Parkerized steel?

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by EMTchad, Aug 10, 2011.

1. EMTchad

EMTchad New Member

Hello again gentlemen!
    Does parkerized steel scratch very easily?if so, any pictures of scratched parkerized steel? I have some wear on mine but I'm hoping they are just brass and steel marks that can be removed with some type of chemical.

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Parkerizing is a very tough and has very good rust resistant properties, but it can scratch like any finish. It will absorb oil, so after cleaning your pistol, wipe it down with an oily rag and it will help preserve the finish.

3. EMTchad

EMTchad New Member

Hmmm. So it scratches just as easy as stainless steel?

4. CA357

I can't really say if it does or not, but probably not. I think stainless is harder to scratch. I've had both, but haven't scratched any of them to know.

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Parkerizing is a phosphate finish applied to carbon steel instead of bluing it. It is no harder than the steel below it.

6. EMTchad

EMTchad New Member

So.. That means it does scratch easy? Hey CA u have any pictures of ur parkerized that show scuff marks! I want to know if mine are scratches or just scuffs that can be taken off by chemical

7. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Idiot marks show on parkerized firearms just like stainless or blued.
    (don't ask how I know)

8. EMTchad

EMTchad New Member

How do you know!? Lol yeah idiot marks do but they are actual deep scratches, I'm talking about like scuffs that looks like a coin rubbed against it real gently and got the color on it. Wondering if those type of scratch or mark comes right off

9. CA357

I don't have anything Parkerized right now, but I will around the end of the month. ;)

There are some pretty hard finishes out there. Robar for one is very scratch resistant, but no finish is impervious.

BTW, I love Parkerized guns. As they age, they develop a beautiful (to me) gray or gray green patina. I prefer Parkerized or stainless over blued finishes.

However, some guns are just classic with a blued finish. Colt revolvers had an incredibly deep blue finish. Colt Sauer rifles had it too. There's nothing else like it.

10. CA357

I when I had my Sistema 1911 refinished I sent it to CCR and had it done in "House Black" Cera Hide.

Link: CCR-REFINISHING

Gratuitous 1911 photo:

[​IMG]

11. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I have seen some with scuff marks from spent casings and where someone used a brass punch to drift a sight. Brass comes off easily with an eraser from a pencil.

12. EMTchad

EMTchad New Member

Oh cool I will try the eraser method!

13. EMTchad

EMTchad New Member

I tried it... I tried it hard.. The brass would not come offy parkerized at all...

14. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Did you try wiping it down with gun oil?

15. EMTchad

EMTchad New Member

Yes I have. Won't work either

16. CA357

As long as it's not super caustic, spray some of your gun cleaner on the spot. Then wipe it down with oil. That should remove it.

17. CA357

Chad, try the cleaner in an unobtrusive site first, like under the grips. ;)

18. AznZOhAn

AznZOhAn New Member

Take a pencil eraser and it should ebb off is it is just brass marks.

19. AznZOhAn

AznZOhAn New Member

2 questions, first, is the mc operator cerakoted? And is how good is cerakote?

20. EMTchad

EMTchad New Member

Already tried pencil eraser does not work, tried hoppes solvent and then cleaned with oil, that did not work either.