Parts problems

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by sonothdr, Aug 13, 2012.

1. sonothdr

sonothdr New Member

Does anybody have any suggestions on how to get a stuck pin in a hammer out or get out a stuck mag release screw? I've tried hammering the pin out from both sides and it just doesn't wanna come out. I'm trying to change hammers and just can't get that last pin out. And as far as the mag release screw I actually bent a screwdriver trying to get it to come out, I'm assuming it unscrews normally, counter clockwise. Any ideas???:confused:

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Welcome to FTF. First things first what gun are you working on?

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

For pins- good penetrating oil, brass punch, be sure you are pushing it in the right direction.

On a 1911 the magazine release is not held by a screw, but by a spring loaded button. Yes, i know it has a screw slot, but it is not a screw. Push it IN against the spring, and it rotates about 25 degrees, release pressure, comes out. See how part 20 fits into part 19?

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Products.aspx?catid=13010

4. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Lol didn't even realize it was the 1911 forum. (palm forehead)

5. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Hammer pin or hammer strut pin? Hammer pin comes out right side to left...after all other parts are removed. For the strut it's easier to remove hammer and strut assembly from frame then work on the strut pin...yes it can be a PIA to remove. Mag catch release...depress release fully, rotate screw 1/4 turn to left, button should come out.

6. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Welcome to the FTF. Stop by "Introductions" area and say "Hi"

Now the hint:
    Get a copy of Kuhnhausen's book on the 1911.
    Knowing the 1911 and how things fit and work together will save you money.
    Trial and error ends up in broken or non-fitting parts which have to be replaced.
    (That is from personal experience)

7. cuba

cuba New Member

Welcome aboard, to remove the mag release you have to remove the magazine, push in the release in and out while turning the release screw counter clock wise until screw moves.

The hammer pin has a flared end that should be on the left side of the pistol, and it should have fallen out when turning the pistol on its left with just a light persuasion of the pin from the right side, the only way that I can think of the pin getting stuck is if you forced it with a punch in the wrong direction, you might have to whack it hard from the right side to free it, if the flared end is wedged in the hole.

shoot safe, shoot straight, and have fun

8. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Mountainman,

Coming to your defense! With the title and not mentioning anything about the weapon I would have asked the same question, if I had not read on!;)
    So do not palm your head too hard!:D
    Great advice by JP and C3!

9. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Lol thanks I appreciate it. I just jump around too much and am often doing more than one thing at a time.