Parkerized vs blued

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by MrWray, Sep 3, 2011.

1. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Whenever the gunsmith installs my beavertail he will of course have to modify the frame a tad bit. He said tht he will blue the filed areas after getting the frame the way tht it needs to b. My 1911 is parkerized so will the area tht he blues look funny or will u b able to tell?

2. EMTchad

EMTchad New Member

I have a parkerized gun too.. I think it will look weird if it has blues parts... Like the color would be off contrast. Tell him to just make it full black or something..?

3. MrWray

MrWray New Member

The beavertail is blued but i couldnt find a parked one and i didnt want a stainless one. The filed area should b small so surely it will b ok

4. EMTchad

EMTchad New Member

Show me some pics, mine looks like deep black

5. MrWray

MrWray New Member

image-525049737.jpg

Attached Files:

6. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Aluma Coat is a spray that could be used
    (but I like the look of blue or stainless aftermarket pats against a parkerized firearm.)

7. MrWray

MrWray New Member

I would b really nervous to spray coat my gun

8. wjkuleck

wjkuleck Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Hmm...well, it could turn out like this:

[​IMG]

Regards,

walt

9. MrWray

MrWray New Member

First off, very nice weapon sir.. Second, tht finish is awesome.. Im gonna put my questions in ramble form,lol.. Was it easy to apply,is it durable,does it rub off with wear and unholstering,does the oil and acid from ur hands rub it off??

10. wjkuleck

wjkuleck Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Mr. Wray, it's Cerakote. The only way to get it off is with a grit blasting cabinet. Application is straightforward, but does require some knowledge and equipment. See the Cerakote site (and/or my The M1911 Complete Assembly Guide) for details. In very brief summary, you grit blast, clean, spray and bake. Alternatively, there are certified appliers. It's about the toughest stuff going, and as I said, there's no easy way to get it off once it's cured.

Regards,

Walt

11. EMTchad

EMTchad New Member

Yeah I heard real good stuff about cerakote!

12. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Surely the gunsmith i am using knows how to make it look right and not make it just look like a patch of blueing tht looks tacky

13. EMTchad

EMTchad New Member

Good to know mate, that's exactly what my concern was!

14. neilage66

neilage66 New Member

*Let us spray* this is not your gunsmith's first rodeo and all will be well.

15. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Amen to tht brother

16. EMTchad

EMTchad New Member

Lollollll amen.

17. MrWray

MrWray New Member

I finally picked up my 1911 and the smith did an awesome job.. He went ahead and blued the whole gun and it looks amazing

18. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

MrRay

Well here goes! It is my opinion that he is not much of a Gunsmith if he does not know how to parkerize weapon parts. It is the simplest process in the world. Buy the solution, prep the part and submerse it in the solution which varies in temperature depending on the instructions. Some times from 185 to 210 degrees for the time specified.
    :rolleyes:

19. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Im still really happy with the way it turned out,im not sure if he knows how to parkerize or not. The beavertail tht i had installed was blued so maybe he blued the entire gun so it wouldnt look off contrast. But i guess he could have just parkerized the beavertail.. Regardless the gun looks awesome