pcp or nitro piston air guns

Discussion in 'Other Weapons' started by rem870forever, Jan 5, 2014.

1. rem870forever

rem870forever New Member

I want to buy my first small game air gun in the $300 range. I looked at the benjamin discovery .22 pcp and the benjamin trail xl1100 .22np. Which is better for accuracy up to 50 yards and which is more powerful fpe.

2. rem870forever

rem870forever New Member

could a benjamin trail .22 or 25 kill a coyote

3. Chief-Long-Iron

Chief-Long-Iron New Member

If your going for an air gun I'd go with the Remington summit I have one in .177 and love it, however if your looking for serious umph, they make air guns upto .50 cal that shoots something very similar to a miniball. They can be used for big game hunting. But hose will be more than 300$ likely, Airforce Airguns make very good air rifles also

4. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

The pcp rifles are far superior to the piston rifles and they cost a lot more. Serious air rifle hunters use pcp rifles. There are quite a few videos on Utube. With proper shot placement and a short enough range you probably can take a coyote but keep in mind you only have 50 ft lbs of energy at the best. It would probably require a head shot. I would consider it marginal and would not use it for that purpose. Great for rabbit or squirrel and pest control. You will have to check on legality in your state. I have been looking at the Benjamin Marauder. Attached is a link to the Discovery. Shop the price before you buy and click on the watch the video link.
    http://www.airgundepot.com/benjamin-discovery-22.html

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  5. gr8oldguy

gr8oldguy New Member

PCP is the way to go for serious air gun hunting. The only problem I have is the expense and the additional equipment needed to keep them shooting. I've been shooting a Beeman 22 caliber for years. Spring action, single shot, but a dependable, accurate rifle that will get the job done out to 30 - 40 yards. good luck

6. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I have one also and it is a good gun but I am still looking at the pcp rifles. =/- in everything. PCP is very quiet and no noticeable recoil so you can use any scope. Also no spring lag. The Discovery in 22 might just be a good option at $400 ready to shoot with pump and scope although I am not to thrilled with the scope. The Marauder is quite a bit more money by the time you get it outfitted.

7. Steel_Talon

Steel_Talon New Member

For my use I'm a fan of the Nitro piston. I have a Crosman Venom with a Charlie DaTuna trigger installed. The 177 cal is all I need for backyard target practice, general pigeon, and squirrel eradication services.

8. FullautoUSA

FullautoUSA Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner Lifetime Supporter

I highly recommend the Crosman MTR77. .177, 1000 fps with lead and 1200 with alloy pellets. It has the nitro piston. I got mine on amazon for about $180-ish.