peep sight on win.94

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by xr650rider, Oct 27, 2012.

1. xr650rider

xr650rider New Member

am going to order a lyman #66 receiver peep sight for a win 94 30-30 and was wondering if anybody uses one of these and had to replace the front site with a taller front bead or was the stock height good alreadt...hate to buy just the peep and later on find out i have to get a taller front bead cause the gun keeps shooting high and i run out of downward adjustment..thanks to all who replys...

dave

2. Gonzilla

Gonzilla Active Member

I did it on my Marlin 30/30 w red insert front. Had to change to a lower front - went w white this time & it helps in low light.

Hope you get it right the first time. :D

3. xr650rider

xr650rider New Member

well the front site is as low as it can go already,,so if anything id have to go taller..just dont know by how much untill i shoot it with the peep on..

4. Gonzilla

Gonzilla Active Member

It was extremely frustrating not being able to get it sighted in the first time ! 30/30 is not a hard kicking round but off the bench it gets old fast...;)

My real lesson learned is to spend the extra $$ on better peep sights. I bought the cheaper - loosen set screws, make adj., then retighten. I wouldn't make that mistake twice.

Then again, you should never say never. :D

Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
  5. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I love the Lyman 66 peep on my Winchester 94 and Marlin1895.

Tried a scope on the 1895, but at .45-70 ranges, I like the peep better.

6. xr650rider

xr650rider New Member

did you have to change the front bead on the win 94 to a different height or anything?? or did the stock bead work for you??

7. WhelanLad

WhelanLad New Member

I installed a Williams peep on a 94, no taller front side needed.

8. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Measure from the center of the bore to the top of the front sight then open the bolt and measure from the center of the bolt/bore to the center of the peep at the lowest setting. If the front measurement is the same as or more than the rear measurement, you dont need a higher sight. You are checking if the sights are parallel to the bore.