Passing the torch

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by OldEagleEars, Aug 11, 2012.

1. OldEagleEars

OldEagleEars New Member

Yesterday, I decided that since school starts Monday I would take two of my Grandsons to the range and introduce them to the world of center-fire autopistols. The youngest is 12 and has fired my Charter and Puma SAA .22 LR revolvers and my S&W M&P 15-22 black-rifle (I ain't going to war anymore and I don't hunt anymore either so .22LR is enough for me and cheap to shoot anyway). The older boy is 18 and has fired a Remington 30-06 rifle that his mother's new boyfriend told him he could have. Both of them have heard my gun safety speeches and have been drilled on firearm protocol with my guns in a confirmed and double-checked unloaded condition. So I had them load up a bunch of magazines, fill the range bag and pistol case with goodies and off we went.
    I have three auto-loaders: a S&W Bodyguard .380 conceal-carry gun; a Glock G22C in .40 S&W; and a Rock Island Armory 1911A-1 that eats .45 ACP. At the Bullethole Range in Overland Park, Kansas I got the older boy his own membership (the young one already has a junior card) and shooting specs, got everybody into their ears, and we began with the little .380. Each boy shot a mag with the little gun with surprisingly good results for novices. Then we moved to the Glock and that got their attention, especially the "bunny-ears" of flame that the compensator slots emit. After a full mag of that each, I got out the 1911 and indicated for them to have at it. The older boy went first, gingerly expecting a fist-full of recoil fury! At the end of his 8 rounds, he turned and gave me the biggest grin I've seen since Christmas. Then his little brother stepped up to the line, hefted the RIA, slapped in a magazine and proceeded to blow seven big holes in his zombie target (one flyer but still on the paper). He also nearly broke his face grinning! I was a happy Grandpa!
    That night we watched pre-season football and cleaned guns. Could any day have been better; I got to spend time with my Grandchildren, got to shoot and watch them shoot, passed on the love of firearms to a new generation and had help cleaning my pistols! Life is good!!!

2. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Sounds like a perfect day! And a well deserved one for a fellow former Eagle.

I get to take my 20 year old son and 16 year old daughter out on Wednesday and really looking forward to it...:)

Tack

3. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Spending time with the grandkids and passing along a passion for shooting...sounds like a win-win.

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

You done good. Remember- grandchildren are your reward for not having killed their parents when they were teenagers!

5. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Great!
    Grandkids are those that I wanted my children to be.

(I can spoil them and send them home sugar filled and spoiled when they get on my nerves)

6. nickel1911

nickel1911 New Member

Sounds like a great day! Your truly blessed. Hope you continue to be blessed with days like that

7. vincent

vincent New Member

I LOVE hearing stories like this!!!

Thanks for sharing! :)

8. Blueguns

Blueguns New Member

Sounds like a blast. Glad to see the shooting sports being passed down.

9. kvtcomdo

kvtcomdo New Member

Grandkids

I was fortunate enough to have a similar experiance with my 10 year old grandson. We went to the local range and fired alot of 22LR with a Ruger 22/45 and a SingleSix as well as a S&W M&P 15-22 I just purchased. He loved the rifle the best and is becoming a quite capable shot.
    BTW, let him touch off a few rounds of 45ACP in a new Colt SS Combat Commander: he was impressed.
    Got three(3) other grandsons I'm eager to bring along as they get older; never had so much fun.

10. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

what's nice to hear is they are getting the proper experiance of firearms, and not the crap on tv, movies and video games. i am glad you had a good time and that you are passing the torch on to your grandchildren. very nice story.

11. 03Armory

03Armory New Member

Thanks for sharing. It brought a smile to my face