Pawn shop question

Discussion in 'Michigan Gun Forum' started by Robman, Feb 20, 2016.

1. Robman

Robman New Member

My brother pawned a few of his long guns, he went to retrieve them and was denied on his NICs check due to a recent open case/warrent . what are our options? Can he sell me his pawn ticket and I can get them back for myself?( I have no intentions on giving them back to him till he gets this mess cleared and is legal to purchase) can they be transfered to me if I pay the loan? I hate to see the pawnshop keep the guns. I would like to have them for myself. I am in Michigan.

2. Artbrownsr

Artbrownsr Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

That is an interesting question as I have time I'm going to ask a local pawnshop here in the Anchorage area (Alaska, not in Michigan )and some of the answer will still be valid nation wide.

3. 25-5

25-5 New Member

Please keep in mind that the federal gov.can and will send you up that creek without a paddle. Regardless of your interpretation of the law.
    This is a straw purchase for a felon. No matter what the future holds. You can argue that it is not, but the Feds always get their man.

4. Robman

Robman New Member

OK then since you believe I would be purchasing them for him, which is not the case at all, I want to make that extremely clear, can he sell the pawn ticket to anyone else to try to recoup some of the money he would be loosing?

5. Robman

Robman New Member

BTW he's not a felon

6. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Currently the pawn shop could refuse to sell to you just because they suspect straw purchase. I do not know about the ability to sell the pawn ticket. If you want to buy them for yourself you may have to wait until the claim time expires and actually buy them from the shop as a customer. This means you will pay more than the pawn loan value, but if they are that important to you...

7. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Doesn't have to be a felon, just a person who is not currently legally able to purchase for himself.

8. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member

9. 25-5

25-5 New Member

I apologize. Felon was the wrong word to use. As is "give" to your brother, instead of transfer. My point was that your statement appears to be of a straw purchase. The gov. FBI and BATF will lie, cheat and blackmail to get you in the clink.

10. Minorcan

Minorcan Member

Just a thought; Pawn shops used to be fun places to shop and buy but they are incredibly regulated by local, state and federal laws. Some if not most of the pawn shops have learned ways to manipulate the law(s) in order to profit. Have you thought about showing up with the ticket and asking to pay off the guns? If they are honest and it is legal they will do so. If they won't then they are playing a game to get the guns for the pawn amount and make profit by selling them. They make less profit returning them to you or your brother. One other thing to consider is that if one or more of the guns have collector value that is higher than what they lent your brother, this would be strong incentive not to return them to you and sell them at collector value. These types of situations is why I no longer buy or Borrow) from Pawn shops.

11. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

New comer to this post but the original poster said he had no intentions of giving or selling back to his brother.

I also have no use for pawn shops. I had a boat stolen a small 12 foot row boat. A pawn shop paid the their a bit of money for the boat despite it having a current regustion sticker on it so it required a sign off on the Michigan regustion title yet that was not done.
    I got lucky and got my boat back because the guy who bought it from the pawn shop wanted to put a motor on it so had to get the sticker in his mane.

Now in Michigan if you buy stolen property and get caught with it your in deep ca ca and will pay a fine and or go to jail for a while.
    Yet because the pawn shop was a place of business they got away with despite not following the rules.

:D Al

12. Dallas53

whomever redeems the pawn ticket for the guns has to follow the same rules as if they were buying a gun from an FFL dealer. (in this case, the pawn shop is the FFL dealer, as they have to have an FFL license to be able to legally loan money on a firearm that is being pawned)

that person, regardless of whether it was the person who pawned the guns or just happens to be holding the pawn ticket has to fill out a Form 4473 and have background check. that is what happened when the brother went to redeem the guns he had in pawn. he failed the background check. if the OP has a clear record and presents the pawn ticket, fills out the Form 4473 and passed the background check, the pawn shop may release the pawned guns to him.

links posted in my previous post #8, from the BATF's website in regards to pawn shops and guns.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  13. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

In Florida, whoever's name is on the ticket is the ONLY one who can redeem the item,
    short of a death...in which case heirs may redeem...and that's it.

14. Dallas53

that could be due to state regulations regarding pawn shops in the state of Florida.

but from what I can determine from the BATF laws, anyone can redeem the pawn ticket as long as it meets the federal laws regarding firearms and meets state laws as well. so Florida may have stricter laws regarding who can legally redeem a pawn ticket.

and the OP may need to also check his states laws regarding redeeming a pawn ticket.

good point Mr. Shrek.