Pawn shops-are they a source of good gun deals?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by mountainskytop, Dec 10, 2012.

1. mountainskytop

mountainskytop New Member

I would like experiences of folks buying guns at pawn shops and getting a good deal on price for decent used firearms.
    I recently been thinking of doing just that.

2. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

Thats a good question, if you were asking about selling a weapon, a pawn broker would never be the place I would suggest doing that but buying is a whole different story.

Buyer beware but yes, some of the best deals can come from those who dont specialize in firearms because often, they havent a clue exactly what they have. Just remember, its not a gun store so the person your buying from just bought or sold a ring, a TV and a painting by a movie star before they tried to sell you the boomy thing in the rack behind them. If you cannot prove the safety and proper function of it, they likely cant either (or dont really care to).

That said, great deals can be had but youve got to know what your buying and exactly what your paying for otherwise it may not be worth the spot scrap prices at the recyclers. If you really arent sure, call a friend who does know the good, bad and the Ugly about Firearms otherwise you might get a surprise you werent hoping for, a good deal on a hand-grenade that looks like a gun.

3. beaglesam

beaglesam Active Member

Pawn shops are all about moving products. They don't want things to sit in the display case. Also realize they will never be insulted with any offer that you make and will always comeback with a counter offer.

4. Colby

Colby New Member

Yes --- the same comments can be made concerning buying any used gun from any source. You have no guaranty of quality.
    But, of course, this is how the rest of the world works. Example - used car dealer. It's not that they are necessarily bad - but there are no guarantees.

5. Hairtrigger

Hairtrigger Member

Two years ago I would have said NO!!
    Every pawn shop I have been in sells used beat up guns at new list price.
    About a year or so ago I stopped at a local pawn and spotted a stainless Ruger Super Blackhawk with Burris 3-12 scope, I asked to see it. Magnaport had cut those awful slots in the barrel but also had slicked up the action.
    I walked out of the store carrying the Ruger in a heavy aluminum case and had given them $365 of my hard earned cash... this gun looks new and was very clean

I now am not afraid to stop at a pawn shop when gun shopping!

6. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

Thats all about that buyer beware thing, if you know exactly what your looking at and can accurately judge its value, you can get awesome deals. Hell, an old rust bucket might be worth a fortune for the stock or bolt alone but unless your truly aware, you could be putting your life or at least your wallet in a bad position.

A Vietnam Vet friend of mine at the diner we have breakfast showed me a picture he had on his cell phone he took 2 days ago but couldnt send cause he doesnt have a data plan. A guy he knew got a brand new single shot bolt 30-06 for his wife, closeout from Cabellas or Gander Mtn for $100, he's lucky to live to tell about it. It had split the barrel like a cartoon of Elmer Fudd, swear to god, this guy doesnt BS. This was for real, the third shot lodged 3/4 the way down the barrel and the guy said he didnt know, the next bullet split the thing in half, I think he said it was an HKA or something like that. Manufacturer has promised to replace it, it splayed 12" left and right of center, the box he shipped it in was enormous! Ive heard of Damascus barrels unwinding or exploding but this looked like a mill had split it down the center and a pipe bender had turned it 90 degrees left and right.

I guess even new dont fix stupid...

7. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The price tag on the guns in pawn shops will drive you out the door. That is a wish list for the moron who pays sticker on new cars. Prices are nbegotiable. Around here there must be a BUNCH of morons as the pawn shops do not wiggle much off the sticker price. They must expect the next customer to be that moron.

8. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

I bought a nice GP100 6 inch blued at a pawn shop.
    But 6 months ago they also tried to sell me a ancient, barely functioing Armalite for 950 dollars:rolleyes:

9. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

Quoted for truth.

10. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Around here pawn shop prices vary-You can't find the "deals" that used to be common- Still good deals now & again but you have to visit them often-The "good" deals go fast-

11. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

Where I live, it is hard to find a "good deal" at a pawn shop. The pawn brokers generally don't know the value of a firearm. What they tend to do is go to Gunbroker, and find, what they think is the same gun, and list if for the asking price.

Their lack of knowledge can sometimes work in your favor, as they will sell a "special" gun for the ordinary price.

The bottom line is, you have to know the value of a gun when dealing with pawnbrokers, or you can be taken. They are not known for their ethics in business.

12. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Pawn shop shopping will vary a lot, location to location. Columbus GA and Fayetteville NC were the mother lode- dozens and dozens of pawn shops- and they all had a FFL.

1. Know what the gun you are looking at it worth.

2. The magic words- when you ask the price, and they answer-
    a. Thank you. (pause) Is that your best price for cash?
    b. Thank you. (pause) Does the price have any wiggle room for cash?

Worst that will happen is they will say no- but it is a non-threatening invite to haggle. Do not bad mouth the merchandise- but it is OK to mention the cost you would incur to fix something. Do not tell how you can get the same thing cheaper elsewhere (you get invited to go get it there)

13. Devin556

Devin556 New Member

I love pawn shops. Some of the best deals come out of those places. I had a real good friend that used to own one and he taught me the tricks. He always said buy when the shelves are full cuz if their shelves are full they are gonna be in a hurry to sale to recoop their money. Pawn shops always get their stuff at dirt cheap prices and work off of a 90 to 110 percent mark up. They aren't in the business of just moving goods, they want to make good money on everything. If you notice a firearm that has been sitting on the shelf for more than a week because the price is to high thats a really good time to do some dealing. Always negotiate. Start out unreasonably low and let them work you up a little. It.makes them think they ate getting more money out of you. I always look at the price I would actually be willing to pay for an item and start my offer out 40 percent less than that, but never go over what you originally decided the limit was. They are salesmen and have a tendencies to talk people into things. If they don't want to budge on it just leave. Come back 2 days later and if it is still there they will almost always give in and take your last offer. And don't forget, money talks. A wad of cash is always a good bargaining tool. It's like their minds go haywire when they see a thick stack in front of them.

14. rhyno13

rhyno13 New Member

As a rule pawn shops are a great place to find deals if your willing to haggle. You need to do your research and visit the pawn shop at least twice a week and take notice of their stock. They are more willing to deal on items that have been on their shelves for awhile. As long as the shop can make a decent profit, they can and do make deals.

15. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

Pawn shops in NJ are a joke. No firearms first of all and they are filled more with crappy gold that they buy from wholesalers than anything. I always stop by and see if I can snag a deal on a guitar. But they don't sell anything and have the same 14 guitars there all the time. And the electronics are from a Pharaoh's tomb they're so damn old!
    The only pawn shops I've seen in NJ that have anything of relative high value were in Atlantic City.

16. Daoust_Nat

Daoust_Nat Well-Known Member Supporter

In Orlando, the only pawn shops that sell the guns have an FFL so they have some knowledge. The rest put them on Gunbroker.com. That said, like C3 said, go often, have some knowledge of what you will want to spend for what you might buy and negotiate politely. I have seen some pretty good deals go down in a couple of pawn shops around here. I have made some offers that did not result in pricing I was interested in, so I left. I will still go back and look though.

17. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

IMO, it depends on the pawn shop. there are two in the town close to where i live. one won't haggle and have new prices on used firearms. the other will haggle and deal with you as long as the offer is realistic. guess which one gets my business?

i have gotten some really decent deals on some used firearms at the second pawn shop. sometimes you can run across some unique firearms in pawn shops, that might not show up in a gun store.

18. Wiebelhaus

Wiebelhaus New Member

Sometimes, in rural areas I've had good luck, after hunting season and throw in a local meth problem you can find some good rifles.

19. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I have no idea where there is a pawn shop around here. Can't say I have ever been into one. I'll have to look into it!

20. akers06

akers06 New Member

I love gun shopping at pawn shops there are quite a few around me in the Ohio, Kentucky, west Virginia tri state area....I have probably bought just as many guns at pawn shops that I have in actual gun stores.....like a lot of others have said just know what you are looking at and be confident when trying to find a good price