EMPHASIZE safety. Make it fun and they will be interested and they WILL learn.

If you lock up the guns and hide it from them, that breeds curiosity and in turn leads to tragedy

Kids are naturally curious critters and WANT to learn, you are their parent and it is your JOB, your DUTY to teach them.

Firearms are an inescapable part of life in America. They can either learn from YOU in a controlled environment, the correct way or they can learn god knows how/where.

4. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

A bb rifle is a great place to start. I like long barrels with kids. If they do something unexpected it is much easier to grab a hold of.

5. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

They can learn and understand at 5-6, that is the age I plan to start teaching my kids about firearm safety.

6. Soliferrum

Soliferrum New Member

hell, dad had me fire the family gun, a mossberg 500 persuader, when i was 3. Scared the hell out of me and never went near it. dad left it all over the house when i was growin up, fully loaded with 00 buck. knowing what it did i never went near it or had the curiosity to play with it. cause i knew what came out the front of it equaled terror and pain.

all other lessons came year by year by the most important gun in my life, the 1911. i knew how to tear that, an AK, and an AR apart before i discovered girls were good.

7. trip286

trip286 New Member

I started with "don't touch" when mine was about 3. In the past 2 years since then (he's 5 now), he's had the opportunity to shoot a few .22s and to learn a little more about safety.

8. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

My granddaughter is 5. I started teaching her about gun safety, the parts of the gun, what she should do if she finds a gun sitting out. I let her hold it after we've checked to be sure it's empty. We discuss the various parts of the gun and how a gun works. I think she is too young to shoot. Heck, my two handguns are too heavy for her right now. But I do keep my guns in a safe next to my bed at all times. I don't want to take any chance her curiosity might injure or kill her. I know many others feel differently and that's okay, too. You do what you are comfortable with.

9. fmj

fmj New Member

Since when!?!? all I discovered was pain and misery associated with them split tail critters. :rolleyes:;):D

10. fmj

fmj New Member

You shoot a Mark II or III dontcha?? I would think she could handle that...altho i personally think a cricket would be a better starting point. But i just think starting with a rifle is best.

Yep, yep to the part in bold....your house, your kid (grandkid) you do what you think best.

11. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I do have a Mark II. It is decked out with rather large wooden grips and a scope, making it kind of heavy. But, of course, I could take off the scope and put the aluminum grips back on for her to shoot. Still, I think she's a little too young. Maybe in a year or two.

12. fmj

fmj New Member

Yep, a little bulky in that case, and i wouldnt be one to change configuration just so a kid could shoot it.....maybe a cricket for christmas.;)

Crickett Firearms - My First Rifle - Youth Model 22 Rifles - Proudly Made In The USA

13. JD1969

JD1969 New Member

I was thinking 5 all along and most of you confirmed that. My son is still 3 and has the attention span of a knat, I will however teach him that he should not touch a gun if he finds one. My daughter might be ready to shoot my .22 rifle in a couple months, she is almost 5 and is very mature for her age, hell she makes her bed every morning without being told, I don't even manage that most days. This is weird for me, like I said in my OP firearms were just a way of life for me growing up. I was taught about them since I can remember. Times have changed I suppose, but growing up in the woods of Maine is light years different than a suburb of Chicago.

14. Shade

Shade New Member

I started mine as soon as they had any interest in them. 2-3 years of age.
    Explaining that these are not toys and can hurt you or someone else.

First you want to eliminate the mystique about firearms. "Daddy will show
    me anytime I want to see them."

Second as they are old enough to understand start explaining safety, at
    5 or 6 BB guns or .22's are a great start. Every child is different.

My oldest is buying his own guns now (no he is not 18 so Dad is still
    "facilitating" purchases, legally I own the guns.)

15. ahole

ahole New Member

Deer season ends in February. My little guy is 4 he will start on me 1926 stevens bolty when the season ends.

16. trip286

trip286 New Member

First shot for my son were with a heritage rough rider. I had to cock the hammer for him, so really, we were jumping the gun a bit (pun intended). They should be able to handle the gun on their own when they shoot, IMHO.

17. Boyerracing343

Boyerracing343 New Member Supporter

Personally, I think it solely depends on when you think you child is ready. My father started me off when i was very young. I got photos some where of me sitting on his lap at age 4 popping soda cans off in the field with a old bolt action Marlin.

I think it is very crucial to start them off young and slowing work them up. My father took his time teaching me how important safety is. He is retired USAF and he has absolutely zero patience when it comes to ignorance to safety. I find myself being the exact same way he is, and I am glad.

18. Jeepergeo

Jeepergeo New Member

Your daughter seems old enough now to start learning. At first, it can be "don't touch guns unless daddy or mommy is there and tells you it's ok first" and "immediately tell daddy or mommy if you find a gun or your friend finds one".

Then, get the kids comfortable shooting. The BB gun is a great place to start. Then work your way up to a youth 22.

Get your kids into an NRA Hunter Safety Class, age 9 or 10 is a good age. My son got a 96% on his Hunter Safety exam when he was maybe ten or eleven years old. His score was the best score in the class of many adults! Normally, this instructor had an age 12 minimum, but he'd agreed to let my son in the class. The instructor was excellent and drove home all the points I had stressed to my son.

Most of all, INCLUDE your daughter. Women are about half of the voters in the U.S., and the more they understand about shooting the more they will support the sport and hunting. Many will never get the shooting bug like many boys do, but girls still should understand firearms safety. My wife and daughter are both good shots, but neither caught the bug. But, they know how to be safe, and that's the key.

19. gunnutdaddy

gunnutdaddy New Member

I have had the same (I don't want to say problem because its not really that negative) disagreement with my wife. My son will turn two this coming February and although I know its too early now, the time is fast approaching that he will be old enough to start enjoying firearms with his dad (which has always been a dream for me since he was born). I was the same way growing up. From the time I can remember, my father, really all the male figures in my life (I.e. grandfather, uncles, older cousins) were very open and willing to teach about firearms. They never "made it a mystery" as early people have said, that I just couldn't help but find out about on my own, alone or otherwise. My dad started taking me squirrel hunting when I was five and deer hunting as soon as I had the patience to sit still long enough LOL. He started letting me go on my own with his Savage .270Win (which he later gave to me as a right of passage for my birthday) when I was eight. I want to do the same thing for my son. This is really the first thing that my wife and I have disagreed on and can't find a middle ground. Don't get me wrong, the argument is not about him being around firearms or not. She was around them as a child too (LOL that's half the reason I get along so well with my father-in-law). The argument is about what age to start introducing him.
    Advice?

20. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

The best method of safety in the world is attention and caution. By her refusing to allow him to be around firearms or have anything to do with them, she is giving them a mystique that isn't a good thing to do.
    Without practical application, all his knowledge of firearms will come from movies and TV shows, which will provide a very negative, and unwanted, image.
    Depending on how your wife takes it you will either make your point or be wasting your breath. Good luck.