Parker Hale 1861 Musketoon, best conicals?

Discussion in 'Blackpowder & Musket' started by gunhorde, Mar 21, 2012.

1. gunhorde

gunhorde New Member

Who's got the best .58 cal conicals for a Parker Hale 1861 Enfield Musketoon? I bought the rifle used and it came with a whole box of cast 550gr bullets but I'm getting low... I've also been using 90-110gr of FFg powder, does anyone have recommended loadings for this rifle? I haven't had it out to shoot NEARLY as often as I'd like to, and I want to get it dialed in for deer season next fall...

TIA.

Gunhorde

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I usually go with hornady. Your best load is probably somewhere between 58 and 80 grains. You need to figure out what the gun likes. Start at 58 grains and see how she groups and move it up about 5 grains and try again. Eventually you will get to the point where the increase doesn't make a difference or grouping actually drops off. The load before that is your best load.
    Minimum amount of powder and best accuracy.

3. gunhorde

gunhorde New Member

Thanks, I'll check with Hornady, and dial back my powder load. The previous owner was starting at 90gr so I was using that for the base load, guess I was going in the wrong direction!

4. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Probably a safe load and I'm sure it works with the conicals but its likely not necessary.