Parts For SKS

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by Sgt_Skrb_25, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Sgt_Skrb_25

Sgt_Skrb_25 New Member

Just got a SKS(Chinese) ,
    I'm already ordering a new stock kit. Are there any other upgrades that are available. I'm new to this platform. Have not shot it yet , but already know I would like to mount a scope. I know I need a receiver rail mount to go over bolt cover. Are there any internal upgrades worth looking in to? I.E , firing pin, bolt, springs ect.?

2. Sgt_Skrb_25

Sgt_Skrb_25 New Member

Also what kind of glass are people running on their SKS? I only have one scope, but calibrated for 223.

3. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Receiver cover scope mmounts are almost universally recognizd as junk. They either do not hold zero or break with dramatic regularity.

A scout type mount over the gas tube may be a better option. There are several available, but I have never tried one.

The SKS is a platform that does not lend its self to optics very smoothly. You can turbo charge a Model T, but it will give you trouble.

Ventillated handguards, aftermarket stocks, high cap (duck bill) magazines, muzzle devices , etc are accessories commonly used on the SKS. A good fixed 20 rd mag and perhaps something to increase the length of pull are about all you really need.

To prevent slam fires, I took out my firing pin, deburred and polished it. It will not bind in the bolt now and slam fires have never been an issue. I shoot a bunch of handloads through my SKS and the primers are way more sensitive than the typical ComBloc ammo

4. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

They are becoming more and more collectible, there was only a limited number imported. I would keep it original if I was you. At a minimum keep all the original parts and try not to permanently alter anything.

Most scopes are mounted by replacing the rear cover with a cover that has a built in mount. The replacement cover must be fitted tightly to the mating cover to be worth a crap.

5. therewolf

therewolf New Member

J&G Sales, Midway, Sarcoinc, and BuyMilSurp.com...:cool:

6. Sgt_Skrb_25

Sgt_Skrb_25 New Member

Has anyone tried the recoil buffer? Does it help?

7. fnzeee

fnzeee New Member

Murray's Gunsmithing.

8. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Is that like Murray's Bagels on 8th Av. & 23rd street in Manhattan?(I'll take a Pumpernickel Raisin with light creamcheese)

9. sigman84

sigman84 New Member

I had a trigger job done on mine. Much smoother now!

10. earl1412

earl1412 New Member

And when you want to blow a couple hundred on some cosmetics, try SGWorks for a bullpup kit.
    This has been an interesting work in patience to get it done, and if you have a Norinco make sure you machine down the ejection port to allow shells to eject more toward 2 o'clock instead of almost vertical.
    It'll keep things way less interesting, even if you only put a scope on top.:D
    earl

11. RUT

RUT New Member Supporter

>>The SKS is a platform that does not lend its self to optics very smoothly<<

Sad but true. And don't waste your money on recoil buffers.