parker hale enfield sporter

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by group17, Nov 2, 2009.

1. group17

group17 New Member

Just picked up this nice little sporter.
    From what I have found out it is a
    R.O.F.M. NO4 MK1 1941 Parker Hale sporter 303 w/ Matching SN # 015569 on the receiver, barrel and bolt.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

It looks well done. Have you fired it yet?

3. group17

group17 New Member

No, I haven't but the bore is very clean and I just picked up 2 boxes of 303.
    Hopefully in the next two weeks.

4. CA357

Excellent. Post a range report & pics when you take it out.

5. agoetz2005

agoetz2005 New Member

I have fired 2 that look just like that. One was still in .303, and one was in 45-70. What a little thumper she is.

6. RCHanlin

RCHanlin New Member

Not a bad looking rifle.. I normally don't like milsurps that have been sporterized especially the Nagants and the Enfields cause they normally look goofy to me that way but yours was done pretty well.

I'm also waiting for a range report :) tell us how you like it..

7. group17

group17 New Member

Thanks RCHanlin,
    I haven't had a chance to take it to the range yet. Hoping to Black Friday, weather permitting. I want to take along a Beretta 84 BB I just acquired. Actually found a couple boxes of 380 to test it with this past week.
    Will give a range report ASAP.

8. RCHanlin

RCHanlin New Member

I'll be looking for it..

9. agoetz2005

agoetz2005 New Member

You should replace the 300/600 yard battle sight with the Proper Peep sight. It uses the same pin, plunger and Spring.

SMLE Original Milled Rear Sight | e-GunParts.com

I am legally blind, and I can shoot shotgun clays and bowling Pins at 100 yards with the No5 Jungle Carbine that I so dearly enjoy. It has the Milled Sight.

10. RCHanlin

RCHanlin New Member

Here are the sights that came on an Enfield that I just got through working on: Slightly differtent from the ones I'm used to seeing.

Enfield sight 001.jpg

Enfield sight 002.jpg

11. group17

group17 New Member

Took her out to the range on Sat. What a sweet rifle. Shot like a dream. Front of the gun liked to jump a bit off the sand bag. My biggest problem was seeing any detail on the target at 100 yards. Hit the 8.5 x11" target everytime just couldn't see the bulls eye at that distance. 50 yards nice 2" groups slightly low to the right. A little sight adjustments to the left and almost right on. I have a feeling Santa's bringing me a scope or a suggested new peep sight for Christmas.

12. flyingbrickracing

flyingbrickracing New Member

I'll bet she jumps off the bag!.Nice looking sporter,glad to hear it's a shooter as well.

13. CA357

Cool beans. :D

14. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

Glad it shoots for ya!!
    I just found this post--- my no4 mk1 has this type rear sight. Guess they came with different sights??
    [​IMG]
    Not my pic, but same sight

15. Dcomf

Dcomf New Member

They also came with micrometer sites.

To group17: Maybe you need a bigger target to see at 100 yards. I'm not sure of your target type but open sights require a larger target than you would normally use for a scoped rifle. Do you use any sort of sight black to dull reflective metal on the sights? That will go a way towards improving clarity. What type of hold do you use? 6 o'clock?

16. RCHanlin

RCHanlin New Member

Another variation I've got on my No.4

A variation of a rear sight I'd not seen before on Enfields. May be hard to distinguish from this picture (sorry) but it is different from the posted picture above.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 12, 2009
  17. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

looks some what like....

It looks somewhat like the Golden State Santa Fe sporter

Golden State Arms - Santa Fe Sporter.

I got one for my 13th birthday almost 40 yrs. ago. and have done a little updating since. It was $37 back then. I don't believe in butchering milsurps myself but it was already started when I got it. I do have a #4 mk1 Savage made in full military. But the Santa Fe is now my pet rifle. It shoots 1-1/2 moa with a cheap Tasco and factory ammo.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/...4-mod-santa-fe-golden-state-arms-303-brit.jpg.

I know this is an old post but I was in C&R trying to get info on an old shotgun and saw this post, thought you might be interested.

18. group17

group17 New Member

Finally got around to trying a scope on her. It is a vast improvement to the peep sight that came with her IMO. Zeroed in just fine and everything can be put back to original in short order.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]