PDX1's are a NO GO!

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by afi1, Nov 15, 2011.

1. afi1

afi1 New Member

Posted 15 November 2011 19:22
    PDX1's are a NO GO! For Armadillo at least. We were coming back from searching for a deer my friend shot at earlier in the evening, and spotted an Armadillo in the field. My grandfather has been complaining about them digging holes in his back yard, and I had been planing on sitting on the back porch with a .22 tonight to see if I could bag a few. The headlights of the Mule shown across the field, and I could see a gray ball. My friend and I jumped out and ran up to about 15 yards of him. I had my Glock 23, loaded with 180gr Winchester PDX1, and my friend had a 3 cell Maglite. I got off two rounds, one of which I was sure was a hit. The little bastard took off. I grabbed the light from my friend and chased the Armadillo through the woods and thick brush (about 200 yards total), shooting every time I got a clear shot. I finally moved around and flanked his ***, and put one in him at about 3 yards when he broke the tree line. He was dragging his guts, and the shot rolled him onto his back. He flipped over and kept going! I put two more in him before he finally expired. All said and done, I shot 10 times, and counted 8 holes in him. These guys are tough! If you're planning on dispatching Armadillo, use a different load.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. trip286

trip286 New Member

Wow. Armadillers are mighty tough it seems. Don't handle him too much, they're the only known animals to carry leprosy. Luckily, it's curable now, and the damage reversible. All except the nerve damage.

3. afi1

afi1 New Member

One of the reasons I was so quick to shoot him. I'll leave him to the coyotes.

4. MrWray

MrWray New Member

That was a tough army dillard

5. MrWray

MrWray New Member

I Always use my M4 on them.. Its nighty night instantly. The only running is the 5.56 bullet going through them.. I use 77 grain blackhills ammo

6. gunsavy

gunsavy New Member

I'm sorry bro but chasing helpless animals through the woods just to shoot them is cold. Since you like seeing what bullets do to flesh and wasting food maybe you should go the market and buy somthing already dead. The only reason an animal should be killed is if it poses a threat or for food, not digging holes. Not cool

7. orangello

orangello New Member

OP, glad to see you taking care of your family's pest problem.

Did you miss the part about armadillos not being all that safe to even handle due to disease risk of LEPROSY? That isn't fit to eat in any situation with a safe alternative food, in my opinion. Further, the OP explained that this was not "hunting" but more of a "pest control" situation due to damage to the property, damage that can injure horses and cattle (much like prairie dogs).

A head shot would've been nice, and a quick kill is certainly something to strive for, but is by no means a requirement for a pest species in my opinion. Don't break your leg dismounting that high horse.

8. trip286

trip286 New Member

Property damage is a killing offense. I don't care who you are, if there's a pest animal, especially one that carries diseases then it needs to go.

I like the idea of a head shot, but the OP was chasing it down, and with a pistol too. Overall, I say for a pistol kill, not too shabby, but I'm very surprised at the toughness of such a small animal.

9. orangello

orangello New Member

Yup, probably would've needed a shotgun or maybe a .45 with a rail-light for any realistic hope of a headshot. They are tough; i saw a buddy hit one on an old '80's Honda streetbike (1100cc); the 'dillo ran away as dude tried not to eat pavement.

10. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

PETA Troll ? Just sayin :D
    Good shooting them varmits arent good for anything but problems

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  11. MrWray

MrWray New Member

This is a "NO ARMY DILLARD" zone...if you take care of your yard like i do..i dont like walking outside in the morning and seeing half my once nice green yard all rooted up.. Thats why i started the ARMY DILLARD TASK FORCE.. The patch for the BDUs are pretty cool... :p

12. gunsavy

gunsavy New Member

@purehavoc 1st of all don't start with that troll bs. I just have a difference in opinion which I know it about as popular as being a troll. 2nd I'm not for or against peta. And as far as property damage its called a fence trust me they work.

13. Glockcurmudgeon

Glockcurmudgeon New Member

Okay, I've read all the posts on this thread...

Most important was not handling, or being extremely careful, to handle the carcass with all due precautions and seriousness... Diseases are nothing to screw around with...

However, the .40 S&W cartridge, to my way of thinking, is NOT the "end all, be all" cartridge that the FBI or various LEO agencies propound... To me, the best of the semi-autos devolve to just two calibers... 10mm and my favorite, the .45acp. Anything less than either of these superb cartridges is unsatisfactory...

The 10mm is the hardest hitting of the standard semi-auto cartridges. No, it's not a .44 Remington Magnum being shot out of a Desert Eagle. It is a cartridge designed for a specific family of handguns, those that are using the 10mm cartridge. As such, it has no equal... Oh, there are Auto-Mags out there, but that is not what can be considered "mainstream."

The .45acp has been turning "bad guys" into good fertilizer, since 1911...

Both cartridges are accurate, perform flawlessly, and "take-out the trash" admirably...

When you care enough to deploy or employ the very best, either cartridge will respond expeditiously to whatever threat before it...

Glocks in whatever caliber, for when it's absolutely necessary to terminate your target/tango, no hassle, no fuss, no muss... Like the commercial for Ginsu Knives, "Slice, dice, julienne fry, GINSU!!!"

No prisoners, no hesitation, no remorse... Kill 'em all, and let God sort 'em out...

Glockcurmudgeon, out...

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  14. orangello

orangello New Member

I want some of what you are smoking! A fence to keep out armadillo's, that is laughable. The damn things are dangerous even when dead; i knew a guy whose dog died due to internal injuries from eating some of the dillo shell.

I will admit to sparing one 'dillo; i wasn't about to get that all over my bumper and didn't have pistol with me.

15. trip286

trip286 New Member

As far as I know, the fence that keeps out armadillos hasn't been invented yet. At least not a presentable one, and as is the case with all fences the gate is the weak point, and I know the armadillo proof gate hasn't been invented yet. I used to sell gates. And the damn things will chew right through chicken wire. No, the best thing is to shoot them, put on rubber gloves, bag the animal and the gloves, burn the bag, bleach your hands, and immediately wash your clothes. And if you have pets or kids, bleach the ground where they bled out.

16. afi1

afi1 New Member

$10 worth of anti-social ammo is a metric **** ton cheaper than fencing a 15 acre field/yard, or a 500 acre farm for that matter. You sir, are a jackass. And a headshot would have been nice, but with a Glock in one hand, a POS Maglite in the other, pitch darkness and on the run- it's wishful thinking.

17. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

gunsavy, you must not know much about armardillos, they seem to be able to get through most fencing and most people who have lots of property tend to use barb wire, and they can and do a lot of damage to property and the property damage can break a horses or cows leg sometimes. IMO, afi1 could have used a better choice of weapon to eliminate the pest, but sometimes you use what you have on hand. myself, if i happen upon them, i just give em a quick kick in the tail, and they run off. but that's just my way of dealing with them.

18. unclebear

unclebear New Member

just saw this, why not just use a 12 gauge with some 00 buck... but damn I have never seen anything take 8 rounds of .40 and still keep running.

19. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

maybe they need to make bulletproof vests out of armadillo hide instead of kevlar!:D

20. orangello

orangello New Member

They would never be able to get the stench out. runbarfthroughmynosetokillthesmellohlawdy