Penetration

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by FatTire, Mar 23, 2012.

1. FatTire

FatTire New Member

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this... Anyone have data/experience with how big a log it takes to resist small arms fire?

2. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Depends on the wood, caliber, and time of year. (yes, trees change throughout the year. Sap levels raise and fall.)

Why do you want to know? Do you want to use some logs as a backstop?

3. bkt

bkt New Member

If you want to stop bullets, put a gap between the wood. Plenty of ammo can shoot through a 4x4 piece of wood, but take two 2x4's and space them apart a few inches and it becomes a lot more difficult to shoot through both.

4. Vincine

Vincine New Member

Hardwood is a lot different than softwood. The range here uses railroad ties. Real ones, not landscape ties.

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

As said- depends on the wood, green or dry, the ammo, angle of impact and distance from which it is fired.

6. FatTire

FatTire New Member

I want to know because I'm thinking of building a log cabin, and I want to know if 12" diameter pine logs can resist small arms fire (assume less than fifty cal) from handguns and basic rifles...

7. FatTire

FatTire New Member

Assume closest fire comes from 50m out

8. FatTire

FatTire New Member

I guess I could just go built a log wall n fire at it... Appreciate the gap suggestion :)

9. FatTire

FatTire New Member

Perhaps that's the answer I'm looking for, smaller timbers, with a 3" gap filled with concrete.. I like that, at least for the bottom few feet...

10. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

A 12 inch pine log will stop handgun ammo, and most smaller rifle calibers. HOWEVER- please remember that a wall built of ROUND 12 inch timbers is NOT uniformly 12 inches thick. Where a log is stacked on a log, thickness is about ZERO.

11. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 New Member

While shooting at a 4"x6" post at 20 feet, using .45 Federal FMJ 230 grain standard load, the bullet went through the 4" side but not the 6" side.

12. JonM

JonM Moderator

when a piece of wood starts bearing weight it also becomes a little more dense due to compression.

if your gonna build an ohsht house might think about covering it in dirt to make it more like a small hill then plant edible plants on it. you not only get superior armor you also get superb insulation and a source of food.

just an idea

13. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Depending on where you live, try picking a different type of wood (unless you really want pine). Cedar is a good choice. It a lot more rot resistant than pine, and is usually harder too. Where are you going to be building this thing that you have to worry about small arms fire?

14. FatTire

FatTire New Member

Nor cal, and I choose to worry about small arms fire, having a defensible space, a food supply, ammo supply ect...

15. FatTire

FatTire New Member

I think you guys have inspired me though, I'm gonna go with a 4' foundation of wood, rock, and concrete for my cabin.. Muchos gracias!