patches

Discussion in 'Blackpowder & Musket' started by BWilder, Dec 18, 2012.

1. BWilder

BWilder New Member

im going to shoot blackpowder soon for the first time, i am wondering if it matters if i buy lubricated patches or dry ones? do i mix it up every couple shots?

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Cloth patches need lube. If you are buying dry, you lube them.

3. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Find the thickness you need. Lets say you need a .015 thickness. Go to the fabric shop or Walmart. Buy a yard of cotton pillow ticking .015 thickness. You can then cut your own patches very cheap. Pick up a bottle of Hoppes BP Plus cleaner and patch lube to wet your patches. Precut lubed patches cost over 10 cents each. You can cut your cost with a much better patch.:)

4. BWilder

BWilder New Member

ok thanks. so i should put a lubed patch for every shot?

5. c3shooter

That would be yes. Lube makes it easier for the bullet to travel thru the barrel and softens black powder fouling of the bore.

And VERY good advice on the pillow ticking. Stick with cotton, no synthetics (melt)

6. orangello

orangello New Member

Gotsta have some lube for patches. Would you wanna go down a dry waterslide? :eek:

Traditions had a basic operations guide in their owner's manual at one time...
    edit* This is the Traditions manual for sidelocks (cap & flint); it is pretty basic but lists loading instructions on the 18th or 19th page of the manual. http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/cmsAdmin/uploads/PercussionFlintlock_manual.pdf

Some may debate their load suggestions, but they are a good starting point, IMO.

I prefer to buy the ziploc bag of pre-lubed yellow patches, but my shooting volume is low.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  7. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Depends on what you are shooting, ball you need a patch & buy lubed patches, conical bullets you don`t need a patch..............

8. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Make sure you use the correct thickness. It is most important that you use a patch to ball ratio that seals the bore when loaded. A common example would be a .50 Caliber rifle has a .500" bore. with a groove of .005" We would load a .490 ball with a .015" patch giving us a ball and seal diameter .505". In other words make sure you know bore size and select the proper patch and ball. When you fire the rifle if the patch catches fire smokes and burns you do not have a seal. The patch should not be burned after it is fired. A starting load for a .50 caliber rifle would be 1 grs. of powder per caliber= 50 grs. in a 50 caliber. Most Perc. rifles use a #11 cap.:)

9. BWilder

BWilder New Member

that helps out alot thanks! i have a .50 cal rifle

10. 7.62 Man

7.62 Man New Member

Are you using a side lock muzzleloader or a in-line & what brand?

11. BWilder

BWilder New Member

sidelock. i like the traditional looking rifles. its a cabelas hawkin rifle

12. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Glad you like the side locks. I shoot many matches each year in a number of SW States. I shoot Flintlock only. This is one of four Flinters that I travel with. This is a custom .54 Flinter with a 44" Rice Radius cut rifleing and a Chambers lock. It is an East Tenn. Style made by Steve Zihn.:)

Attached Files:

13. BWilder

BWilder New Member

wow that is a beautiful rifle! if you dont mind how much did that run? i want a nice flintlock to hang on the wall :)

14. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Well years ago I paid $1,800 for that rifle and waited a year. This would most likely cost much more and the wait is now 3 years from craftsman. These are made for 100 yd. and 200 yds. match shooting. These are not wall hangers.
    There are some less expensive flintlocks imported from India that would make wall hangers.

15. Barney1023

Barney1023 New Member

Ha ha funny story on the equation u use to figure the load of powder u start with lol. I got a cva inline a few years back and had no clue what a magnum barrel was. Any way I started out with what u use in my traditions which is 70 gr of powder and I was shooting powder belts which are dang expensive. Anyway got it on the paper and it looked more like a shot gun pettern. To make a long story short I adjusted the scope a half dozen times broke it down and cleaned it a half dozen more and shot about three cards of those dang power belts before I broke out the book on the gun and seen i needed to start with 110 grs lol finally got great groups with 130 grs. Moral of the story no matter how much you know always read the directions.

16. c3shooter

Barney- you have a very good point there.

Q. Why does it take 500,000 sperm to fertilize one egg?

A. Being male, they will not ask for directions.