Parts the spend money on?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by BigSe63xy, Jul 26, 2010.

1. BigSe63xy

BigSe63xy New Member

Okay if you are trying to build an AR-15 on the cheap what would be the one part you would be willing to spend a little extra cash on to get better quality?

2. TheDaggle

TheDaggle Member

I chose to drop the extra dough on an RRA 2 stage NM trigger. Along with barrel, I would expect this to have the greatest impact on longer range shooting. I now also have a free float forearm, and I am looking at muzzle brakes to improve my target re-acquisition.
    To put this in perspective, I only built mine about 6 weeks ago so I don't really know jack :rolleyes:.

3. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Barrel and trigger group come to mind, jmho

4. BigSe63xy

BigSe63xy New Member

Well I just started researching them last night so I think you know more than I do. ;)

5. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Ah! You know you got you a weapon that was put together by you. Making it one of a kind. That's pretty cool to the likes of me anyway :cool:

6. V3ritas_A3quitas

V3ritas_A3quitas New Member

IMHO, the way to go building wise is to build the lower on your own, but order the Upper completely assembled. Personally, I did not want to really mess with any part of the Upper receiver, and spent the most money on it, as I wanted to really have a quality upper on my SUR.

Besides the upper, you can get almost all of the components of the lower relatively cheap if you shop for the right deals.

V3

7. BigSe63xy

BigSe63xy New Member

Why do you not want to work on the upper? Do you have any specific reason?

8. V3ritas_A3quitas

I just felt that there are two many key functions up there for me too mess up on. Also it is where the most money is spent (atleast on my SUR) and I wanted to make sure it was top notch quality, as the lower is much easier, and cheaper to replace/upgrade.

Just my .02 though, then again if you are more handy then I am you probably would not have a hard time.

9. canebrake

canebrake New Member

10. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Getting the proper head space and properly installing the barrel can be tricky. Also, several specialized and expensive tools and gauges are required which can consume any savings over buying a complete upper.

11. V3ritas_A3quitas

In essence, this is what I was trying to say :D

12. BigSe63xy

BigSe63xy New Member

Alright thanks guys. If I were to build one right now I'd buy the complete upper but that's not the case. I'm kinda lacking on funds right now, but that gives me some extra time to research before I jump on in. In the future, when I do build one, I might just put together my own upper.

13. BigSe63xy

BigSe63xy New Member

I have another question for you. I was thinking about it and I was wondering what you would need the gauges for? What else would you need to check besides headspace? And for that couldn't I just take it to a gunsmith and have them check it? How much would it cost to have them do that?

14. TheDaggle

TheDaggle Member

More importantly, if you buy a stripped upper and BCG separately, pay a gunsmith to see if they pair up, and they DON'T... then what? You blew money on your upper parts, paid a gunsmith, and you still have to go out and buy more stuff. If you really want to build an upper, good for you, but buy parts from the same manufacturer to play it safe, IMHO.

15. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

My reason for staying away from the upper is that I don't even know what I don't know. The learning curve for the lower is pretty simple. A little reading and a couple hours to spend jumping into it...and you can be pretty close to an expert.

The upper, on the other hand, seems to be a little more involved. Perhaps after taking apart the upper a few times to clean it will give me the experience to consider building one in the future.

16. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Dont most if not all companies sell AR barrels w/ chambers and a guide pin installed? The hardest part about installing the barrel is getting the indentions in the barrel nut to line up w/ the gas tube hole in the upper and that is fairly simple. A torque wrench is usefull for getting proper torque but it isnt required. Driving the pins w/o scratching anything is the most difficult part in my opinion. Well that and not taking a spring to the eye. I dont want anyone scared off from building an upper. Its fun and most of the times you can buy higher quality parts and still come out around the same price as buying a pre assembled upper.

17. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Don't skimp on the bolt. Get a good one that is MP stamped. M16/AR15 bolts are prone to cracking. Broken bolt=Epic fail.

Cheap barrels are a waste of money, too.

18. V3ritas_A3quitas

As you can see, I think the best bet, if you have no prior firearm experience, is to buy the Upper complete, and build and learn the lower first on your own. As you take apart and clean your gun, you'll learn more and more and then if you choose to get another AR, then I think it would be the time to build the Upper.

The money you would save by building your own Upper can be easily lost by messing up or buying cheap parts and having to replace them.