pennsylvania gunsmithing school? Any one hear of it?

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by Twpbaseball10, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Twpbaseball10

Twpbaseball10 New Member

I been looking into going to gunsmithing school because of how much I enjoy working with guns and such. But I know that it is not a very good buisness economically. I looked into the pennsylvania gunsmithing school and after doing a lot of reasearch it explains that you can go into more fields such as machinging, woodworking, tool and die shops, welders, and ofcorse firearms companies. I like doing all of this and being able to have my options open is very nice.
    Has anyone know of people who have been to the school. Also does anyone think this would be a good way to go. I been in college for 2 years and I kept trying to make myself think it was right for me. I want to pick up a trade like I originally wanted and this school seems pretty good. I would really like as much help as I can get
    Thanks

2. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

Personally im not familiar with that school but I do know there is a vocational school which offers a gunsmithing class. I cant remember the name right now, im sure it will come to me later. I do know that it has multiple campuses in eastern PA.

3. Twpbaseball10

Twpbaseball10 New Member

ok great. I didnt know that there were a lot of vocational school that offer gunsmithing classes

4. Creekside_Sports

Creekside_Sports New Member

I'm biased since I went to the lassen gunsmithing school but I haven't heard anything bad the on PA.

5. Twpbaseball10

Twpbaseball10 New Member

I havent heard of many gunsmithing school in general. when I did a search this came up a lot so i fugures it would be a good one. It was hard to find many good gumsmithing schools using google

6. Dinger23

Dinger23 New Member

I here that Penn Ed. Is a good school for gunsmithing I have been searching as well and have done some research on this school and it is S&W approved. Good luck

7. Twpbaseball10

Twpbaseball10 New Member

I never thought about seeing what other gun companies thought about it. Im going to look into that as well

8. pfatz

pfatz New Member

Gunsmithing Schools

There are a number of legit Gunsmithing Schools around. The oldest in Denver, CO and the school I attended, Trinidad State Jr. College, Gunsmithing Dept.. I received a real AA when I completed the course. It is a 2 year course including the Academic part. I took most of the Academics locally before moving to Trinidad, CO to take the course. It is very highly rated. After graduation I was able to operate my own shop sucessfully until I retired.
    Check out Brownells, The worlds largest Gunsmith Supply. World's Largest Supplier of Gun Parts, Gunsmith Tools & Shooting Accessories - Brownells They have a complete list of Gunsmith Schools in the back of their catalog. Call or go online to them. They will help you find a real Gunsmith school, usually at an accredited school. I know of schools in Oklahoma, Colorado, Arizona, NC or SC, Penn., Minnesota, at least. These are established, hands on schools with fine reputations which will help if looking for work or opening a shop.Here comes a list of some major ones;

Aspiring gunsmiths should earn a gunsmithing certificate from a technical, trade or community college. Gunsmithing certificate programs typically offer a four-semester curriculum with hands-on training in metal milling, operating machines, optics calibration, firearm cleaning and gun repair. Most gunsmith professionals are self-employed, however, job opportunities are also available through gun manufacturers, recreation stores and rifle clubs.

Colorado School of Trades
    In operation since 1947, the Colorado School of Trades gunsmithing program is an 1,800-hour curriculum that can be completed in about 14 months. Approximately 1,500 hours of the program are lab-based, while the remaining 300 hours consist of classroom instruction. The program is organized into four main learning areas: basic courses, machine shop courses, stockmaking courses, and design and function courses. Students take classes like shop math, drill press operation, welding, engine lathe, ballistic handloading, stockmaking, trigger assemblies and business training. The Colorado School of Trades offers career placement assistance services for gunsmithing program graduates.

1575 Hoyt Street

Lakewood, CO 80215

800-234-4594

schooloftrades.com

Lassen Community College
    The gunsmithing program at Lassen Community College began in 1945 as a community services and now offers two degree and four certificate programs. The two-year degree programs are: an associate degree in firearms repair and an associate degree in general gunsmithing. The certificate options include: a certificate in gunsmith machinist and metal finishing, a certificate in long guns, a certificate of in pistolsmith, and a certificate in riflesmith. The certificate course of study varies in length by program areas. According to Universities.com, the gunsmithing programs at the community college include course work in firearm function, design and repair; firearm laws and regulations; and skills like metallurgy, welding, machining and stock fabrication.

Lassen Community College

478-200 Hwy 139

Susanville, CA 96130

530-257-4211

lassencollege.edu

Montgomery Community College
    Montgomery Community College offers three gunsmithing options: a 76-credit associate's degree, a 42-credit diploma or a 12-18-credit certificate. There are four certificate options, including basic gunsmithing, design and repair, technology and refinishing. The gunsmithing curriculum, which is a combination of hands-on and classroom learning, equips students to refurbish firearms, evaluate and repair malfunctions, restore firearms and provide customized firearms services.

1011 Page Street

Troy, NC 27371

800-839-6222

montgomery.edu

Murray State College
    The gunsmithing curriculum at Murray State College is a two-year associate degree program. Students acquire skills and knowledge for gun repair and custom gunsmithing skills. The curriculum involves 76 hours of classroom and lab courses, such as firearms design, metal work, stockmaking, gun bluing, firearm repair, conversion of firearms, business math and gun store management.

Murray State College

One Murray Campus

Tishomingo, OK 73460

580-371-2371

mscok.edu

Pennsylvania Gunsmith School
    The Pennsylvania Gunsmith School offers a concentrated master gunsmithing program that students may complete in about 16 months. The program is based on hands-on learning in a shop setting. Students learn skills like metallurgy, filing and gauging techniques, hack sawing, firearm terminology, bluing techniques, trigger work, stock design, welding, barrel fitting, ballistics, custom alterations and gunsmith business operations.

812 Ohio River Blvd.

Pittsburgh, PA 15202

412-766-1812

pagunsmith.edu

Pine Technical Institute
    Gunsmithing students at Pine Technical Institute have the option of a 26-credit certificate program or a 42-credit diploma program. The certificate program includes courses like metal fusion, handgun theory, accessories installation, ATF regulations, hinge and lever, pump and self loader, and metallurgy and bolt action. The diploma curriculum features more advanced classes, such as tool design and fabrication, bluing, metalsmithing, machining fundamentals, barrel and chambering, shotgun smithing, riflesmithing and stockmaking.

Pine Technical Institute

900 4th Street

Pine City, MN 55063

800-521-7463

pinetech.edu

Yavapai College
    Yavapai College offers a 31-credit gunsmithing certificate program or a 64-credit gunsmithing associate degree. Both programs include coursework in stockmaking, machine shop, rifle theory, metal refinishing, shotguns, handguns, rifle rebarreling and advanced machining. The programs include hands-on training in gun shop environments, as well as traditional classroom instruction. The degree program offers additional classes in small business management and master gunsmithing.

Yavapai College

1100 East Sheldon Street

Prescott, AZ 86301

520-776-2150

gunsmithing.org

Read more: List of Gunsmithing Schools | eHow.com List of Gunsmithing Schools | eHow.com

9. pfatz

pfatz New Member

another List of GS Schools

This is from Brownell's.............................
    1575 Hoyt Street
    Lakewood, CO 80215
    Phone: 303-233-4697 ext. 42
    Email: gary@schooloftrades.com
    Lassen Community College
    478-200 Hwy 139
    Susanville, CA 96130
    Phone: 530-251-8800
    Email: staylor@lassencollege.edu
    Modern Gun School
    80 North Main Street
    P.O. Box 846
    St. Albans, VT 05478
    Phone: 800-493-4114
    Email: janieg@dlilearn.com
    1011 Page Street
    P.O. Box 787
    Troy, NC 27371
    Phone: 910-576-6222 ext. 234
    Email: bernauerw@montgomery.edu
    Murray State College
    One Murray Campus
    Tishomingo, OK 73460
    Phone: 580-371-2371 ext. 235
    Email: darnold@mscok.edu
    812 Ohio River Blvd.
    Avalon, PA 15202
    Phone: 412-766-1812
    Email: bob.thacker@pagunsmith.edu
    Piedmont Community College
    1715 College Drive
    P.O. Box 1197
    Roxboro, NC 27573
    Phone: 336-599-1181 ext.244
    Email: erdnerp@piedmontcc.edu
    Pine Technical Institute
    900 4th St. S.E.
    Pine City, MN 55063
    Phone: 320-629-5157
    Email: Defenbaughd@pinetech.edu
    Sonoran Desert Institute
    10245 East Via Linda, Suite 110
    Scottsdale, AZ 85258
    Phone: 480-314-2102 Ext. 201
    Email: info@sonoranlearning.com
    Trinidad State Jr. College
    600 Prospect
    Trinidad, CO 81082
    Phone: 719-846- 5577
    Email: keith.gipson@trinidadstate.edu
    Yavapai College
    1100 East Sheldon Street
    Prescott, AZ 86301
    Phone: 928-776-2348
    Email: alan_lohr@yc.edu

I personally can learn by reading about it. Many folks need Hands On with an Instructor at hand. No by mail course will give you the hours on a Mill & Lathe or Welding or Stock Making or the many skills that make up a Gunsmiths stock in trade. I can make a Rifle without buying any part except the barrel which I am too lazy to make. I had instructors with years in the trade. One apprenticed at Holland & Holland and worked the trade in Africa. Another had 30 years military including building snipper rifles for the military. Another operated his own shop for years. We started the Hands On work learning to make & temper our own tools from which I learned to make and temper Flat Springs used in older guns and some high end European Guns. Only 1 of the multitude of skills I am glad to have learned at TSJC.

Check out all offers before chosing Gunsmithing education. I am absolutely glad that I chose a real Hands On Gunsmithing School to learn some of the many skills I needed. Ed H

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  10. pfatz

pfatz New Member

Gunsmith Schools

I should make clear, the amount of instruction a student receives in a structured School setting is Credit hours where the above information may state 46 hours for a certificate or 75 hours for an Associates Degree, those are Credit Hours. Clock hours may be 40 hours or so per week of class work spread over a semester of school time to count as a specific Credit(s) as in any advanced educational instituition.

All well worth your time to learn a serious very skilled trade. EdH

11. Twpbaseball10

Twpbaseball10 New Member

thanks that was a ton of helpful information. I am going to keep doing my extensive search

12. jon1992d

jon1992d New Member

I live right up the street from that school in pittsburgh! Its very exspensive about the same as u of pitt a year plus you have to pay for the tools and clothes they give u that r junk so u have to buy ur own plus they dont give u any guns or projects to work on yiu have to bring (buy) your own. You get out of it what you put into it really. Alot of ppl just do the bare min to get by. I have two friends that went there one is now a master sgt armorer with the us arny and the other continued to train in switzerland and germany via recomendation feom the school and is now a master gunsmith at a lical shop north of pittsburgh. Hes been offered jobs by the military and compqnies like remmington bushmaster and h&k but likes to keep it simple and stay local. Do im not bashing the school i myself will go there after the army but its costly and you jave to put ur own effort into or else its a waste of ur time and money!

13. jon1992d

jon1992d New Member

Sorry for the bad spellin also i was hitting the buttons on my cell fast hehe

14. Twpbaseball10

Twpbaseball10 New Member

Well its going to be a lot cheaper than the 4 year school im going to now haha. I really want to go to CST but the only thing still keeping pitt a very close 2nd is the fact that I want to live in PA after I get out of school. I dont like it here in NJ and have been planning on moving there and I figured if I went to school there it would help me find a place to settle in to. And I know what you mean by getting in what you put out of it. Im going to keep looking and hopefully I can come up with a decision soon.

15. rmw

rmw New Member

Did you go when Dunlap was still there

16. SteveK

SteveK New Member

Gunsmithing Schools

Try AGI (AmericanGunsmith.Com). They have a great source of video's and several courses you can take right at home at your own pace. I have several of their Armours courses and they are in depth instructions on how to disassemble/reassemble firearms.They also have how to repair them, plus parts that should never be taken out or fooled with.

17. Twpbaseball10

Twpbaseball10 New Member

Yea I have been looking into thoes videos a lot becuase they do look very good. The only thing is they are expensive and it would be nice to be able to get hands on work first so the work they teach me will be easier. I been planning on maybe getting some videos after school just so I can gather more information.

18. Creekside_Sports

Creekside_Sports New Member

Dunlap had already retired from teaching full time at the school, but he was still teaching DFR for second year students. John Martin and Andy Faircloth were the main instructors.

19. rmw

rmw New Member

I never knew either of them . When I went there Bob taught all the DFR, John Vest taught stock making and engraving, Ron Bacchus was the mach shop teacher and Gary Boyd was there during the day and Lee Foresberg would be there in the afternoons.John Mulchaey ran the welding program. I worked for Bob when I was going to school and for a few years after . Some times I really miss that place but I don't really miss the CA laws in general let alone the gun laws.I was wondering what would become of the school when Bob left since he had been a fixture there for so long

20. btibrandscom

btibrandscom New Member

Glad to see you posted the question. I think this is the best place to get good advice on anything shooting related!

holsters